AMT Interview Help

TinPusher

Hello all. I'm trying to land (no pun intended) a position as an AMT with UPS. I have 5 years of heavy experience, non military, and an external (soon to be internal) candidate. I am applying to every location posted. I don't know anyone that works for UPS so I am asking for help here.
When/if i get an interview, what is the format? What questions do they ask? Anyone have any pre-interview prep suggestions? Much appreciated in advanced!!

CoolStoryBro

What does AMT mean?

My interview started with a tour to show us how bad the operation was. After the tour they said "please leave if you are not interested."

The interviewer focused on if I knew employees and knew how terrible the job was. Was I going to quit immediately or stick around.

TinPusher

Aircraft Maintenance Technician

With my 5 years of experience, over the required 3 years, it's understood that I know what the position is like.

I'm sure there a ton of PT high school kids that don't show up on day one, or people that want to get paid for doing nothing. Weeding out the rift raft would be understandable. Note that I'm not insuating anyone here is one of those people though.

Last edited:

TTLS1

do you have your A&P? that might sound like a dumb question but there are a lot of unlicensed mechanics. the interview will consist of a questions from managers/supervisors first, then you move on to a multiple choice test, then you move on to a practical test(not safety wiring or anything), more of knowing how to read WDM,AMM,IPC,MEL, and FIM. dress like youre going to the most important thing ever in your life(wear a suit) they are pretty big on first impressions.

TinPusher

Licensed A&P with about 7 years total in aviation...good question.
It is pretty important to me so check suit off the list too.
I'm pretty good at the manuals. Add CMM and a little SRM too.
Thanks for tips @TTLS1 !!!
I applied to an external posting at SDF
📞 :fingerscrossed:
I am also going through badging at my local hub right now so I can get internal postings.

TTLS1

Licensed A&P with about 7 years total in aviation...good question.
It is pretty important to me so check suit off the list too.
I'm pretty good at the manuals. Add CMM and a little SRM too.
Thanks for tips @TTLS1 !!!
I applied to an external posting at SDF
📞 :fingerscrossed:
I am also going through badging at my local hub right now so I can get internal postings.

wait youre going to work on the box side at worldport? man youre taking the long way in. In order to become a mechanic from the box side, youll have to transfer into a utility job(not 100% sure how it works) but what i do know is you have your license so you will go to the top of the list but its seniority based so you could be stuck for awhile. once you get to utility youll have to wait 90 more days to bid a mechanic spot.

TinPusher

Wait, what? I was a loader before and got offered a positioned as an A&P. I just didn't have the experience. Now i have to transfer to a different department first?

TinPusher

This has been the utmost difficult thing to do, getting hired at UPS as an A&P. Not even a single phone call or email yet..I need some 4-leaf clover fields filled with rabbits and horses please.