Another industry to be swallowed by technology

wkmac

The people monitoring must be sitting in a temperature controlled office. We've got the conveyor rubis trailers and they put our unloaders to shame.

If the union would pull its head from its ass it would be bargaining for education and training to monitor and service the equipment that's going to put people out of a job.

This isn't the Seimens Rubus system but the concept is very similar.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I didn't realize the bar was that low.

Tastes like cardboard, but it won't kill you ....© Subway
I think Subway makes a great sandwich...I usually pick a tasty bread type and they put the stuff on that I want....my way. Quiznos is a waste of $$.

BROWNCAT

This isn't the Seimens Rubus system but the concept is very similar.

Would pay to see this system working on one of UPS 52' footer brick loaded from floor to top with a lot of bulk overweight like they usually are, and the speed is not even near the 1200 pph that they "TRY" to get out of the unloaders... Send this Engineers back to the drawing board... Fail...

wkmac

Cool!
Does that mean we finally figured out an AI algorithm to load a trailer?
The best we got that I was aware of was about 85% utilization.

I won't say either way, especially in this forum but I will say because one didn't accomplish a goal doesn't mean one doesn't accomplish the goal.
;)

The problem in the past was that technology was expensive. Scale was another problem and so to was connectivity. Cost, scale and connection have dramatically changed to make the use of technology in our environment vastly simple. UPS stands right now as we speak on the edge of having no human hands touch a package except when it is loaded into the trailer, a feat thought all but impossible less than 30 years ago. I'm expecting in the next 10 years or so to hear of a UPS facility than has no human hands touch the package at all from unload to load. It's coming, get ready!

wkmac

Would pay to see this system working on one of UPS 52' footer brick loaded from floor to top with a lot of bulk overweight like they usually are... Send this Engineers back to the drawing board... Fail...

I've seen it! Unloaded in about 15 minutes. Brick loaded is even easier as this suggests the boxes are uniform.

BROWNCAT

I've seen it! Unloaded in about 15 minutes. Brick loaded is even easier as this suggests the boxes are uniform.

I remember a few years back when I was an unloader it usually took about one hour to unload a 52 footer 100% full by yourself... Maybe things have changed now... who knows... :confused2:

Last edited:

wkmac

I remember a few years back when I was an unloader it usually took about one hour to unload a 52 footer 100% full by yourself... Maybe things have changed now... who knows... :confused2:

The wild card in this discussion is the loading and unloading of the package car itself. This is a whole other can of worms. The unloading is all but the same it was 35 years ago when I first came to UPS and even the unload device is all but the same, at least in the concept. The device has some better engineering features, even includes an idea I came up with (no I got nothing for it and it was minor) but it's all still the same. Loading the car is still the same as well, we just use technology to de-skill the position.

Part of the problem of automating the load/unloading of the package car is the package car itself and how it is constructed along with the processes of delivery and pickup. To fully automate the loading and unloading of a package car seems to me at this time to be a whole other kettle of fish indeed.

But I've heard some intriguing ideas too! ;)

If you load and/or unload package cars, I wouldn't be to worried at the moment.

wkmac

Getting back to the OP and the video, this will change how things get done indeed. At present, most zoning laws favor the traditional stick and frame construction and when one ventures out beyond that type of construction to an alternative style, there are hurdles to overcome and in some cases those hurdles are insurmountable. But generally speaking at it relates to mass production of structures, this well could be the future. However, there will still be some demand for specialty built homes, even using stick and frame, so not convinced technology will totally replace old ways but I can see where it will be a real player especially with a very utilitarian minded buyer.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
What's the back up plan for when the power goes out ?
upload_2017-3-5_10-22-55.jpeg

A generator or two. Preferably this variety since I own some of their stock.