Any info on transferring from Express to Freight?

FedexCares

There's no transferring between opcos. You'll have to apply at Freight and and quit Express. They top out in 3 years so that is plus vs RTD.
Technically you are able to transfer between some opcos, but you are correct in that you can’t in most cases. I personally went from express to trade networks and was able to keep all my seniority at express, including vacation time.

I’m currently at 4 weeks of vacation at trade networks even though technically I have only been with them under 2 years. When I transferred I was told I could go from express to trade networks with my time at express intact, but if I wanted to go back to express I would have to start over which doesn’t make much sense.

Regardless, before going to another opco it doesn’t hurt to check with your manager or the hiring manager about transferring as it is possible in some cases.

vantexan

Technically you are able to transfer between some opcos, but you are correct in that you can’t in most cases. I personally went from express to trade networks and was able to keep all my seniority at express, including vacation time.

I’m currently at 4 weeks of vacation at trade networks even though technically I have only been with them under 2 years. When I transferred I was told I could go from express to trade networks with my time at express intact, but if I wanted to go back to express I would have to start over which doesn’t make much sense.

Regardless, before going to another opco it doesn’t hurt to check with your manager or the hiring manager about transferring as it is possible in some cases.
Knew a courier who went to Freight. Had to resign from Express first.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Show me something that does make sense at FedEx these days.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Also, at the risk of being made fun of- I do not know how to drive a stick. I've heard Express fleet is all automatic, is this the case at Freight?

There are mixes of trucks at Express and I assume Freight. Mostly automatics, but a few manuals. Actually it's to your advantage to not know how to drive a stick. I did know how to drive a stick and it messed me up when I was learning to drive a semi. You have to double clutch the transmission in a truck, but not in a car. I was so used to not double clutching in cars that it messed me up shifting the semi. Also, you just tap the clutch in a semi, but you put it all the way to the floor in a car-that also messed me up learning to drive a semi. Now when you get really good at shifting, you'll be able to float the gears in a semi. That's shifting without using the clutch at all and just relying on the rpms of the motor. Yes, you top out in 3 yrs at Freight, but you won't get 3 weeks vacation there until you're at 7 yrs vs 5yrs at Express. I did hear once that if you quit Express on say a Friday and then start your new job with Freight also on that same Friday, you will keep your seniority. I'd check with HR to make sure.

Aquaman

There are mixes of trucks at Express and I assume Freight. Mostly automatics, but a few manuals. Actually it's to your advantage to not know how to drive a stick. I did know how to drive a stick and it messed me up when I was learning to drive a semi. You have to double clutch the transmission in a truck, but not in a car. I was so used to not double clutching in cars that it messed me up shifting the semi. Also, you just tap the clutch in a semi, but you put it all the way to the floor in a car-that also messed me up learning to drive a semi. Now when you get really good at shifting, you'll be able to float the gears in a semi. That's shifting without using the clutch at all and just relying on the rpms of the motor. Yes, you top out in 3 yrs at Freight, but you won't get 3 weeks vacation there until you're at 7 yrs vs 5yrs at Express. I did hear once that if you quit Express on say a Friday and then start your new job with Freight also on that same Friday, you will keep your seniority. I'd check with HR to make sure.
This is true. A lot of people who’ve been driving a stick their whole life have habits that are tough to break when learning to shift a semi. Almost easier to start from scratch.