Amazon paid ZERO Federal tax last year

rod

Retired 22 years
Although they made an 11.2 BILLION dollar profit their tax liability for last year is ZERO-nothing-nada. In fact they are getting a $129 MILLION dollar refund. Any comments?

BrownArmy

And folks are crying about the failed NYC deal

Please.

I paid more Federal taxes this year, last year, and probably next year than Amazon did.

Let that sink in...

I’m a private citizen in a Union making an above-average wage with a pension?

And I’m paying more taxes than Amazon?

Are you fkg kidding me?

Lololol, lets give Amazon a subsidy!!!

(This is why we haven’t been contacted by aliens, they died on their own planets, due to climate change and unwarranted and ridiculous subsidies to overly rich corporations)...

rod

Retired 22 years
No one should be mad at Amazon as much as they’re mad at Congress. Congress wrote the tax laws.

I agree. It pisses me off but anybody would be stupid not to take advantage of the tax laws the way they are written. They need changed. If you have an 11 Billion dollar profit you should be paying "something". And no way should you be getting a refund.

vantexan

Y'all do realize that they went about 14 years with hardly any profit? That this is the result of writing off losses and expenditures? They'll be paying more taxes soon, but in the meantime they are providing a lot of jobs. Taxes are reaped one way or another.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I agree. It pisses me off but anybody would be stupid not to take advantage of the tax laws the way they are written. They need changed. If you have an 11 Billion dollar profit you should be paying "something". And no way should you be getting a refund.
But we had to lower corporate tax rates because they were the highest in the world. What a :censored2:ing joke.

rod

Retired 22 years
Y'all do realize that they went about 14 years with hardly any profit? That this is the result of writing off losses and expenditures? They'll be paying more taxes soon, but in the meantime they are providing a lot of jobs. Taxes are reaped one way or another.

I think most of understand how it happens but the tax laws still need a MAJOR overhaul. They are way too complicated with way too many loop-holes.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
He has a point .
No doubt.
Problem is, FAANG stocks are responsible for the majority of the gains in the SP500.

Politically he needs Amazon to profit because he likes to brag about how well the stock market is doing. And he passed a tax cut that benefits them more than his voters.

So despite how much he talks them down because he doesn't like WAPO's coverage of him, he will get on his knees for bezos at the end of the day.