Amazon DSP driver here

Bob11B

Some people can be difficult for no apparent reason. I tried delivering this company’s paychecks via their delivery entrance, the doors are locked but there’s a doorbell. I rang that bell five or six times over 5 minutes (gave them extra time because it was their damn paychecks). I must note the door bell is loud and can be heard thru the whole office, even through the door. No one answered. Screw it, I’ll walk in the front door.

As soon as I walk in the receptionist stops me, “Sorry! All deliveries thru the back door.”

“I was just back there waiting for five minutes, no one came out.”

“Okay I’ll let them know.”

“I’m not playing games. These are your PAYCHECKS. You can either sign for them here or I sheet you up as closed and we will try again tomorrow.”

“All deliveries must go thru the back!”

I smiled, said “have a nice day” and left. Of course I get a page later, ‘customer at X business requests a reattempt.’ Whatever, they close at 6 so I showed up at 5:58 and walked in the front door. Half their office was standing there waiting for their checks, the receptionist’s face was beat red with embarrassment.

“Okay, who wants to sign for this?”
I would have not re attempted to teach them a lesson but I’m sure you wanted to do the same thing...

Whither

Scofflaw
Wow, this is identical to my story. Hope I succeed at and like driving as much as you do!

I wish you well! If UPS cuts you loose after peak, definitely check out the trades. Have you talked with drivers at your building to learn if they're understaffed and whether they've been hiring permanent drivers lately?

SLW

I will. Haven't got a chance to talk to any drivers here yet, but my buddy who's been doing preload for quite awhile now says they're desperate for them. I'll ask around when I go in next week.

Zowert

I would have not re attempted to teach them a lesson but I’m sure you wanted to do the same thing...

Of course I did, however, after thinking about it I didn’t want everyone else to go without their checks because of one stubborn idiot. Must’ve been a lot of people living paycheck to paycheck at that place because there were a lot of them waiting for me when I showed up again.

McBoobo.

Hey y'all. I've been working for an Amazon DSP in the Kansas City area for a couple months. Just created an account here, but I've been lurking about BC for a few weeks to see if it's worth the trouble 'paying my dues' at UPS or else trying to get on with FedEx Express. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info re: Amazon in this forum, so ask all your burning questions, ha. I'd write a detailed review of the job but that'd be a TL;DR post.

For starters I'll say: it's not nearly as bad as I had expected. Took it because after 2 years I couldn't stand working in restaurant kitchens any longer. Was thinking it would serve as a source of stop-gap income until spring when I would have a chance of landing a union apprenticeship in one of the construction trades. Now we're on the cusp of spring. I have my eligibility letters from the bricklayers, plumbers, and pipefitters, but I'm having second thoughts ... since I actually like the job -- mediocre pay, other warts and all.

While I don't give a rat's ass about Amazon or my DSP (or any company for that matter, ha), I'm on the later side of my thirties and it's surprising to come home in a good mood after a long day's work. Didn't think that was possible. Maybe it's just the right amount of physical labor, since (for now) we don't deliver any over-50s, and (for now) the absence of micromanagement. Maybe extreme driver turnover (across all the DSPs at my station) is keeping the micromanagement at bay, ha.

Anyway. Enjoy reading the threads here, thanks for all the helpful info and laughs.
I know I’ll probably get hate on here for reviving an old thread but awesome posts man. After reading the first few posts I I thought you were some bipolar blowhard, but that was just you having a lot of confidence.
I’m not a UPS driver but I considered it a decade ago after I never got the chance to interview for the post office due to hiring freezes.
That’s a pretty anxiety ridden 30 day probation you went through. I’m sure the driving experience with Amazon helped immensely. UPS workers is a grueling gig. I’m 100% I would disqualify. I’m very fortunate to work for a Union company myself. I make a tad more than a UPS driver but you guys work wayyy harder than me. I could not do what you guys do.