anyone deliver in super rural or national forrest, desert, an island, the moon?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I was hunting in Montana a few years ago, and i had a chance to talk to the driver who delivered to that extremely remote area. He told me some interesting stuff;
  • He works 60 hrs a week, and brings stops back almost daily to avoid running out of hours
  • He has to factor fuel into his trace. He has a credit card to buy gas with but stations are few and far between.
  • He can save several hours a day by showing up at the school when it lets out. He parks by where the school buses are loading up, and gives packages to the kids. He knows the bus routes and sometimes he can indirect stops to the bus drivers.
  • Sometimes he swaps deliveries with the mailman. There is no point in both of them driving 30 miles up a dead end road for one stop.
  • For 5 months out of the year, they take away his P-32 and rent him a 4x4 Suburban with the seats removed and snow tires installed.
The best part of meeting him was he told me about a good spot to hunt and I wound up shooting a nice 4 point whitetail!

Big Babooba

I was hunting in Montana a few years ago, and i had a chance to talk to the driver who delivered to that extremely remote area. He told me some interesting stuff;
The best part of meeting him was he told me about a good spot to hunt and I wound up shooting a nice 4 point whitetail!

Shooting at whitetail is OK. Shooting at browntails can get you into a heap of trouble. UPS pays a lot for them.

Hedley_Lamarr

I've been working Oak Tree Road in Edison NJ. No famous people, more Indians than Custer saw at Little Big Horn though...Thank you, come again....

moreluck

golden ticket member
Hedley, remember this.....??

"Come on, boys! The way you're lollygaggin' around here with them picks and them shovels, you'd think it was a hundert an' twenty degree. Can't be more than a hundert an' fourteen."

I delivered to Chris Hansen once. The door was open, so I stuck the package inside the door. He came out suddenly and told me to have a seat, I got scared and ran away. :funny:

Hedley_Lamarr

Hedley, remember this.....??

"Come on, boys! The way you're lollygaggin' around here with them picks and them shovels, you'd think it was a hundert an' twenty degree. Can't be more than a hundert an' fourteen."
I'm payin you ta lay some track, not ta jump around like a bunch o' Kansas City *******....

Last edited by a moderator:

rstumpf

Contract Agent
I deliver here in Valdez, Alaska (yes the place where the oil spill was).
Average about 50 stops per day. Population is around 5000. My service area extends 55 miles down the highway, which isn't too bad.
Lot's of tourists and boaters here, so I have at least on a day that says "space 19, xyz RV park" or "G dock, slip 17, boat harbor".
Not to mention almost half my packages only have a post office box listed.
Also get to deliver out at the Trans-Alaska Pipeline Terminal daily.

brownrodster

I deliver here in Valdez, Alaska (yes the place where the oil spill was).
Average about 50 stops per day. Population is around 5000. My service area extends 55 miles down the highway, which isn't too bad.
Lot's of tourists and boaters here, so I have at least on a day that says "space 19, xyz RV park" or "G dock, slip 17, boat harbor".
Not to mention almost half my packages only have a post office box listed.
Also get to deliver out at the Trans-Alaska Pipeline Terminal daily.

Are you the only route in valdez ? Do you have a center there or do you drive to valdez from somewhere else to deliver.

How do the packages get to you ? plane ? barge ? Or is there actually roads from some larger city ? Sorry for the stupid questions I've never been to alaska and what I envision in my head might not reflect reality in any manner.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Are you the only route in valdez ? Do you have a center there or do you drive to valdez from somewhere else to deliver.

How do the packages get to you ? plane ? barge ? Or is there actually roads from some larger city ? Sorry for the stupid questions I've never been to alaska and what I envision in my head might not reflect reality in any manner.

Theres a guy on here from anchorage or fairbanks, not sure if hes posted on here in a while, but really interesting things he was telling.