An amazing statistic

Work right slow and safe

Ok... so this is where I start to think about benefits and pension... Uniforms and all of the ancillary stuff that goes with the job... then how much did you cost the company. People don't think about worker's comp insurance and the social security match...

I'm sure it's still relatively small in relation to the amount of money UPS has made off of you, but it would be interesting to see the analysis.

On another note: think about you preloader. Can you imagine if you had the same person loading not only yours, but at least two other routes... that's 1000 packages a day -- not counting splits they had to take off! I have worked preload for UPS for three years eight months and load a mix of resi and industrial parks. I handle at least 1000 pieces a day. So... 1000 pkgs x 240 days per year (approx -- I have 2 weeks off, plus 1 week option... and holidays...) = 240,000 pkgs per year. 240,000 x 3.75 years = 900,000 packages in just under 4 years...

Not think about the guys in the Primary who unload the trailers....

ugh...

when i was in primary we had to unload 1300 per hr or ***** was going to fly from the sup

InTheRed

don't forget to use the handrail!

an average saving of 100 pounds of force on your body for every time you step on/off. How many times have you stepped on/off your vehcile in those 21 years?

Multiply that by 200 (average step on/off per day), x 5 (days in a week), x 48 (weeks you worked in a year).

yeouch!

SoyFish

"The really scary number to think about....is the weight. I have an industrial park on my route that gets some serious pig iron. My old route was even worse. An average piece weight of, say, 15 pounds means I have handled something like 35 million pounds of freight during my career."

I thought about how many lbs I would load each night. Let's say the average package is 10 pounds and you load about 1000 packages into a trailer...isn't that about 5 tons each night? =)

(A ton = 2000 lbs and 10x1000 = 10000 right?)

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Insert song link "15 Tons" here. Before the downturn I was often a 400/400 route. Lately about 325 delivered and 275 picked up. 20 years in, no comp, 1 TAW day. I left at noon, couldn't stand being in the office.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Whoa!!! I just re-read Hoax's post and darn if he didn't just tell you how much you cost the company.

My intent was to show how much money Sober had made from his relationship with UPS.

In regards to how much UPS made from it's relationship with Sober, I would estimate it around $157,000.

From published information...(this disclaimer is for Corporate monitors)
10% profit on revenue on 2.5 million packages * ~$9 revenue per package * 7% profit from pickup/delivery of the total cycle = $157,000 (note: this has been converted to today's dollar).

The 7% profit of the PC Driver activities is an educated guess. I would think it was higher 21 years ago and most likely less now.

DS

Fenderbender
In regards to how much UPS made from it's relationship with Sober, I would estimate it around $157,000.

Ok you guys got me all confused :knockedout: If sober only made around $7,500 every year for ups and they paid him around $60,000 every year,(averages) how much revenue did ups make compared to paying for him?
If sober had become a bookeeper,he would be at mensa sychronizing,coordinating and datatizing the idiosynchrocies of how many million tons a human can lift before his body goes phhhhhhhhhhhhhhht...

satellitedriver

I need some Advil.
The true math is when I file my taxes.
It is a fun mental exercise, but, when I realize that I made $75,000.00 and full medical benefits last year.
All the weight and all the miles are lifted off my shoulders, when I drink 2 beers and take 2 Advil's.
Good to go and ready to launch, for tomorrow's 16 tons.
St Peter don't call me,
cause I can't go.

satellitedriver

My intent was to show how much money Sober had made from his relationship with UPS.

From published information...(this disclaimer is for Corporate monitors)
10% profit on revenue on 2.5 million packages * ~$9 revenue per package * 7% profit from pickup/delivery of the total cycle = $157,000 (note: this has been converted to today's dollar).

The 7% profit of the PC Driver activities is an educated guess. I would think it was higher 21 years ago and most likely less now.
Time for me to dump my stock.
How do we make money?:happy2:

The way I see it, it's sorta like the question, "What about the cost of eggs?". The answer is, " It aint worth the ware and tear on a hen's ass"

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
How many times in 20 yrs have you said this ..........
1 I Don't whats in it !!
2 I can't take a check !!
3 I don't know your cousin Earl who unloaded in Bangor Maine during the summer of 1989
4 Yes I'm at the right house & Yes I'm sure it's for you!
5 No we don't go back for more,this is 10 hrs of work right here!!
THIS LIST COULD GO ON FOREVER !!!

ih8tbrn

Banned
How many times in 20 yrs have you said this ..........
1 I Don't whats in it !!
2 I can't take a check !!
3 I don't know your cousin Earl who unloaded in Bangor Maine during the summer of 1989
4 Yes I'm at the right house & Yes I'm sure it's for you!
5 No we don't go back for more,this is 10 hrs of work right here!!
THIS LIST COULD GO ON FOREVER !!!

If you don't like it, you can always quit.:wink2:

Sammie

you forgot a couple of things. how many flights of stairs have you climbed? 3 steps in 3 steps out.. And how many miles have you walked?

By the time we're done we'll have taken two strolls around our planet... :anxious:

The circumference of the Earth is 25,000 miles at the equator

There are 5,280 feet to a mile, or 131,480,184 feet

Given an average pace of 2 1/2 feet per step, it would take 65,740,092 paces to circle the globe

5,000 steps a day for 75 years = 136,875,000 paces

Divide that by the number of paces it takes to go around Earth and you get 2.08

So, the average UPS driver will travel the world twice on foot during his or her lifetime....:dance:

satellitedriver

By the time we're done we'll have taken two strolls around our planet... :anxious:

The circumference of the Earth is 25,000 miles at the equator

There are 5,280 feet to a mile, or 131,480,184 feet

Given an average pace of 2 1/2 feet per step, it would take 65,740,092 paces to circle the globe

5,000 steps a day for 75 years = 136,875,000 paces

Divide that by the number of paces it takes to go around Earth and you get 2.08

So, the average UPS driver will travel the world twice on foot during his or her lifetime....:dance:
I love the math, but, the most important step any Upser can take is the first step into their home after a days work.