Amazon DSP driver here

It will be fine

Scratched it with my on-car in the jump seat scrutinizing my every move. That's 5 in a row. And 6 of my last 7. Asked about my telematics reports, said I've not been flagged, would've had a talking with me otherwise.

11 more days of probation, including 1 with the center manager in my jump seat, and that's all folks.
The center manager has time to sit in the jump seat all day for every new hire? UPS sounds stupid.

Whither

Scofflaw
The center manager has time to sit in the jump seat all day for every new hire? UPS sounds stupid.

It is stupid -- but not because it doesn't make business sense. Just more UPS micro-management. My package car can't touch a leaf on this ride wo my center mgr's approval, lol. ...

MAKAVELI

I would think the manager of the entire building would have better things to do than ride along with a newbie. If he can't trust his subordinates to observe a new driver he should find new subordinates.
It's a union company. Once a driver passes probation it's almost impossible to fire them, (permanently). It makes perfect sense.

Feeder665

Go big or go home!
Generally the manager will only ride the first couple hours. Say, until your 10:30 commits are completed. Maybe a tad longer. They won’t tell you, but generally they’ll jump off and get picked up because of various problems, or they just simply trust you. I don’t think I’ve once seen a center manager complete a trip unless he intends to fail the probationers.

Whither

Scofflaw
Jesus, UPS has so much lingo it gives me a headache. LOL Good job man.

So true. Prolly take me a year to get it all straight, ha.

In other news, had 2 people play games of chicken with me in intersections today. Saw each coming a mile away. My polite, then more insistent, horn taps didn't deter the drivers -- so, twice, I almost came to a complete stop in the middle of the intersection until the drivers finally yielded the right of way. Another day at the office.

Whither

Scofflaw
Generally the manager will only ride the first couple hours. Say, until your 10:30 commits are completed. Maybe a tad longer. They won’t tell you, but generally they’ll jump off and get picked up because of various problems, or they just simply trust you. I don’t think I’ve once seen a center manager complete a trip unless he intends to fail the probationers.

Prolly only an hour or so other drivers told me. On-car in the jump seat several hours yesterday and alluded to qualifying me several days ahead of schedule. "You've got your scratches, the packet is complete except for center mgr ride, I'm ready to get you out there. Just don't hit anything!" I asked if I had heard correctly and on-car confirmed. We'll see.

Sup got to witness me avoid a collision. Was raving rest of the ride-along about how alertly and smoothly I reacted. It would have been bad.

Today 120 delivery stops, 450 pieces. Had another one of those odd bulk resi stops addressed to a 'business' (26 pieces, 9 irregs, easily 500 lbs of cargo) ... ran into the customer and asked "Where's the dock?" C'mon. Took me til 1p to reliably clear a walk path thru the cargo area: so much bulk, so many irregs. Picked up 200 more.

I can't wait til I'm a Teamster. No more working off the clock, no more worrying about production standards.

Whither

Scofflaw
Got called an a-hole via Ring doorbell as I toted back a 30lb sig-required pkg. NI3. And I had tried to work out an agreement with this consignee via the damn doorbell during NI1 but they didn't show even when I altered the route and had to NI2 at 1740. Today I show and have to explain that a signed infonotice doesn't work, as I circled. "My husband is home! I'll call him!" "Okay, I'll give you 30 seconds, I have to keep moving." "He's there, I swear!" Took my time with the service cross and sheeting since I also had 3 pkgs to DR, and ofc there were no signs of life. Sorry, not sorry, that's our final attempt, you dropped the ball. I NI1'd some bulky car parts at a sketchy duplex today and the guy figured out how to get them held for Will Call, no bitching, so ...

Had a forklift driver give me tude earlier in the day at an always crap-shoot industrial stop. Didn't want to give his name for CIR because I had left the package at the dock office (door to office is unsecured, adjacent door to dock is secured). No problem, I said, I'll go fetch the package. He said, No, I don't want the damn package! I said, well, I'm going to get it. I did, then climbed up on the damn dock, safely enough but still foolish (won't do this after qualifying), got his attention and he repeated he didn't want the package. Said, "That's fine, I'll mark it refused and return it to station." "No! Don't do that!" "Okay, what's your last name?" CIR'ed the pkg, told him have a nice day, climbed down the dock, and heard him kick the pkg as I left lol.

Zowert

Got called an a-hole via Ring doorbell as I toted back a 30lb sig-required pkg. NI3. And I had tried to work out an agreement with this consignee via the damn doorbell during NI1 but they didn't show even when I altered the route and had to NI2 at 1740. Today I show and have to explain that a signed infonotice doesn't work, as I circled. "My husband is home! I'll call him!" "Okay, I'll give you 30 seconds, I have to keep moving." "He's there, I swear!" Took my time with the service cross and sheeting since I also had 3 pkgs to DR, and ofc there were no signs of life. Sorry, not sorry, that's our final attempt, you dropped the ball. I NI1'd some bulky car parts at a sketchy duplex today and the guy figured out how to get them held for Will Call, no bitching, so ...

Had a forklift driver give me tude earlier in the day at an always crap-shoot industrial stop. Didn't want to give his name for CIR because I had left the package at the dock office (door to office is unsecured, adjacent door to dock is secured). No problem, I said, I'll go fetch the package. He said, No, I don't want the damn package! I said, well, I'm going to get it. I did, then climbed up on the damn dock, safely enough but still foolish (won't do this after qualifying), got his attention and he repeated he didn't want the package. Said, "That's fine, I'll mark it refused and return it to station." "No! Don't do that!" "Okay, what's your last name?" CIR'ed the pkg, told him have a nice day, climbed down the dock, and heard him kick the pkg as I left lol.

Some people can be difficult for no apparent reason. I tried delivering this company’s paychecks via their delivery entrance, the doors are locked but there’s a doorbell. I rang that bell five or six times over 5 minutes (gave them extra time because it was their damn paychecks). I must note the door bell is loud and can be heard thru the whole office, even through the door. No one answered. Screw it, I’ll walk in the front door.

As soon as I walk in the receptionist stops me, “Sorry! All deliveries thru the back door.”

“I was just back there waiting for five minutes, no one came out.”

“Okay I’ll let them know.”

“I’m not playing games. These are your PAYCHECKS. You can either sign for them here or I sheet you up as closed and we will try again tomorrow.”

“All deliveries must go thru the back!”

I smiled, said “have a nice day” and left. Of course I get a page later, ‘customer at X business requests a reattempt.’ Whatever, they close at 6 so I showed up at 5:58 and walked in the front door. Half their office was standing there waiting for their checks, the receptionist’s face was beat red with embarrassment.

“Okay, who wants to sign for this?”

Last edited:

KOG72

I’m full of it
Some people can be difficult for no apparent reason. I tried delivering this company’s paychecks via their delivery entrance, the doors are locked but there’s a doorbell. I rang that bell five or six times over 5 minutes (gave them extra time because it was their damn paychecks). I must note the door bell is loud and can be heard thru the whole office, even through the door. No one answered. Screw it, I’ll walk in the front door.

As soon as I walk in the receptionist stops me, “Sorry! All deliveries thru the back door.”

“I was just back there waiting for five minutes, no one came out.”

“Okay I’ll let them know.”

“I’m not playing games. These are your PAYCHECKS. You can either sign for them here or I sheet you up as closed and we will try again tomorrow.”

“All deliveries must go thru the back!”

I smiled, said “have a nice day” and left. Of course I get a page later, ‘customer at X business requests a reattempt.’ Whatever, they close at 6 so I showed up at 5:58 and walked in the front door. Half their office was standing there waiting for their checks, the receptionist’s face was beat red with embarrassment.

“Okay, who wants to sign for this?”
Just to be an :censored2: I would’ve waited till the next day

Whither

Scofflaw
How has it been going since qualifying?

Some rough days, some smooth. All depends on the dispatch and load quality. I'm settling in. Plenty of OT haha. I got my benefit info packet by mail tonight. Damn these are killer benefits! Better than my wife's as a union electrician. ;)

Saw a couple of my driving school classmates this morning walking in. Both reported only to find out they had been DQ'ed for not running scratch, one of them was off-the-street like me and it was his second DQ ... ugh, that's it. Feel bad for 'em.

SLW

Took it because after 2 years I couldn't stand working in restaurant kitchens any longer. Was thinking it would serve as a source of stop-gap income until spring when I would have a chance of landing a union apprenticeship in one of the construction trades.

Wow, this is identical to my story. Hope I succeed at and like driving as much as you do!

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Some rough days, some smooth. All depends on the dispatch and load quality. I'm settling in. Plenty of OT haha. I got my benefit info packet by mail tonight. Damn these are killer benefits! Better than my wife's as a union electrician. ;)

Saw a couple of my driving school classmates this morning walking in. Both reported only to find out they had been DQ'ed for not running scratch, one of them was off-the-street like me and it was his second DQ ... ugh, that's it. Feel bad for 'em.

That's kinda ballsy to be letting go of drivers with peak season around the corner... will they be asked to come in as seasonal drivers? They're already cleared for the background check, have their DOT cards, already exposed to the Diad V, and accustomed to your terminal.

Wait, that would make took much sense, LoL