Anyone Afraid Of Inflation?

Thebrownblob

Not everything.
Pretty close
1705001899016.png

bacha29

Everything you people discuss here pertains to food. The problem is that you're overly dependent on somebody else having to grow it for you .
Why not try growing some of it yourself? I plant a garden every year. Plant it, water it, weed it, harvest it, can and freeze it. Right now I have nearly 200 quarts of canned vegetables and 2 freezers full of the stuff I grew myself.
And to think that I'm not a doomsday prepper. Yes, it's ball busting work and there a lot more enjoyable things I could probably find to do but I enjoy at especially when I see the results of my work.

Everything you people discuss here pertains to food. The problem is that you're overly dependent on somebody else having to grow it for you .
Why not try growing some of it yourself? I plant a garden every year. Plant it, water it, weed it, harvest it, can and freeze it. Right now I have nearly 200 quarts of canned vegetables and 2 freezers full of the stuff I grew myself.
And to think that I'm not a doomsday prepper. Yes, it's ball busting work and there a lot more enjoyable things I could probably find to do but I enjoy at especially when I see the results of my work.
The deer and the groundhogs get more out of a garden than I do

It's cheaper for me to go to the store

Thebrownblob

Good advice. But remember the price of everything that you use to even grow your food has gone up as well so it all comes out in the wash. Definitely a good idea to learn to be somewhat self-sufficient, and certainly can save a little bit of money, but not enough to beat inflation. And I believe you’re retired, sometimes when you’re still working time is money.

anonymous23456

great, does it work for apartment dwellers?

bacha29

Good advice. But remember the price of everything that you use to even grow your food has gone up as well so it all comes out in the wash. Definitely a good idea to learn to be somewhat self-sufficient, and certainly can save a little bit of money, but not enough to beat inflation. And I believe you’re retired, sometimes when you’re still working time is money.
The issue is not food inflation. The issue is overdependency on somebody else. Well,, that somebody else isn't going to assume the risks of growing your food in an increasingly volatile weather, labor and market conditions unless he can get a return for taking those risks. I have friend who lives in Pennsylvania who told me the other day that last year 2023 , 57 million chickens were lost to Avian Influenza in Pennsylvania alone.
China lost nearly it's entire hog population to highly contagious swine fever and the disease nearly got into US swine populations but was stopped in the Dominican Republic.
Right now France has Avian Influenza and as a result it cannot export any poultry to the US and there are currently 5 Pennsylvania counties under quarantine due to the reemergence of Avian Influenza.
No matter who's in the White House there is nothing he can do when it comes to livestock and crop losses due to weather and disease.

Thebrownblob

Nobody says you HAVE to live in an apartment .
Perhaps, but the way they’re slapping them up around here it seems pretty evident that’s what either people want or can afford.

Even worse, they’re building giant ones that are five and 10 stories tall and locked up tight as Fort Knox, which are a complete nightmare for deliveries.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
1) 80 grain .243 hollow point and my freezer is full of deer meat . Sometimes I use a .490 50 Caliber lead ball

bacha29

1) 80 grain .243 hollow point and my freezer is full of deer meat . Sometimes I use a .490 50 Caliber lead ball
I use my German 88 millimeter field artillery gun I bought at a yard sale. Simply blow down the entire woods then sort through it looking for identifiable remains that might still be edible.
When hereditary Parkinson's disease came calling for my brother he gave his Remington 700BDL .270 LEFT HANDED bolt to his best friend who is also left handed who would not take it until he paid full value for it.
Remington quit making them because the cost of retooling the production line in order to make left handed bolt guns became too expensive.