Anyone ever get on full-time this way?

Dnking

FireFalcon
I'm a part-timer in my center since 2006. This is my second year doing seasonal driving in the summer, covering driver vacations.

Well recently two drivers have gone down. And when I say they've gone down, I mean one has torn something in his knee that requires surgery. And the other has a heart condition, which temporarily doesn't allow him to drive. So theres a good chance I will be driving after Labor Day.

My BA told me to keep track of the days I work, because if I work 30 days in a 90 day period, he says they have to create a full time position for me. I have heard this before, but I've never seen it happen. Have any of you seen this happen before? Where is it in the contract?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I'm a part-timer in my center since 2006. This is my second year doing seasonal driving in the summer, covering driver vacations.

Well recently two drivers have gone down. And when I say they've gone down, I mean one has torn something in his knee that requires surgery. And the other has a heart condition, which temporarily doesn't allow him to drive. So theres a good chance I will be driving after Labor Day.

My BA told me to keep track of the days I work, because if I work 30 days in a 90 day period, he says they have to create a full time position for me. I have heard this before, but I've never seen it happen. Have any of you seen this happen before? Where is it in the contract?
You have now discovered why they work cover drivers 28ish days and lay them off at least a day.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I have seen it happen, but it wasn't the grievant that got the job.
The new full time job was bid to the highest seniority part timer.
Should this guy be able to circumvent the seniority list on a so called company error?

Buck Fifty

I have seen it happen, but it wasn't the grievant that got the job.
The new full time job was bid to the highest seniority part timer.
Should this guy be able to circumvent the seniority list on a so called company error?

Don't spoil it for him. He almost has the job. You right though.

Mr Shifter

30 days out of 90 is when you are off probation. You can be sent back at anytime or for not meeting numbers, etc... its in your interest to get out of the probationary period and become a permanent/seasoned temporary cover driver until you gain enough seniority to win a bid on a FULL time job.

If you happen to work 200 days in a celendar year UPS is obligated to create a new full time position which will be nodded on by part timers.

menotyou

bella amicizia
If you happen to work 200 days in a celendar year UPS is obligated to create a new full time position which will be nodded on by part timers.
Is this true? Quite curious, as I am pretty sure there are casuals/pt covers working more than that at my center.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
30 days out of 90 is when you are off probation. You can be sent back at anytime or for not meeting numbers, etc... its in your interest to get out of the probationary period and become a permanent/seasoned temporary cover driver until you gain enough seniority to win a bid on a FULL time job.

Is this true? Quite curious, as I am pretty sure there are casuals/pt covers working more than that at my center.

It varies regionally and governed by many different supplements.
I think the part Mr Shifter is missing is that the OP is a 6 year part time employee working as a seasonal.
He most likely doesn't fall under the same rules as an off street hire.