Any New Tech to Help New Drivers?

every.delivery

Technology is not always the best route (no pun intended). The easiest option you have is to hire someone from the area(s) that the route(s) is in. That will offset learning the area.

That is definitely true. Not always possible. And as you know, even though they live in an area, doesn’t mean they know anything other than how to get from AtoB surface streets.

The best option other than that is to have a laminated map of your delivery areas and have someone from your company actually plot the stops. I did this with the new system for a "manager" who had to run a route. After I plotted the stops...in the order the new system had them listed...I looked at our boss and told him I would NEVER run the route that way!

What the others are trying to say is that area knowledge comes from experience. And experience comes from doing the job over time and most likely new drivers will not last over time, due to the reasons already mentioned.

That, I guess, is my point. “Drivers won’t last...Due to the reasons already mentioned...”.
Just trying to NOT make onboarding feel like 1998.

The idea of operating a business...I once had and hooked up with Ex, over time I realized it wasn't MY business. Others believe otherwise and I wish them and you well...technology or not!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Your “serious question” was assuming that I have turnover issues or that I’m in over my head. That’s not a question.
Denial.

It was too a question. Sorry if it's one you wish to avoid.

So you expect to have zero turnover and career-minded drivers who'll be ever grateful of the (cough, cough) excellent wages and the workout they'll get 6 days a week without having to worry about a gym membership. Oh and who needs the hassle of health insurance and those bothersome vacations? Uh, dream on.

bacha29

Denial.

It was too a question. Sorry if it's one you wish to avoid.

So you expect to have zero turnover and career-minded drivers who'll be ever grateful of the (cough, cough) excellent wages and the workout they'll get 6 days a week without having to worry about a gym membership. Oh and who needs the hassle of health insurance and those bothersome vacations? Uh, dream on.
Contractors are people who are willing to bet what they believe to be equity on their cheap labor procurement skills.The trickle of money XG gives them is based on their estimated cost of labor within a contractors local labor market. Trouble is it's always at the rock bottom level and if they can't get anybody then out you go. The perceived equity contractors believe they own? What are they basing it own? Granted while they is some investor class speculation it is focused on the fast growing metropolitan areas with wealthy neighborhoods. And based on the route broker listings it would appear that even they now realize that X wants every damn cent of money the box generates for themselves.And if you've got one of these contracts out in one of the numerous depressed rural areas in this country.....you're stuck with it until they decide to get rid of you altogether.

Cactus

Contractors are people who are willing to bet what they believe to be equity on their cheap labor procurement skills.The trickle of money XG gives them is based on their estimated cost of labor within a contractors local labor market. Trouble is it's always at the rock bottom level and if they can't get anybody then out you go. The perceived equity contractors believe they own? What are they basing it own? Granted while they is some investor class speculation it is focused on the fast growing metropolitan areas with wealthy neighborhoods. And based on the route broker listings it would appear that even they now realize that X wants every damn cent of money the box generates for themselves.And if you've got one of these contracts out in one of the numerous depressed rural areas in this country.....you're stuck with it until they decide to get rid of you altogether.
Maybe it’s time for Fred and his good ‘ol boys clan to start putting on a uniform and deliver these boxes themselves.

FedGT

The “the hot button” issues on this thread. You have probably already gathered that Bacha will give you his opinion about how cheap, worthless, and corrupt all contractors are, and will turn every thing political regardless of the question. That said he does bring intelligent insight opposed to some. Bounty will say nothing of value and usually will end with “IT’S A SCAM!!!”. Most people on here are express and despise you and will come after you about benefits and everything else for who knows what reason since most small businesses under 10 employees don’t offer benefits, but they think you are trash. If anyone brings up technology, remember the 5 D’s and Dodge the wrench!! ITWBF, STFX,BBSAM are 3 good ones to listen too.
Technology is fine and for me it was well worth it on huge residential routes. I knew with 85% of the people that actually made it through FedEx system they wouldn’t last long enough for a formal training so it was much faster and in the long run cheaper to implement. If they seem like they would be around for a long time I would use that at first and slowly take it away. Tech is a crutch but if they know it will be taken away the driver will learn the route while using it.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
The “the hot button” issues on this thread. You have probably already gathered that Bacha will give you his opinion about how cheap, worthless, and corrupt all contractors are, and will turn every thing political regardless of the question. That said he does bring intelligent insight opposed to some. Bounty will say nothing of value and usually will end with “IT’S A SCAM!!!”. Most people on here are express and despise you and will come after you about benefits and everything else for who knows what reason since most small businesses under 10 employees don’t offer benefits, but they think you are trash. If anyone brings up technology, remember the 5 D’s and Dodge the wrench!! ITWBF, STFX,BBSAM are 3 good ones to listen too.
Technology is fine and for me it was well worth it on huge residential routes. I knew with 85% of the people that actually made it through FedEx system they wouldn’t last long enough for a formal training so it was much faster and in the long run cheaper to implement. If they seem like they would be around for a long time I would use that at first and slowly take it away. Tech is a crutch but if they know it will be taken away the driver will learn the route while using it.
Heeeeyy. I’ve never said anyone at Ground was trash. I don’t blame the contractors for buying routes. They saw a business opportunity and took advantage of it. The drivers are just trying to make a living. What I DON’T get is why drivers would stay unless it’s just a stepping stone to something else. And who I blame is FedEx for taking advantage and screwing so many people. FedEx, the company that brags about being “The People Company”.

It will be fine

Heeeeyy. I’ve never said anyone at Ground was trash. I don’t blame the contractors for buying routes. They saw a business opportunity and took advantage of it. The drivers are just trying to make a living. What I DON’T get is why drivers would stay unless it’s just a stepping stone to something else. And who I blame is FedEx for taking advantage and screwing so many people. FedEx, the company that brags about being “The People Company”.
The long term drivers I have that stay are ones who get benefits through their wives. They enjoy the freedom of the job. I don't need to micromanage so they know all they have to do is show up and complete the work I give them. It's decent money and low stress once they know their routes.

bacha29

Again all the mapping technology currently available and may be available in the future will do little or nothing to improve the production of an employee if he can't earn enough to independently feed his family or provide for their health and well being. More importantly while you guys have big expansion in mind it's based entirely on the expectation of a continued supply of low cost labor. XG controls how much you can pay your help by means of it's so called "negotiated" settlement formula. Again if you can't compete successfully in your labor market and procure the type of labor that meets XG's requirements you tell me .....what's going to happen to you?
I don't fault any of you regarding your efforts to try to build some equity. But, given the growing forces threatening the security of your equity over which you have absolutely no control then question going forward is ..... what equity?

You're just unhappy about the fact that I stripped off the waxy buildup and exposed the business model's REAL intent and how you guys are just being dragged along and in reality are nothing more than a means to an end. An ending that may not be as happy as you have yourself believing it will be.

bacha29

The long term drivers I have that stay are ones who get benefits through their wives. They enjoy the freedom of the job. I don't need to micromanage so they know all they have to do is show up and complete the work I give them. It's decent money and low stress once they know their routes.
But, if their wives do not have an employer who offers a benefit plan or one that doesn't extend benefits to spouses what are they to do? Furthermore what duty and obligation does that employer have to foot that costly bill for your guys given that they are out there making money for X not their spouses employer Especially if it's an employer that's a micro fraction the size of X who could easily pay it if it wasn't so damn greedy.

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
I have used Mapline with new and cover drivers.
Basically you import the XLS file from your inbound report, It plots all the stops.

I wrote some Microsoft excel macros to sort and filter out data that was not relevant but what I did find is it was impossible to print an entire route. Your best bet was to import only each section that way you have a printable page for each section of the truck.

If you have a laptop and a printer and an extension cord the data could be as accurate as the dispatch is underway.

Another problem I had was the formatting of addresses in the inbound report
Ex. 123 Main could plot at E Main or W Main
And there are dozens and dozens of errors like that in each inbound report.

It will be fine

I have used Mapline with new and cover drivers.
Basically you import the XLS file from your inbound report, It plots all the stops.

I wrote some Microsoft excel macros to sort and filter out data that was not relevant but what I did find is it was impossible to print an entire route. Your best bet was to import only each section that way you have a printable page for each section of the truck.

If you have a laptop and a printer and an extension cord the data could be as accurate as the dispatch is underway.

Another problem I had was the formatting of addresses in the inbound report
Ex. 123 Main could plot at E Main or W Main
And there are dozens and dozens of errors like that in each inbound report.
That sounds like more work than a laminated map and a dry erase, with the added bonus of being less accurate.

FedGT

Again all the mapping technology currently available and may be available in the future will do little or nothing to improve the production of an employee if he can't earn enough to independently feed his family or provide for their health and well being. More importantly while you guys have big expansion in mind it's based entirely on the expectation of a continued supply of low cost labor. XG controls how much you can pay your help by means of it's so called "negotiated" settlement formula. Again if you can't compete successfully in your labor market and procure the type of labor that meets XG's requirements you tell me .....what's going to happen to you?
I don't fault any of you regarding your efforts to try to build some equity. But, given the growing forces threatening the security of your equity over which you have absolutely no control then question going forward is ..... what equity?

You're just unhappy about the fact that I stripped off the waxy buildup and exposed the business model's REAL intent and how you guys are just being dragged along and in reality are nothing more than a means to an end. An ending that may not be as happy as you have yourself believing it will be.

What do I have to be unhappy about?? I was part of the model, did well, grew a lot, and sold when somethings happened that I didn’t like. Not unhappy just have some different opinions than you do. There are many reasons why people may stay at Ground and it usually results back to no degree, no computer skills, limited background. Fact of the matter is that it is harder to get employees but the pool will never run dry especially with this generation who wants to be handed a medal every time they try and don’t think they need to work hard to get ahead, show up, be on time, work to be paid, or get more money for barely doing part of the job.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
To actually learn it. A map

To run it one time blind. Gps

Yup. That first day in a new area with a map, driving in some circles, going up and down the same stretches of road multiple times is a pain.

That second day seems like a breeze because you spent the first day staring at the map and drove on certain roads so many times that you actually know the area a little bit.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Here's how I use the current HD VRP map.

walk in to my pile of boxes...the verification manifest & map over view printouts on top.

I quickly scan & single out the misplots & pull them from my pile immediately to give to the qa clerck to PiP it to the correct route (loathe using DEX 012 ~ sorted to wrong route when on road)

Then I'll isolate my focus customers and businesses with bankers hours to run them off first.

The rest gets loaded by neighborhood.

So I drove to stop # 650 first, then did the major highways so I'm not stuck during rush hour traffic #900 & #910

Sweep to the south # 570, #580, #560...

Then a small community off a major highway, # 240-270

Some stragglers that would suck when it gets dark, so knock em out early #550 & #590

After that, west side of my route, since they are heavily traveled once skool gets out # 600 to 1100...

Finally, I can run the plotted trace to end in the gated community # 10-540

From there, use the community bathroom to wash the dirt off my hands, empty my pea bottle and bladder to go straight home, usually with a clean plate, no send agains.

If ground's vision system & Garmin GPS integration is similar, then I may hang around a bit. I'm done before 2200 due to decent weather

Cactus

I don't believe that for a second.

And why should the benefits be the responsibility of the drivers wives? Because FXG is too greedy to offer them. They love passing on the cost of doing business by dumping on others. That's Ground's real specialty.

Last edited:

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
giphy.gif

Wut am I, chopped liver???

Yeah, I like the freedom of just rolling in to get the cargo and delivering em... with no texting or micro management thru out the day.

That's where you have a point with the bennies... the subcontractor has to find a pool of suckers, er... workers who doesn't mind having healthcare coverage from the spouses.

The other bennies, well it depends on how she/he likes to be bent over, I guess... at least supply some ky jelly

every.delivery

Thanks to the handful of legit responses!Not sure how a general industry tech question ended up so toxic? I feel, to keep the convo a little more focused and to hopefully stop any further derailing I need to justify why I have for 14 years Chosen to operate a CSA?:
1. If I was unhappy, I would sell.
2. My 5 drivers & 1 BC have 100% paid healthcare. (And it’s actually a damn good plan) We do not currently have dental but are looking into vision through a new Costco plan.
3. My drivers work between 35-40 hrs a week.
4. Year 1 drivers get 1 paid week, year 2 drivers get 2 weeks. 3 after 5.
5 (this is state mandated but)we do give 1 hour sick pay for every 40 hours worked.
6.if I was unprofitable, I would sell.
7. If I was “in over my head”, I would sell.
8. Drivers average between 18$-24$/ hour.
9. I am not an absentee owner. M-friend @ term @ 4:45 everyday, screaming @ loaders, mgmt and belt Mgrs, pretrips, small repairs and driver concerns, pickup lists etc.
10. If I was 1/10 as bitter about any venture as SOME of the logistics professionals in here, I sure as heck wouldn’t continue to relive my “nightmare” day in and day out on this site trying to convince everyone else that FXG is a bad investment for everyone, every time always.

Thanks again for those responses that were related to my original question. I even appreciate the fact that some showed me a picture of random maps and gladly welcome, along with genuine app/map success stories, pictures of idk, vis-a-vis markers!