Anybody on the 9,5 list in their building?

Omega man

We don't have penalty pay in our local.

We don't have penalty pay either. What's the point of 9.5 without penalty pay!!!! What I mean is where is the incentive for the company to stop working you so much if there is no penalty pay.

The 9.5 language is part of the Master Agreement. You both have penalty pay unless your Local nullified the language with its own. I can't imagine why any Local would do this.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The 9.5 language is part of the Master Agreement. You both have penalty pay unless your Local nullified the language with its own. I can't imagine why any Local would do this.

Penalty pay doesn't solve the problem. You file 9.5 to reduce hours, not to increase pay.

barnyard

KTM rider
Penalty pay doesn't solve the problem.

It does though. My understanding is that 1 of the measures used to establish year end bonus is the number of grievances filed and their outcome. If a center manager or supe loses lots of grievances, I suspect that would cut into their your end bonus.

Omega man

Penalty pay doesn't solve the problem. You file 9.5 to reduce hours, not to increase pay.

First you say that you don't get penalty pay and now you say that it doesn't solve the problem? Have you even filed a 9.5 grievance? When you force the company to pay penalties over a period of time, they will adjust your dispatch. UPS only cares about costs. You may get ridden and you may have to learn how to do the job by the book if you do not already. But, so what??
It sounds like you just won't fight for your contractual rights. UPS knows that most drivers will not, this is why you are treated as you are.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
First you say that you don't get penalty pay and now you say that it doesn't solve the problem? Have you even filed a 9.5 grievance? When you force the company to pay penalties over a period of time, they will adjust your dispatch. UPS only cares about costs. You may get ridden and you may have to learn how to do the job by the book if you do not already. But, so what??
It sounds like you just won't fight for your contractual rights. UPS knows that most drivers will not, this is why you are treated as you are.

I was speaking generally, not for myself. I seldom work over 9.5, including Peak.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Local riders supercede National Master language. Brownmonster and I are in the same local. We do not have penalty pay as my local sees fit to keep its right to strike over 9.5 violations. The threat of a work stoppage gets more attention than UPS shelling out more dollars. We do not have a problem in our local with keeping hours under 9.5 if you are on the list.

Ms.PacMan

Local riders supercede National Master language.
This.

I don't think anybody in Central States has an over 9.5 list because it's not in the supplement. There is still over 9.5 language but no penalty.

With the commutes to and from work being much longer on the coasts, the 9.5 lists were probably more beneficial to the members than any other over 9.5 language.

Omega man

Local riders supercede National Master language. Brownmonster and I are in the same local. We do not have penalty pay as my local sees fit to keep its right to strike over 9.5 violations. The threat of a work stoppage gets more attention than UPS shelling out more dollars. We do not have a problem in our local with keeping hours under 9.5 if you are on the list.

Local Language only supercedes the Master Language where it conflicts with it. Where it does not, you can file under the stronger Language.
Your Local Supplement has to have language that specifically exempts your members from getting the triple time penalty for you to not be entitled. This may be your case. My Local also has excessive overtime language but we still can file for the penalty under the Master Language.
We have serious excessive overtime problems in my Local.