Amazon orders 20000 vans

Mutineer

As much fun as it is to speculate what sort of misery Amazon contractors will find themselves in, nobody will know anything until the horror stories start rolling onto the web a few years from now.

Because they will. They have to. However, it wouldn't surprise me if Amazon has the power to suppress the kinds of stories that don't fit their narrative.

I've watched a few of the propaganda ads that Amazon has put out regarding this matter. With their nausea inducing, specially selected, diverse cast of poster children grinning like little lap dogs caught feasting in a cat-litter box.

And then we can all read the stories and laugh. And pat ourselves on the back for knowing all along what a money-sucking, boondoggle it turned out to be. When in reality, we didn't know squat.

Someone once said: "A Lie will have traveled half way around the world before the Truth has had a chance to get it's shoes on."

bacha29

The cargo vans were not supposed to get 'too small' because routes weren't supposed to get so big. I was in the first wave of HD terminals, day one of HD and was promised small packages, and the ability to service only one zip code if I wanted, and work part time as long as my zip was covered. The person doing the recruitment meeting was very knowledgable and was a terminal manager for a national trucking firm before fedex talked him into leaving for HD. HD started accepting ANYTHING including packages that were way bigger than promised. And fedex quickly found that the daily van allowance was way too high to allow people to leave without at least 8-9 hours of work, and dropped the 'part-time' promise that they had used. HD was advertised as the perfect part-time job for home makers and retirees in the recruitment ad. The ability to 'set your own hours was NEVER really honest because HD allowed people to set 'appointments' as late as 8 pm, and you couldn't start late even if you had a light load and 8 pm appointment deliveries because the managers were required to 'clear' the manifest by 10 am(?).SO you had to be there but I guess could wait and start delivering later if you wanted. But they also required the original 13 drivers to cover much more than contracted, saying that we (independent contractors) needed to be 'team' players and help out until volume grow, and of course they wanted to cover the area with as few drivers as possible, which led me to driving regularly as much as 400 miles and working from 8 am until 11 pm on a regular basis for almost 2 years. Yes, I was screwed by believing the promises.
Your comments bring back similar memories. The whole damn thing was a lie right from the very get go. Nothing those people do or say can be deemed trustworthy or believable . Much of my time was spent catching them in a lie or flat out ignoring much of what they told me. Moreover today when a contractor sells his contract all he's really doing is passing the lie off onto someone else. Chances are the first generation of ADP contractors will be doing the same thing.

Zowert

More idiots on the road following GPS instead learning their delivery area. It’s bad enough dealing with all the Uber and Lyft dipshyts, stopping in the middle of a busy one way road to pick people up. Now it’s gonna be a bunch of vans with drivers distracted by their GPS.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I dunno why this is in the FedEx section & not in that other part of BC...

But I found the site for becoming a DSP driver

Working at Delivery Services Providers

Hmm, I'll add my name in the mix & stir things up... others can apply just to see what they are offering to the table

Oops, I posted this in the other section,

They better train these drivers not to be like LaserShip

Last edited:

OrioN

Then u better go and tell UPS, uber, lyft, door dash, laser ship, Amazon flex, Amazon dsp's, dominoes pizza, pizza hut or any other food delivery service, sleepys or matress companies, furniture movers, etc... not to use their windshield mount GPS units!

Most of the factory installed screens are too low and in the middle of a dashboard for a driver to be looking at it anyways.

I just covered 2 routes today in the blind, butt with my GPS units on the windshield, I made all of the deliveries for the day with no incident...

685595.gif

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Then u better go and tell UPS, uber, lyft, door dash, laser ship, Amazon flex, Amazon dsp's, dominoes pizza, pizza hut or any other food delivery service, sleepys or matress companies, furniture movers, etc... not to use their windshield mount GPS units!

Most of the factory installed screens are too low and in the middle of a dashboard for a driver to be looking at it anyways.

I just covered 2 routes today in the blind, butt with my GPS units on the windshield, I made all of the deliveries for the day with no incident...

685595.gif
Drivers using features such as voice-based and touch-screen technology took their hands, eyes and mind off the road for more than 24 seconds to complete tasks, the study found. This is enough to put the drive at risk of a serious accident: Previous research from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that the risk of a crash doubles when a driver takes his or her eyes off the road for two seconds. Worse, programming navigation took an average of 40 seconds to complete.

GPS, smartphones and speed keep road deaths at 10-year high

For once. I agree with Mak.

OrioN

...off the road for more than 24 seconds to complete tasks
Oh snap, u don't do that while rolling!

I don't touch the unit when rolling... if needed, you touch it when stopped at a delivery point. The Garmin is loaded up in stop order already.

Ps~ why is ups trying the turn by turn software on their diads?

We tried it a couple years ago, but it took too long to toggle between the GPS and manifest on the Motorola power pad

OrioN

And so it begins in my area...

Saw in a shopping center on my way home from my easy day today. 100 dodge promasters that were wrapped in Amazon logos... and 200 various rental cargo vans Ford transit, e 250s , gmc cargo van s, no box trucks . No Mercedes freightliners though

Apparently, there's no parking space in the Amazon fulfillment center for these vehicles.

Weird that they have the day off while FedEx, UPS, and usps were on road...

Last edited:

It will be fine

And so it begins in my area...

Saw in a shopping center on my way home from my easy day today. 100 dodge promasters that were wrapped in Amazon logos... and 200 various rental cargo vans Ford transit, e 250s , gmc cargo van s, no box trucks . No Mercedes freightliners though

Apparently, there's no parking space in the Amazon fulfillment center for these vehicles.

Weird that they have the day off while FedEx, UPS, and usps were on road...
They don’t have days off. They run 365, one of the reasons their contracts aren’t as enticing. I’m sure we’ll get there eventually though.

OrioN

<shrugs> I'll know of the Amazon drivers, both flex and dsp, wear the safely vest as their main uniform... didn't see any in both my service area and home neighborhood

Last edited: