Amazon orders 20000 vans

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
tenor.gif
Bean-The-Ultimate-Disaster-Waving.gif

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Those are stoopid-looking vans. Nobody is gonna want their package dropped off by a stoopid-looking van. Neighbors will mock and ridicule... perhaps hurl a projectile or two :headache:

OrioN

Eh, FWD... guess the local dsp knows that some of my rural area knows to get that type of drivetrain for the winter season

Better to be in a marked vehicle than in some random civilian pvd car or suv, eh?

Mebbe they know maintenance costs will be slightly cheaper than the feightliner as posted earlier on this thread

Star B

White Lightening
ugh, the promaster. possibly the worst delivery vehicle made in recent times. I actually worked with our service agent to make sure that we *never* rented any of those ever again and I had to put her in the drivers seat to show her why.

We also have a station full of tall people and those ducatis are built for short italians.

OrioN

Uh, that's not good news...with the clutch disc/plate of a manual transmission, but controlled by a computer.

I prefer the Ford transit though.

I'm short enough for both.

Saw them on my route today too.

The amount of Amazon fulfillment centers are outpacing FedEx terminals over the past 5 years in my area.

Pretty soon, flex drivers will be out of work or have to take unfavorable routes. Dsps are cheaper overall, it seems

FedGT

ugh, the promaster. possibly the worst delivery vehicle made in recent times. I actually worked with our service agent to make sure that we *never* rented any of those ever again and I had to put her in the drivers seat to show her why.

We also have a station full of tall people and those ducatis are built for short italians.
My brother had one that he delivered in and liked it quite a bit. For my new business I drive through the majority of the mountain west and needed a high roof van. Ended up buying a promaster 2500. As long as you get the extended wings for bulkhead it is pretty decent. Tall enough for someone 6’3 to stand up and not hit their head. Also with front wheel drive it is pretty beneficial for mountain snow. Typically avg about 15 mpg on reg unleaded too.

Star B

White Lightening
My brother had one that he delivered in and liked it quite a bit. For my new business I drive through the majority of the mountain west and needed a high roof van. Ended up buying a promaster 2500. As long as you get the extended wings for bulkhead it is pretty decent. Tall enough for someone 6’3 to stand up and not hit their head. Also with front wheel drive it is pretty beneficial for mountain snow. Typically avg about 15 mpg on reg unleaded too.

Maybe the ones from enterprise were the short ones or something but I always had to put the seat way back otherwise I couldn't see out the front windshield and I'm 6'3". That and just the placement of the shifter and stuff made for a cramped drivers section. I have no issues with the Mercedes or the Transit drivers areas.

FedGT

Maybe the ones from enterprise were the short ones or something but I always had to put the seat way back otherwise I couldn't see out the front windshield and I'm 6'3". That and just the placement of the shifter and stuff made for a cramped drivers section. I have no issues with the Mercedes or the Transit drivers areas.
Did it have a bulkhead?
If so it probably didn’t have the extended wings. My brothers didn’t and I hated the promaster. I almost didn’t even look at one but ended up stopping by and checking it out. Very surprising what 4” of space can do since the recline/lowering mech is engineered so weird. Very comfortable in this one.

FedGT

Like you already touched on. I do have the 159 WB opposed to the 136 WB. I don’t think that changed the seating but maybe it does since my bros was a 136 too that I hated.

OrioN

Which model? Apparently Amazon ordered more than just the freightliner.

Promasters and Transit cargo vans are running rampant in my delivery area and home neighborhood

Yozh69

Which model? Apparently Amazon ordered more than just the freightliner.

Promasters and Transit cargo vans are running rampant in my delivery area and home neighborhood
Nah, not Freightliners OR Sprinters. Too small. Maybe those Ram Vans/Promasters. They didn't look like Fords.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Funny. People poke fun of Ground but when Amazon brings up the same business model they will "crush" everyone.
Yes, but we know these Amazonian types are going to be real go-getters, as Amazon has always been famous for high employee satisfaction and retention due to their extremely generous compensation and benefits package - not to mention the historically relaxed and open work atmosphere.
Indeed, the crush is nigh, my friend. :mellow:

dmac1

Funny. People poke fun of Ground but when Amazon brings up the same business model they will "crush" everyone.

BTW, I've seen the new Amazon vans on flatbeds.
Difference is that Amazon is generally the seller of the item, not just an intermediary. In most cases, Amazon will be the seller and the shipper. Not having seen Amazon delivery in action yet, but knowing that fedex ground is really a huge clusterfork one computer glitch away from complete collapse, and knowing that I've had fewer scewups in deliveries because of fedex rather than Amazon on Amazon purchases, I give Amazon the edge until they prove they are just as bad.

Bingo

Yes, but we know these Amazonian types are going to be real go-getters, as Amazon has always been famous for high employee satisfaction and retention due to their extremely generous compensation and benefits package - not to mention the historically relaxed and open work atmosphere.
Indeed, the crush is nigh, my friend. :mellow:
You must have Amazon mixed up with Google- Amazon is not a very good company to work for- numerous employee complaints and a very bad 60 minute episode. Bezo makes Fred S look like Santa Clause