And the hits just keep coming

vantexan

Well he's much like a Courier... can't make any real decisions, and when the poop hits the fan, he gets all the blame..

It's not called the most powerful job in the world for nothing. He can introduce legislation, hire subordinates who'll implement his policies and fire them if they don't, order generals to do the same, sign bills into law and veto them if he doesn't like them. If he's hindered in getting what he wants it's due to several reasons. He overreached in his first term which got the House back for the Repubs, he either failed to control subordinates or they were doing his bidding that resulted in multiple scandals, and the further he goes into his 2nd term the more of a lame duck he'll be.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's not called the most powerful job in the world for nothing. He can introduce legislation, hire subordinates who'll implement his policies and fire them if they don't, order generals to do the same, sign bills into law and veto them if he doesn't like them. If he's hindered in getting what he wants it's due to several reasons. He overreached in his first term which got the House back for the Repubs, he either failed to control subordinates or they were doing his bidding that resulted in multiple scandals, and the further he goes into his 2nd term the more of a lame duck he'll be.

Are you actually Dick Morris?

MAKAVELI

Fred better reach into those deep pockets because this just isn't going away.
http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/feds-fedex-may-face-charges-on-illegal-drug-shipments-1.5637636

TUT

Perhaps but to me this seems much more real-world and reasonable:

FedEx, said in a statement. "This investigation . . . has now become absurd and deeply disturbing. We have no interest in violating the privacy of our customers by opening and inspecting their packages in an attempt to determine the legality of the contents. We stand ready and willing to support and assist law enforcement. We cannot, however, do their jobs for them."

There are tons of good poster comments there to. Since they aren't pissed off Fedex workers, you can see they are totally against this idea on several key points.

MAKAVELI

Perhaps but to me this seems much more real-world and reasonable:

FedEx, said in a statement. "This investigation . . . has now become absurd and deeply disturbing. We have no interest in violating the privacy of our customers by opening and inspecting their packages in an attempt to determine the legality of the contents. We stand ready and willing to support and assist law enforcement. We cannot, however, do their jobs for them."
Then tell me why FedEx has to approve wine shippers and gun shipments? Because those two industries are heavily regulated. They know the ramifications if they don't follow the law and the bad publicity would definitely hurt their image.It seems to me that they turned a blind eye to the fact that thousands of these online pharmaceuticals weren't operating legally and FedEx was profiting from these illegal shipments. Now that it has been exposed they want to claim they new nothing and zero responsibility. I'm sorry but that bs just doesn't make sense. This company has the philosophy that you aren't doing anything illegal if you don't get caught. And if you do, deny, deny, deny.

TUT

Then tell me why FedEx has to approve wine shippers and gun shipments? Because those two industries are heavily regulated. They know the ramifications if they don't follow the law and the bad publicity would definitely hurt their image.It seems to me that they turned a blind eye to the fact that thousands of these online pharmaceuticals weren't operating legally and FedEx was profiting from these illegal shipments. Now that it has been exposed they want to claim they new nothing and zero responsibility. I'm sorry but that bs just doesn't make sense. This company has the philosophy that you aren't doing anything illegal if you don't get caught. And if you do, deny, deny, deny.

Medication is regulated as well. I can also tell you some wine ships out as olive oil to get around state laws. I can tell you that the carriers in their agreements put the full onus on the shipper to be in compliant with the laws of shipping alcohol and they are the sole party responsible if they break the law and are fined. I can tell you there are 10's of thousands of medications, some that don't require a prescriptions, some not even FDA approved but still legal (see TV offers). How in the wide world of sports is a driver supposed to know that what the shipper says in the box is correct? That the recipient has a valid prescription? Even if a driver opened it, they'd have to be a pharmacists. And if for some reason one is stuck on this thinking this control can really work, then why aren't they up and down on USPS, they ship more illegals than UPS and Fedex combined. It's a witch hunt, and as some posters stated, UPS was basically blackmailed into paying 40 Million or whatever it was, that can't be right either.

Then on a whole other plane, this is right up NSA bugging everything, it's a police state action.

So if they can come up with a new method for medication, then so be it, expect to pay a lot more. But to go back and fine carriers over something they've been working hand and hand with the gov't on, it's maddening to be back stabbed like that.

I think the simplest fix is to go after and shut down/fine the companies if they are US based, duh. If Intl, then the US govt should give the carriers a list of Intl Pharmaceuticals that are illegal to pick up from and if they don't follow that FINE THEM. Don't those two make more sense, going to the source, not the middle man? There are two groups to blame and that is the seller and the buyer, totally not the carrier which has the pieces concealed in a shipping box.

And if you do all this, why just stop with medication? Why not move it into possible acts like espionage docs (how do we know that letter isn't carry top secret data on it?), weaponry, illegal drugs etc. You cannot take paper work at face value, you need to open every single box and check it against all the laws of the land. That metal pipe fitting, might actually be a grenade, how do you know unless you look? It is just an idiotic possibility.

MAKAVELI

Medication is regulated as well. I can also tell you some wine ships out as olive oil to get around state laws. I can tell you that the carriers in their agreements put the full onus on the shipper to be in compliant with the laws of shipping alcohol and they are the sole party responsible if they break the law and are fined. I can tell you there are 10's of thousands of medications, some that don't require a prescriptions, some not even FDA approved but still legal (see TV offers). How in the wide world of sports is a driver supposed to know that what the shipper says in the box is correct? That the recipient has a valid prescription? Even if a driver opened it, they'd have to be a pharmacists. And if for some reason one is stuck on this thinking this control can really work, then why aren't they up and down on USPS, they ship more illegals than UPS and Fedex combined. It's a witch hunt, and as some posters stated, UPS was basically blackmailed into paying 40 Million or whatever it was, that can't be right either.

Then on a whole other plane, this is right up NSA bugging everything, it's a police state action.

So if they can come up with a new method for medication, then so be it, expect to pay a lot more. But to go back and fine carriers over something they've been working hand and hand with the gov't on, it's maddening to be back stabbed like that.

I think the simplest fix is to go after and shut down/fine the companies if they are US based, duh. If Intl, then the US govt should give the carriers a list of Intl Pharmaceuticals that are illegal to pick up from and if they don't follow that FINE THEM. Don't those two make more sense, going to the source, not the middle man? There are two groups to blame and that is the seller and the buyer, totally not the carrier which has the pieces concealed in a shipping box.

And if you do all this, why just stop with medication? Why not move it into possible acts like espionage docs (how do we know that letter isn't carry top secret data on it?), weaponry, illegal drugs etc. You cannot take paper work at face value, you need to open every single box and check it against all the laws of the land. That metal pipe fitting, might actually be a grenade, how do you know unless you look? It is just an idiotic possibility.
When you put it this way, why don't we have a free for all and start transporting cocaine and meth for the cartel?. I mean we don't want to be a nanny state and the sole responsibility should be on the shipper.You're missing the point. This isn't for an isolated incident. These shipments were going on for years while FedEx looked the other way. If I'm doing business with someone and I suspect they are doing something illegal than it is my responsibility to do or say something .

TUT

When you put it this way, why don't we have a free for all and start transporting cocaine and meth for the cartel?. I mean we don't want to be a nanny state and the sole responsibility should be on the shipper.You're missing the point. This isn't for an isolated incident. These shipments were going on for years while FedEx looked the other way. If I'm doing business with someone and I suspect they are doing something illegal than it is my responsibility to do or say something .

Well it seems Fedex for certain is not agreeing that was going on for years and looking the other way. In fact they are saying they have been working with the gov't to do what they can and can isn't opening all boxes, that is illegal. "And I suspect" that is if one suspects, that isn't always apparent is it? One of a crooks traits is deception. The cocaine, meth and pot, these won't be companies but individuals shipping. Sniffing or the like is the only reasonable way, no? And not all boxes can be sniffed, can they? How do you stop a random drop off without going in to every box? Do you want to go into every box and look through people's ****? Because if you are against Fedex on this, you are pointing that way.

MAKAVELI

Well it seems Fedex for certain is not agreeing that was going on for years and looking the other way. In fact they are saying they have been working with the gov't to do what they can and can isn't opening all boxes, that is illegal. "And I suspect" that is if one suspects, that isn't always apparent is it? One of a crooks traits is deception. The cocaine, meth and pot, these won't be companies but individuals shipping. Sniffing or the like is the only reasonable way, no? And not all boxes can be sniffed, can they? How do you stop a random drop off without going in to every box? Do you want to go into every box and look through people's ****? Because if you are against Fedex on this, you are pointing that way.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that these fly by night operations , which most had a name of xyz online pharmacy out of some wherehouse were not operating legally. It was happening for years. I've del many of these shipments over the years and now that volume has suddenly dropped off. And for the record these cartels do operate as companies which I wouldn't doubt have their hands involved in this industry. These illegal online pharmacies are nothing but drug dealers and we were there runners. FedEx can try playing dumb but most of us who work here know differently and the DEA isn't buying it.

bbsam

Staff member
So if these online pharmacies were illegal, why didn't the government just shut them down years ago? They want to suggest UPS and FedEx knew how? If I have a prescription from my doctor and have it filled online, that is between my doctor and me. If I don't have the prescription, how is a delivery company supposed to know that? And if a driver asked me at the door to see the prescription,, whether I had it or not, I'd tell him or her to piss off.

MAKAVELI

So if these online pharmacies were illegal, why didn't the government just shut them down years ago? They want to suggest UPS and FedEx knew how? If I have a prescription from my doctor and have it filled online, that is between my doctor and me. If I don't have the prescription, how is a delivery company supposed to know that? And if a driver asked me at the door to see the prescription,, whether I had it or not, I'd tell him or her to piss off.
Like I said before, wine shippers have to be approved, gun shipments have to have a licensed dealer as shipper or consignee. There is no reason this can't be done for online pharmaceuticals. FedEx doesn't give a rats ass about the customer and keeping their shipments private. They only care about covering their own ass and profit.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Not too difficult to figure that the online pharmacies were skirting the law. As long as they pay their bills, FedEx could care less.

bbsam

Staff member
Big difference between requiring a signature, ID and showing a prescription. And fine if that becomes a requirement but you can't punish a company for what the did before that determination.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Big difference between requiring a signature, ID and showing a prescription. And fine if that becomes a requirement but you can't punish a company for what the did before that determination.

It wasn't difficult to see what those companies were doing was eventually going to be found illegal.

bbsam

Staff member
It wasn't difficult to see what those companies were doing was eventually going to be found illegal.

Not necessarily so. I could have had a perfectly legal prescription for the same drugs somebody down the street was getting illegally.

newgirl

Nearly 40 million customers in the United States have purchased medication from online pharmacies despite never having obtained a prescription, the National Association of Chain Drug Stores said.
The probe into FedEx involves shipments of prescription opioids -- including oxycodone and hydrocodone -- to customers who never met with a doctor, the two sources said. Some of those customers live in Nassau and Suffolk counties, as well as New York City, the sources said
A 2008 study by the DEA found 85 percent of online pharmacies do not require a prescription and 95 percent of all prescription drug sales made through the Internet are for controlled substances such as oxycodone.
A separate review of more than 10,000 online pharmacies by the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy found that just 3 percent comply with current pharmacy laws.

If they know all this already, why don't they shut them down? These online pharmacies are getting their oxy from somewhere. But the Feds don't want to mess with Big Pharma--so they are extorting everyone else in the chain of supply.

TUT

Like I said before, wine shippers have to be approved, gun shipments have to have a licensed dealer as shipper or consignee. There is no reason this can't be done for online pharmaceuticals. FedEx doesn't give a rats ass about the customer and keeping their shipments private. They only care about covering their own ass and profit.

Fedex doesn't create regulations, govt's do. So if there is something missing to the equation, the gov't should invoke next steps and have the carriers oblige, opening up every package not being a regulatory option imo.

Now one point that is worth mentioing is "Fedex picked them up for years and now all of a sudden stopped", you can look at is as "see Fedex knew, seen the kitchen getting hot and got out fast". It also could have been the gov't gave them a heads up stop picking up from X or stopped X from shipping. Unless you know for certain one way or the other, then you don't know. Both seem reasonably possible, now Fedex and the Gov't knows exactly why they stopped, if they did.

TUT

Not too difficult to figure that the online pharmacies were skirting the law. As long as they pay their bills, FedEx could care less.

As long as they pay the phone and electric companies.... those companies couldn't careless either. One could say that are part of the issue to, they supplied energy and communications to make it possible. It's just stupid, stupid stuff here. It's not hard for those companies to know XYZ Pharmaceuticals seems shady and they should have sent staff down there to verify their legitimacy.