Another CSP soliciting my drivers? AGAIN

serco

A contractor in my terminal has managed to obtain 1 of my drivers over the past year. Not a big loss for me but it still rubs me wrong. Recently that driver has quit him with no notice, same as he did me, serves him right. Now the contractor is soliciting another 1 of my drivers. Driver told me about it and says he said no thanks, I like where I'm at. Im sure this has happened at a larger scale than what I'm wining about. Just wanting to know, what others have done to prevent this from happening. And if terminal managers can do anything that could prevent this back stabbing weasle crap.

STFXG

Part of the game. The terminal can't do anything about it. The only way to prevent it is to either pay them better or provide them a lifestyle that's better (less hours or stops).

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
That's how I moved on... Highest bidder wins at this type of job. It's not a career, but those contractors who value their drivers & known to pay better will move on to that contractor.

I've seen it happen with other drivers that live too far from their service areas as well... I've mentioned this to a few contractors if you hire someone that lives too far from your service area, you'll either have to refer him/her to the corresponding CSP, or pay him/her more to retain that driver in your corp.

One contractor stopped buying markers for his drivers & passed that cost to the driver, WTF? That's part of your operation expenses & you can deduct it! So if he's that cheap to provide that, imagine what else he's cutting to keep his bottom line intact.

Last edited:

It will be fine

A contractor in my terminal has managed to obtain 1 of my drivers over the past year. Not a big loss for me but it still rubs me wrong. Recently that driver has quit him with no notice, same as he did me, serves him right. Now the contractor is soliciting another 1 of my drivers. Driver told me about it and says he said no thanks, I like where I'm at. Im sure this has happened at a larger scale than what I'm wining about. Just wanting to know, what others have done to prevent this from happening. And if terminal managers can do anything that could prevent this back stabbing weasle crap.
That last sentence drives me crazy. Terminal managers have nothing to do with your ability to retain drivers. Drivers are your employees, when they leave for a better job that's between you and the driver.
That said, we have a guy in our building that has never brought in his own driver from the outside. He always poaches guys when he loses one. He doesn't get much help from other contractors because of it. So when his guys call in sick or quit there'll be a handful of us that sit back with our extra drivers and laugh as he packs 4 routes in 3 trucks.
The thing is, he pays more than anyone else, he could bring in drivers from outside and save himself $50-60k/year. He'd have better relationships with the other contractors too, but it's his business.

It will be fine

With the proper language enforcement should be a no-brainer.
You'd still have to take them to court for damages. If a guy wants to leave because he's offered more money I'm not going to stop them. If they're upset enough to leave I probably don't want them behind the wheel of one of my trucks anyway.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You'd still have to take them to court for damages. If a guy wants to leave because he's offered more money I'm not going to stop them. If they're upset enough to leave I probably don't want them behind the wheel of one of my trucks anyway.

Even if the contract stated that you had the right to match their offer?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
A contractor in my terminal has managed to obtain 1 of my drivers over the past year. Not a big loss for me but it still rubs me wrong. Recently that driver has quit him with no notice, same as he did me, serves him right. Now the contractor is soliciting another 1 of my drivers. Driver told me about it and says he said no thanks, I like where I'm at. Im sure this has happened at a larger scale than what I'm wining about. Just wanting to know, what others have done to prevent this from happening. And if terminal managers can do anything that could prevent this back stabbing weasel crap.
Well that would make Fred awfully proud. :laughing:

bacha29

At the barn I was in the company would recruit temps , put them on staffing service payroll,train them and put them rental trucks to handle overflow. Simple enough but for one problem. The largest multi route contractor who there again payed crap money treated people about as badly as you could treat someone had turnover like you wouldn't believe. A steady steam of people walking out the door. Some didn't even bother to bring the truck back to the terminal.So what does the contractor do? He simply commondeers people from the temp list leaving the company with the expense of training more. To no one's surprise the company ended that practice. With the temps being fazed out completely in the near future, I too will watch and laugh because of his well known reputation he's going to have trouble.

instiches

Confront him about it. Even though you have no recourse, you should still make them aware you aren't cool with that. I don't poach drivers, and when one approaches me for a job, I make sure they give their contractor adequate notice.

It will be fine

2 weeks or 24 hours?
It's normally a bad sign when a driver approaches you looking for a job. Just means they'll leave as soon as something better comes along. It's really funny when you ask his current contractor about him and the contractor says, "What? Bob asked you for a job? Go ahead, he's all yours. You can have him tomorrow." Typically means stay away, the guy is a mess.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's normally a bad sign when a driver approaches you looking for a job. Just means they'll leave as soon as something better comes along. It's really funny when you ask his current contractor about him and the contractor says, "What? Bob asked you for a job? Go ahead, he's all yours. You can have him tomorrow." Typically means stay away, the guy is a mess.

That was going to be my next question. Can you go to the SM and ask to see their discipline file before offering them a job?