Anyone ever went through or has known anyone that have have gotten alcohol withdrawals?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
That my friend is just your opinion. As much as I respect you, I have to say you’re wrong.
That's your opinion.

Too many studies will contradict you.
Studies can't address individuals' subjective experience, which is what is at play here. So, even if this were true, it's meaningless. Check out the video I posted on my "just following the science" thread about the replication crisis. It has hit the field of psychology the hardest. A lot of self-fulfilling prophecy and confirmation bias.

You’re lucky you’re not afflicted. It’s also been described as a body allergy.
Allergies make you want to avoid the thing that causes the reaction. Explain to me the physiological mechanisms behind alcoholism, then we can talk about whether it is a physical or psychological phenomenon.

It’s has nothing to do with victimhood mentality.
Disagree. Also a lot of avoidance.

I know some very successful alcoholics from good families. There’s no typical alcoholic.

These statements are evidence for my argument.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
That's your opinion.

Studies can't address individuals' subjective experience, which is what is at play here. So, even if this were true, it's meaningless. Check out the video I posted on my "just following the science" thread about the replication crisis. It has hit the field of psychology the hardest. A lot of self-fulfilling prophecy and confirmation bias.

Allergies make you want to avoid the thing that causes the reaction. Explain to me the physiological mechanisms behind alcoholism, then we can talk about whether it is a physical or psychological phenomenon.

Disagree. Also a lot of avoidance.

These statements are evidence for my argument.

I’m not a doctor. But you can read up on it. I will not argue the point. You’re not alone in your belief, but you’re still wrong.

Mutineer

Went to the ER due to it a few days ago, and the doc said to get clean again. I honestly wish I never relapsed.

Don't let anyone convince you alcoholism is a disease. That assertion enables a victim mentality. You have the power and control to stop this behavior.

Nobody likes a drunk. Get yer act together, and don't do this to your family and friends. It's a sad, pathetic way to die. I offer you my best wishes.

Is alcoholism/addiction physical or psychological?

Me to a person with cancer or any other physical disease:

"I'm leaving you on an island where there is no cancer. You will not die of cancer, and the cancer will slowly go away."

Sick person: "Idiot."

Me to an alcoholic:

"I'm leaving you on an island where there is no alcohol. You will not die of alcoholism, and the urge to drink will slowly go away."

Alcoholic: *

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Welcome to UPS.
Welcome indeed, lol.
I think the outdoors works wonders. Especially with you talking about blood pressure and anxiety. Lots of outdoors time, lots of sunshine. Going for walks at a local park would probably be a good idea, and could double duty as an easy way to slip in a workout.
This worked really well last night. Had a buddy on the phone in case anything happened, but it helped a ton.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
As for the detoxing part, most of the symptoms are due to severe dehydration. Sip on some water, pop some Advil, or aspirin, and maybe eat some fibrous veggies with high water content to help slow the alcohol absorption, and calm your stomach if it's bothering you. Certainly do your best to abstain for as long as you can to take some time to sort yourself out.

My criticism of AA is that it mostly keeps you weak, convincing you that you are controlled by alcohol and so the focus is on abstinence. I think a better approach is to figure out why you drink too much and too often, then take responsibility for that, and overcome it. A mentally healthy, robust person ought to be able to have a couple drinks from time to time without going overboard.
Yeah my diet was horrendous and I agree to a certain extent about AA. Idle hands are the devil’s plaything. Sometimes abstinence is best for certain people.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Don't let anyone convince you alcoholism is a disease. That assertion enables a victim mentality. You have the power and control to stop this behavior.

Nobody likes a drunk. Get yer act together, and don't do this to your family and friends. It's a sad, pathetic way to die. I offer you my best wishes.

Is alcoholism/addiction physical or psychological?

Me to a person with cancer or any other physical disease:

"I'm leaving you on an island where there is no cancer. You will not die of cancer, and the cancer will slowly go away."

Sick person: "Idiot."

Me to an alcoholic:

"I'm leaving you on an island where there is no alcohol. You will not die of alcoholism, and the urge to drink will slowly go away."

Alcoholic: *
I’m willing to accept the consequences for my actions. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The longest I’ve went without substance abuse was four years and that was without professional help. I believe it’s just about maintaining a busy, and fulfilling lifestyle. I’ve been meaning to start working out again, eating healthy, and getting back into old hobbies and perhaps this is the catalyst towards greener pastures.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Thanks everyone for your support, and advice. I appreciate every single one for taking the time out of there lives to knock some sense into my brain.