Any New Tech to Help New Drivers?

every.delivery

Don't want us to waste our time bashing each other! Thats why
The first and most important step toward employee retention is to give them something to look forward to. In turn they will take an interest in what they're doing strive for precision accuracy and responsible route governance. Sending them out there demanding that they do twice as much as a UPS driver in exchange for half the money and no benefits is a step in the wrong direction. If you don't give them what they have coming to them then rest assured you'll get what YOU have coming to you and even the world's finest mapping software will not protect you from it.
Thanks for the honest opinion.
I get, but don't agree with, why X puts the burden on the ISP. Not their prob, employee/ISP conflict and they like keeping their money. Where I operate now, very techy. Our building moved from a more "general labor" area up the road to an area that is dominated by the tech industry. Going over procedures on day one of a new hire, where you explain to them that their manifest is going to, in large, be conveyed via a physical map isn't working. Has anyone tried any 3rd party integrations?

bacha29

Don't want us to waste our time bashing each other! Thats why

Thanks for the honest opinion.
I get, but don't agree with, why X puts the burden on the ISP. Not their prob, employee/ISP conflict and they like keeping their money. Where I operate now, very techy. Our building moved from a more "general labor" area up the road to an area that is dominated by the tech industry. Going over procedures on day one of a new hire, where you explain to them that their manifest is going to, in large, be conveyed via a physical map isn't working. Has anyone tried any 3rd party integrations?
"Keeping their money" How long have you been at this?If it has been for any length of time you would know that their so called "independent contractor" business model never designed to create equity for contractors. It was simply a Dan Sullivan/Roadway creation designed to divest itself of as much risk liability and variable costs as they can get away with. In fact it was only under the threat of a DOJ lawsuit did RPS grudging grant goodwill and recognize goodwill in 1993.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Why does anyone in this forum own routes?

But seriously, anyone used/ trialed any 3rd party integrations
No offense but I’m curious why you would want to spend the money for technology for drivers who know they getting shortchanged are are here today and gone tomorrow?

bacha29

What the guys are trying to get through your head is that there simply is no effective substitute for direct human interaction, being well acquainted with the person you're looking for, when and where you can find them and what is the best time of day to catch up with them. Look you bought those damn routes believing that you had all the answers. It's not their fault if you found yourself trapped between the XG's impossible to meet demands and a woefully underpaid subordinate work force who couldn't care less about whether you succeed or not.

STFXG

Training on maps is your best solution. Set up your clusters tight (up to 50 clusters per route is the max) and teach them to go cluster by cluster and how to plot them efficiently. Make your own maps and laminate them. Give them a dry erase marker. Let them learn the area.

Dvr Alan

Technology is not always the best route (no pun intended). The easiest option you have is to hire someone from the area(s) that the route(s) is in. That will offset learning the area.

The best option other than that is to have a laminated map of your delivery areas and have someone from your company actually plot the stops. I did this with the new system for a "manager" who had to run a route. After I plotted the stops...in the order the new system had them listed...I looked at our boss and told him I would NEVER run the route that way!

What the others are trying to say is that area knowledge comes from experience. And experience comes from doing the job over time and most likely new drivers will not last over time, due to the reasons already mentioned.

The idea of operating a business...I once had and hooked up with Ex, over time I realized it wasn't MY business. Others believe otherwise and I wish them and you well...technology or not!

It will be fine

Are you running overlap yet?

The problem with software is the solution provided is static, generated at 8 am. A lot changes by 14:00. Drivers need to be able to adapt and reroute themselves on the fly to remain efficient. The best method is a laminated map and dry erase. I can always beat the computer for time and miles.

every.delivery

Are you running overlap yet?

The problem with software is the solution provided is static, generated at 8 am. A lot changes by 14:00. Drivers need to be able to adapt and reroute themselves on the fly to remain efficient. The best method is a laminated map and dry erase. I can always beat the computer for time and miles.
@It will be fine, THANK YOU for your post. That is true. Which computer are you beating? GPS vs mapping out etc?

every.delivery

@It will be fine, THANK YOU for your post. That is true. Which computer are you beating? GPS vs mapping out etc?
Yes. Sorry, we are running overlap! Great opportunity for me to dump unprofitable bulk/ biz routes! We went from 120 pickups/day to 17. We are more profitable w/ 5 routes than we were w/ 8. Much less stress. I only paid for 1 route 14 years ago so easy come easy go.

It will be fine

The VRP or the vision sequenced manifest is always beatable. I've played with route4me but never tried putting an entire route in it.

You need to teach your guys how doing it "old school" will help them in the long run. On a map you can see what stops are by your pickups that you can save for pickup time. You can mark a stop where the receiving location is vs. the street address that a computer will use, sometimes that can be a block or two away. You can know when a house is on a corner and you can hit it from a cross street. The computer always follows rules and a well trained driver doesn't have to.

I teach new hires to map it out. It can take a bit longer for some to learn that way but they end up being better drivers for it.