Potential new hire, strange interview process...advice appreciated

Hello Sirs/Ma'ams,

I assume the "potential new hire" questions become tedious so I do appreciate your time and advice. I will attempt to be concise.

Class A, HAZ, tanker, TWIC, doubles/triples.
39 years old, physically fit
clean driving record

Have been in West Texas oilfields for 7 years as driver, tech, and account manager....tired of the life and looking for something closer to home (lubbock, texas). Applied for the Package delivery position. "Interviewed" on phone which was not really an interview...more like a re-stating of the facts I had provided in application. Then very short discussion of simply pay and availability. No reference to whether its seasonal, benefits, etc. Young man was from United Kingdom and moderately difficult to understand.

Then I received "Package Delivery Driver Conditional Offer" that provided some more information and listed physical location and time for me to complete road test.

However, a day later, as always, my oilfield schedule changed and regrettably I rescheduled the road test in application portal. I shouldn't have I suppose but the UPS career portal made it seem like no big deal. As a matter of fact, the online portal lists the appointment (tomorrow as "phone interview" in one section and "road test" in another column. I have been preparing, studying the 5's and 10's in preparation for in person road test tomorrow....but just now i received an email reminder of tomorrows "phone call interview".????

Emailed them but no response yet.

Any opinion? Did I restart the process by rescheduling and the words "road test" in portal not mean actual road test?

I know its a good job and you have to work for it but wow, they don't make this very fluid do they?

Thanks
Jack

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Ask direct, straight forward, to the point questions when dealing with whomever our HR has contact you...

Position title...

Temp seasonal or FT...

Pay rate...

And anything else you can think of.

They are not going to turn you away so it's best to know what you are getting into.

They can and will flip your title, availability and position at will while you are qualifying.

If they tell you one thing...

Try and get it on paper so in the event they try and screw you later...

The union might be able to have a little more ammo.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Ask direct, straight forward, to the point questions when dealing with whomever our HR has contact you...

Position title...

Temp seasonal or FT...

Pay rate...

And anything else you can think of.

They are not going to turn you away so it's best to know what you are getting into.

They can and will flip your title, availability and position at will while you are qualifying.

If they tell you one thing...

Try and get it on paper so in the event they try and screw you later...

The union might be able to have a little more ammo.

Good luck and hope this helps.
You’re such a good little helper.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
You’re such a good little helper.
joey-tribbiani-friends.gif

Lol. Thanks. It’s funny, the email I received today says “report to this facility (Lubbock)” and refers to “they will be calling at this time” in the same paragraph.

Also says “we look forward to seeing you”

Poorly created boilerplate or masterfully played to keep their options open. Lol.

Tedious.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Lol. Thanks. It’s funny, the email I received today says “report to this facility (Lubbock)” and refers to “they will be calling at this time” in the same paragraph.

Poorly created boilerplate or masterfully played to keep their options open. Lol.

Tedious.
Be careful it isnt a seasonal postion

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
these oil guys or “ gassholes” as I like to call them never make it long at UPS. They sit in the truck enjoying the A/C on the fields and pretend they’re working..

YOU WILL NEVER BECOME A RPCD!😂

🧔✊

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Tedious.
Good to know it’s still SNAFU

I phrased it poorly.

Caller ID indicated call was from UK. He sounded like from middle eastern descent. English sounded like his second language learned and we simply did not communicate fluidly. Should have pressed for more answers but assumed it would progress into a more informative interview.

It’s been a while since I’ve sought out info in a forum. Forgot about the trolls. You guys are dorks. Oooh union tough guys! So cool! Lol. Get a life. Most persons with gumption work hard in one way or another in life…get over yourselves.

To the normal men and women here, thanks for responses. I wish us all well in life. Don’t desire to see others fail…it’s a sin.

Mutineer

The person OP spoke to is from the UK, and was not easy to understand?
He was speaking English, why is it difficult to understand what he says?
Because people from the UK speak a dialect known as 'Gibberish.'

I once worked with a person from England. After about two days working with him, I told him that "you English people really :censored2: up the English language!"

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I phrased it poorly.

Caller ID indicated call was from UK. He sounded like from middle eastern descent. English sounded like his second language learned and we simply did not communicate fluidly. Should have pressed for more answers but assumed it would progress into a more informative interview.

It’s been a while since I’ve sought out info in a forum. Forgot about the trolls. You guys are dorks. Oooh union tough guys! So cool! Lol. Get a life. Most persons with gumption work hard in one way or another in life…get over yourselves.

To the normal men and women here, thanks for responses. I wish us all well in life. Don’t desire to see others fail…it’s a sin.
1027D554-B1DE-4658-926F-857D005A2B72.jpeg

@frankie say friend off

quad decade guy

Hello Sirs/Ma'ams,

I assume the "potential new hire" questions become tedious so I do appreciate your time and advice. I will attempt to be concise.

Class A, HAZ, tanker, TWIC, doubles/triples.
39 years old, physically fit
clean driving record

Have been in West Texas oilfields for 7 years as driver, tech, and account manager....tired of the life and looking for something closer to home (lubbock, texas). Applied for the Package delivery position. "Interviewed" on phone which was not really an interview...more like a re-stating of the facts I had provided in application. Then very short discussion of simply pay and availability. No reference to whether its seasonal, benefits, etc. Young man was from United Kingdom and moderately difficult to understand.

Then I received "Package Delivery Driver Conditional Offer" that provided some more information and listed physical location and time for me to complete road test.

However, a day later, as always, my oilfield schedule changed and regrettably I rescheduled the road test in application portal. I shouldn't have I suppose but the UPS career portal made it seem like no big deal. As a matter of fact, the online portal lists the appointment (tomorrow as "phone interview" in one section and "road test" in another column. I have been preparing, studying the 5's and 10's in preparation for in person road test tomorrow....but just now i received an email reminder of tomorrows "phone call interview".????

Emailed them but no response yet.

Any opinion? Did I restart the process by rescheduling and the words "road test" in portal not mean actual road test?

I know its a good job and you have to work for it but wow, they don't make this very fluid do they?

Thanks
Jack
To the OP:

I'm not exactly sure of the Lubbock facility....if they even have feeders. Why is this important? You do not want to become a pkg driver at 39. You may be stuck there forever. There are no transfers....howerver, change of operations are possible. You are too well qualified to be wasted in pkg. You need to get a feeder job.

I'd move to Arlington or Haslet in the DFW area. Maybe El Paso. They've hired hundreds.

Places like Abilene, Midland/Odessa and such are very limited and have small feeder departments where the wait list is decades....and not mentioning the coming fall of the oil patch......again, I don't know of Lubbock exactly......you need to find this out.

Say.....do really want to be a pkg del. driver? Do you know what that means? At 39? How desperate are you? Now, if you aim to be in mgt.......Go right ahead.

Lastly.....just because you are well qualified as a feeder(CDL)....doesn't mean didly at UPS.......I'd try Fed-Ex first.

To the OP:

I'm not exactly sure of the Lubbock facility....if they even have feeders. Why is this important? You do not want to become a pkg driver at 39. You may be stuck there forever. There are no transfers....howerver, change of operations are possible. You are too well qualified to be wasted in pkg. You need to get a feeder job.

I'd move to Arlington or Haslet in the DFW area. Maybe El Paso. They've hired hundreds.

Places like Abilene, Midland/Odessa and such are very limited and have small feeder departments where the wait list is decades....and not mentioning the coming fall of the oil patch......again, I don't know of Lubbock exactly......you need to find this out.

Say.....do really want to be a pkg del. driver? Do you know what that means? At 39? How desperate are you? Now, if you aim to be in mgt.......Go right ahead.

Lastly.....just because you are well qualified as a feeder(CDL)....doesn't mean didly at UPS.......I'd try Fed-Ex first.
Good stuff. Thanks