Amazon Hub Votes to Unionize

rod

Retired 22 years
I wish them all the luck in the world organizing. When it comes right down to it the only true power a Union has is STRIKING. Can he get his people to strike? I doubt it. Even a big Union like the Teamsters can't get their people to vote for a strike anymore.

542thruNthru

I wish them all the luck in the world organizing. When it comes right down to it the only true power a Union has is STRIKING. Can he get his people to strike? I doubt it. Even a big Union like the Teamsters can't get their people to vote for a strike anymore.
True but the big issue is going to be that they are a fulfillment center and Amazon can redirect packages to another fulfillment center to minimize loses. If it was a delivery or sort center it would be different.

It's going to be a very hard fought battle but it's a step in the right direction and empowers Amazon workers and let's them know that it is possible to take on Amazon.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We shall see….
This pic says it all…young brother who pretty much looks like a young gun, a rapper, social media dude…the youngsters who work in the Warehouse can relate to him…youth leading youth. If hof was there do you really think that a bunch of 20-40 year olds can relate to a 82 year old throwing up his fists and Squawking through a bullhorn…Teamsters and other unions are you paying attention to this??? A learning lesson right in front of your eyes.

Thebrownblob

I heard Sean is already trying to reach out to Chris Smalls.

Definitely going to be a long battle. Hopefully they can get Amazon to the table to get a contract done.
Amazon will drag their feet in negotiating. Could be years before they actually have a contract. Many people will quit before they even get close. We shall see. Having said that New York was the right place to start to organize, I have no idea why the other union started in Alabama.

Thebrownblob

Money better spent than what they wasted on Biden who once in office squashed union jobs.
Well that’s just not how it works lol. Each local union has an executive board that has to approve that kind of thing. Generally speaking that money is for local organizing of their own and we also have our own union members to answer to. Joe Biden has nothing to do with it.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Amazon will drag their feet in negotiating. Could be years before they actually have a contract. Many people will quit before they even get close. We shall see. Having said that New York was the right place to start to organize, I have no idea why the other union started in Alabama.
But the door has been cracked open… you get some of the locations in California, Oregon, Washington, New England area etc…start filing for union representation and the company will have to start bargaining. Look at Starbucks, nobody thought it would happen and the company fought it tooth and nail… they are going to have hundreds of stores unionized within the next year or 2….I’m hoping that working class folks have finally become woke.

Thebrownblob

But the door has been cracked open… you get some of the locations in California, Oregon, Washington, New England area etc…start filing for union representation and the company will have to start bargaining. Look at Starbucks, nobody thought it would happen and the company fought it tooth and nail… they are going to have hundreds of stores unionized within the next year or 2….I’m hoping that working class folks have finally become woke.
No doubt it’s a good deal, I’m just saying it’s nowhere near over. Lots of work left to do.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
No doubt it’s a good deal, I’m just saying it’s nowhere near over. Lots of work left to do.
Absolutely… it’s going to be very interesting how the Teamsters go forward with this…I could see Amazon employees want to continue with the grassroots organizing using folks who have first hand experience with what goes on inside their workplace…. Not some folks from Washington who are now trying to come in and jump on the bandwagon …I think there’s room for both groups to be involved going forward but we’ll see how it all pans out.

542thruNthru

I may be mistaken but ALU will have a year to secure a contract and then Amazon will begin trying to get members to decertify the union.

Thebrownblob

I may be mistaken but ALU will have a year to secure a contract and then Amazon will begin trying to get members to decertify the union.
That’s exactly what Amazon will try to do. And the many original people who voted for it will have quit. Much it will be because of harassment and intimidation, that of course Amazon will deny, so at that point Amazon will want the decertify vote with a bunch of new brainwashed employees who they probably gave raises and all kinds of things too.