Any New Tech to Help New Drivers?

dmac1

I sequenced my own way to avoid dirt roads as much as possible... flying 70 mph on blacktop is better than 30 mph or less on dirt roads.

Better to drive 15 miles on dirt roads than doubling back and driving 50 miles. I literally had a forest service road that went over a range of hills, through the forest that I discovered that saved an hour or more if delivering to homes out the paved roads. I had many areas with logging roads that criss-crossed the hills but were on no maps. Saw many bears, elk, cougars, coyotes, etc. along one 25 mile stretch of dirt roads. If stops lined up right (or wrong) knowing those roads were all that made it possible to finish and get home in time to get 7 hours of sleep before starting again. I learned rather qickly to cover the remote stuff while there was still some daylight, leaving the in town stuff if necessary until after dark, sometimes during peak until after midnight.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Oh ok, you just take the easy stuff leave the hard stuff behind and just let the next guy figure out what to do with it. Wish I had the opportunity to do the same. As a contractor I didn't have that luxury.

Nope, u can only access certain stops from the north or south, depending on the whole overview of the maps in the morning.

That's why we don't overlap or cross each other; we stay on our corresponding areas

That's why some of my stops take 30 + minutes each

Back to the OP, he's lucky that his areas are dense & has his crew working about 40 hours a week vs our rural areas that runs up to 70 hours all.year.long.

bacha29

Better to drive 15 miles on dirt roads than doubling back and driving 50 miles. I literally had a forest service road that went over a range of hills, through the forest that I discovered that saved an hour or more if delivering to homes out the paved roads. I had many areas with logging roads that criss-crossed the hills but were on no maps. Saw many bears, elk, cougars, coyotes, etc. along one 25 mile stretch of dirt roads. If stops lined up right (or wrong) knowing those roads were all that made it possible to finish and get home in time to get 7 hours of sleep before starting again. I learned rather qickly to cover the remote stuff while there was still some daylight, leaving the in town stuff if necessary until after dark, sometimes during peak until after midnight.
Right on . To the greatest possible extent you stayed out of those god forsaken places after dark and you never went out there after dark in the winter time .given the fact that many of those trails weren't even registered with the county.
I was once out on one of them in winter. Some intelligent soul had taken down the "No Winter Maintenance" Went down it slid off the ice down off I went. Couldn't even get out even with the hubs locked in. This happened in the 10 PM hour a couple of days after Christmas. Managed to get a hold of the state police in another county who called in 3 wreckers. Only 2 of the 3 could get back in to where I was. They chained themselves together then chained themselves to nearby trees . Only then did they send a line down to me.
Much of America is still open country and this is where people still choose to live .
I had this family owned business that repaired mine cars etc. in my area The owner once said to me, " People see you running around down here in the darkness including the outlaws. They now know that you could pop up at anytime and at any place and the state police don't like to come out this far a night. Why don't somebody just give you a radio and a gun and send you down here to start about 9PM. You would own the night and in the morning you could finish at your business stops". .......... You guys who are out there in open country may someday be called upon to do something like that.

OrioN

Thank goodness my rural route doesn't have that much detour around dirt roads. I'm guessing about less than 10 mile difference

I learned rather quickly to cover the remote stuff while there was still some daylight, leaving the in town stuff if necessary until after dark, sometimes during peak until after midnight.

Yeah, that's how I adopted my way of running the route & after a UPS driver in my area suggested to do the same.

My last section is a gated community with well numbered homes & mailboxes, & well lit streets so EMS can find them

MelodicBaggyAmericanshorthair-max-1mb.gif

So vision will be implemented in middle May for my terminal, I shall see how it goes

dvalleyjim

yes and you learn the route by memory! I know HD drivers that have been doing the same route for years and still have to have turn bys, and write sequence numbers on the boxes.

SmithBarney

You can't keep looking at maps all day. You need to learn the areas and have it in your head and seldom have a need to check a map. If you don't wean yourself away from always relying on maps you will never learn.

You learn by looking at actual maps, by having to look over them daily for a couple weeks, your eyes/brain will learn the area.. using GPS even with plotted points is not a good learning tool.

OrioN

Yeah, I already know my area. The AM map over view printouts has those roads with no street names on them... I can name those streets just from looking & spot some misplots on the maps.

The problem I'm gonna have are the misplots and missorts. I don't want to preload them to waste cargo space and to DEX 012 em. Will they still have the preliminary verification manifest? I can single them out by last name that way

For example 123 main street same zipcode, 3 different towns. Last name is the only way I can make sure it goes to the correct route.

The tech the OP wants is also for when drivers call out sick, cover drivers will not want to go to a route totally blind.

OrioN

One customer uses an alias, so I know it gets to the correct town:

IMG_20180415_081156.jpg

His garage is 3x bigger than his house, a dedicated gearhead/ gamer, LoL

OrioN

How about just looking at what town each pkg is going to. GEEZUS!
Nope Because the shippers get them wrong as well when they auto generate those labels... it s a constant struggle for my neck of the woods. I gave the qa clerk a whole list to look out for when those DEX 012 pops up and the customers calls in

Even they're aware of what the drunk postmaster did when assigning same zipcodes for the same towns/ townships

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Nope Because the shippers get them wrong as well when they auto generate those labels... it s a constant struggle for my neck of the woods. I gave the qa clerk a whole list to look out for when those DEX 012 pops up and the customers calls in

Even they're aware of what the drunk postmaster did when assigning same zipcodes for the same towns/ townships

We have neighboring towns here with the same zip and it can be a struggle for our PDS to sort them out.

OrioN

Ah thanks for confirming that... I thought it was just my state that had a crappy USPS zipcode assignments

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You learn by looking at actual maps, by having to look over them daily for a couple weeks, your eyes/brain will learn the area.. using GPS even with plotted points is not a good learning tool.

Bingo. Look at a map enough times, you learn where things are.

MAKAVELI

That's why you mark it a bad address on road. Pkg gets delayed and an extra charge slapped for correction. Happens enough times and the shipper usually eventually corrects the issue. Not that hard folks.

OrioN

Nope, not taking it for a ride. I give it to the qa clerk and he does it on the spot, reroute to the correct driver, and it's out for delivery with no delays... extra charges filed right thurr and no space wasted on my truck

MAKAVELI

Nope, not taking it for a ride. I give it to the qa clerk and he does it on the spot, reroute to the correct driver, and it's out for delivery with no delays... extra charges filed right thurr and no space wasted on my truck
We call it "training the customer" . The delay and charge usually gets both the shipper and recipient's attention. Sometimes thatst the only way they actually start printing the correct address on the label. I've done countless times and it works.

OrioN

Ugh, I followed your advice... it sucks that I had to take boxes for a ride this week and to climb around them in my bricked out boxtruck.

I felt pretty bad that I was preloading those misloads in the mornings too, just because I usually clean plate almost 4 outta the 5 days (DEX 011 ~ business closed on Saturday are unavoidable until you're at a co location)

Last edited:

MAKAVELI

Ugh, I followed your advice... it sucks that I had to take boxes for a ride this week and to climb around them in my bricked out boxtruck.

I felt pretty bad that I was preloading those misloads in the mornings too, just because I usually clean plate almost 4 outta the 5 days (DEX 011 ~ business closed on Saturday are unavoidable until you're at a co location)
It's not a misload if the address on the box is on your route. If a shipper can't get the correct town on the label, that's not your problem. And if those pkgs are not delayed, the recipient and shipper are likely to not care if it ever gets fixed continuing the problem.

OrioN

Address is not on my route; their VRP system thinks it is...

hopefully the ground's Vision system will fix it, butt I'm not holding my breath