anyone have tips on avoiding misloads?

• Thread starter Anonymous Preloader
  • Start date
A

Anonymous Preloader

I'm a preloader in a small center (about 10k a day) that uses belt to car to load. I seem to not be able to shake misloads. The other day I had 5 in one day (have no idea how it happened) and am getting a warning letter for it. I load 3 trucks (1 super bulky p12, 1 average bulk/resi p10, and 1 light p7) in a period of 3 hrs on average.

I know the methods (let the belt do the work, build optium carries, work down the belt not up it, stack inside the car if you have to, mark the bay number on the pal label, write the bay number on the boxes face) but they don't seem to stop me from misloading. I can get it in the truck and I put up a good load everyday, but I still have misloads! I even check through my trucks and still have them. It sucks to try your hardest and fail.

I think I have most of my misloads at the end of the day when they crank up the unload and start flowing way faster. Also the sea of smalls coming down the belt when they send down tote after tote of smalls. I find myself barely able to get my stuff off the belt before it goes past me and end up stacking tons of stuf at the end.

Does anyone out there have any tips or advice on how to aviod misloading.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
How long having you been working preload?

Im a very high strung fast paced person , I have to tell myself to slow down and concentrate a little better with less speed!!

I remebered when I started preload, I NEVER thought I was going to be able to do this! But, in due time I finally got it (Well Kinda :)!)

The biggest thing is to not get discouraged...Keep your head up and just be smooth and efficient!

A

Anonymous Preloader

Thanks for the advice

I've been preloading for 2 years. 1 year prior to pas and 1 year on pas. I normaly do not get that many (2 a week on average). The supes respect me as a good loader and know I use the methods. For a long time the supes didn't do anything about misloads until recently. They have been giving out a lot of warnnig letters. I just had a really bad day yesterday, (I've never had 5 in 1 day before) and am pissed I didn't get a break. I stay after to help people get cleaned up all the time and even audit my trucks on breaks somtimes, but that doesn't matter to them. I would check my trucks at the end of the day but thats when the flow is the strongest and I can't leave the belt. When the flow is done then I normaly have to brick load bulk in my trucks (while supes are yelling for everybody to get off the clock) and have no time to check for misloads (we finish like 10 mins before the drivers get on the belt normaly).

Last year we had 4 hours to finsih, now they want us done in 3.5. We still have the same amount of work (some even more) but they expect the same amount of misloads. Discouraged is exactly how I'm feeling. It's not like anyody wants to have a misload, it just happens. It's a human mistake and anybody could do it. You're proably right to say "I have to tell myself to slow down and concentrate a little better with less speed!! "

So does anyone out there have any advice on how to aviod them

WhatPCM

Insubordinator
First thing is that you really need to slow down. Remember they are only boxes. You are obviously trying your hardest. Start off with just taking a few boxes at a time. Heck even just deal with one at a time. If you get behind start stacking. when you pick up the boxes from the belt check the label. When you place the box on the correct section of the truck double check the label to verify that its in the right truck before you leave to get more boxes. But remember slow down you can only work to the best of your ability.

Overpaid Union Thug

Thanks for the advice

I've been preloading for 2 years. 1 year prior to pas and 1 year on pas. I normaly do not get that many (2 a week on average). The supes respect me as a good loader and know I use the methods. For a long time the supes didn't do anything about misloads until recently. They have been giving out a lot of warnnig letters. I just had a really bad day yesterday, (I've never had 5 in 1 day before) and am pissed I didn't get a break. I stay after to help people get cleaned up all the time and even audit my trucks on breaks somtimes, but that doesn't matter to them. I would check my trucks at the end of the day but thats when the flow is the strongest and I can't leave the belt. When the flow is done then I normaly have to brick load bulk in my trucks (while supes are yelling for everybody to get off the clock) and have no time to check for misloads (we finish like 10 mins before the drivers get on the belt normaly).

Last year we had 4 hours to finsih, now they want us done in 3.5. We still have the same amount of work (some even more) but they expect the same amount of misloads. Discouraged is exactly how I'm feeling. It's not like anyody wants to have a misload, it just happens. It's a human mistake and anybody could do it. You're proably right to say "I have to tell myself to slow down and concentrate a little better with less speed!! "

So does anyone out there have any advice on how to aviod them

Don't let management make you feel rushed. Find a comfortable speed and stick with it. Match the labels up with the correct truck before you walk in. And please......don't load damaged or opened packages.

satellitedriver

I have never been a preloader. I can only give my perspective as a driver.
If you are on the PAS/EDD system, please read both labels.
There is a vast difference between (example) Hwy 79 N on the PAS and Hwy 79 S on the original label.
If you can catch the bad PAS labels you might pickup some Brownie points with your drivers and management.
Sounds like you are trying to do a good job.
UPS needs more like you.
Don't let the bastards get you down.

What did you do for me today is what management wants to know.
One of the first lessons I learned at UPS is anything good you have done in the past is history and matters not. Only the bad things you do are remembered.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The only "problem" with exceptional preloaders is that they are promoted to cover drivers. I will be losing my loader sometime next month as he will be learning the training route in preparation for becoming a cover driver. He is the best loader in the bldg and his replacement will have a very hard time filling his shoes. This kid has the ability to spot pkgs for consignees that have moved and forward them to the appropriate area, group pkgs of different addresses that are all going to the same location (college delivery) in the same space on the car, and holds pkgs out that either shouldn't be loaded due to condition of box or may/may not go on the area. He lets me know whenever he has to move a stop due to space limitations, he always check PAL against label, and even separates my WalMart load by putting pkgs for inside delivery (Subway, Vision, etc) separate from the rest. The kid definitely deserves and has earned the promotion and will do well but I am back to square one.

DorkHead

I was a loader for 3 yrs. and in the top 3 of our center over 20 yrs ago. We were taught always to read the label from bottom - up. Now with PAS, I believe it`s easier because you only need to read slot # and sequence#. My advice would be to concentrate and focus on your task. Reduce the amount of talking with other loaders while loading. This IS the main reason for misloads. Also, if there is loud music, turn it down. If others won`t let you, then wear foam earplugs that way you can still hear it, but it will be more like background music at a doctors office. Try to reduce the distractions around you and your focus will increase. Good luck

doctor brown 688

First off slow down,you can eventually be fired for misloads but not for being slow. Second,Are the misloads your fault? Do you have a floater helping you load or drivers wrapping up that could be misloading them? Are the Pal labels correct and on the right box but being put on the wrong car or are you being blamed for bad Pal labels as misloads? If you can get with your drivers and tell them your situation,they can help you verify and keep track if they are actually your fault,drivers have to call in the misloads and bad Pal labels to management before sheeting them missed.At our center they ask the drivers if the Pal matches the label or if it is a misload and are separated accordingly as misloads or bad Pals. Also just for your info there is lots of "coffee shop swaps" that go on, where management has drivers switch packages out on road,shouldn't be a problem if done correctly and Edd transferred from one to another but many times a section is moved with a wrong package or two mixed in. Not trying to give you any excuses,but sometimes things are not as they seem and someone has to be blamed if you get my drift. If you search all options and you figure out it is your fault,only you can fix it. Doc

WhatPCM

Insubordinator
So today at the PCM they told us that our misload were horrible this week(i havent had one since Oct). But anyway, they said from now on that if any loader has more than 5 misloads in a weeks time that disciplinary action will be taken. We looked into this and we could find any rule about a certian number of misloads allowed in a week. I also remember someone saying about a year ago that any change in rules like that have to be approved by the local. Can anyone verify that for me please?

W

westsideworma

So today at the PCM they told us that our misload were horrible this week(i havent had one since Oct). But anyway, they said from now on that if any loader has more than 5 misloads in a weeks time that disciplinary action will be taken. We looked into this and we could find any rule about a certian number of misloads allowed in a week. I also remember someone saying about a year ago that any change in rules like that have to be approved by the local. Can anyone verify that for me please?

there is nothing in the contract about misloads so don't bother looking. How its absence is interpreted is up in the air. By that I mean since it doesn't say they can't discipline you for such and such a thing, theres nothing stopping them from doing so. However on the other side, since theres nothing in the contract on it there's no reason to say that the union will recognize/allow such discipline.

The only way I think they could make it stick is failure to work as directed (which can be interpreted in a great many ways).

I'm not going to say what is and what isn't an acceptable figure for misloads. Obviously the goal is as few as possible, but everyone makes mistakes. The people who won't admit and/or come to terms with that simple fact are whats causing the discipline push lately. This too has become a big thing in our center lately.

If these people can successfully load 1000+ peices in 3.5 hours (285+ pph btw), PALS pulled, sequential order, no stacking for a week (not a day, anyone can make it look easy if they know its just for a day) and not have any misloads, then at least their demands will be credible. However you and I both know that will never happen. I have seen one such person try and fail miserably. Don't think ever loader didn't know about it by the end of the following day. Credibility is supposed to be one of our core values. Holding people to standards that people who come up with said standards cannot do hardly demonstrates that.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes lets help a fellow worker when they ask for help:happy2:
Im not on pas but the biggest mistake mine makes is look at the zip. He doesnt, and most every city has a main, maple, high, etc.
But he was in jail before I went on vaca, so zips may not be his biggest problem now:whiteflag:

A

Anonymous preloader

The only way I can avoid them is to check my turcks at the very end of the day. Managment should just start 10 mins early so loaders could use the 10 extra mins at the end to check or something like this. There has to be a way to solve the misload plague. Problem is most of the time we finish early I have to spend the last 10 mins of the day brick loading. I just wish I had the time to audit my cars.

If these people can successfully load 1000+ peices in 3.5 hours (285+ pph btw), PALS pulled, sequential order, no stacking for a week (not a day, anyone can make it look easy if they know its just for a day) and not have any misloads, then at least their demands will be credible. However you and I both know that will never happen. I have seen one such person try and fail miserably. Don't think ever loader didn't know about it by the end of the following day. Credibility is supposed to be one of our core values. Holding people to standards that people who come up with said standards cannot do hardly demonstrates that.

We are only human and humans make mistakes. They forget that sometimes. The problem is these numbers are coming from higher ups who haven't loaded in 20 years. Back when they loaded the heaviest package was probably 30 lbs and all the trucks were p7's that had nothing that needed to be brick loaded. I loaded 135 pound wine barrel today that was as big as me. That would have broke a fat suit and ties back. I know they couldn't do it themselves. I would love to see one of them get on the belt and load 200-300 pph with no stacking ever, never loading a 45 pounder on a self, using 8 keys of lifting and lowering, 5 keys of slips and falls, every package loaded in perfect sequance and no misloads. No way.

What makes me laugh is when we reach our target (6 a day) and then the next day we have 20. It is so FREAKIN' EASY!!! I'm still am amazed that I had 5 in one day. I have never had that many in one dya. I'm reallying wondering if they were salts.

Cementups

Box Monkey
OK, if you want to talk misloads I'll give you a doozy. and I'm sure the guy won't get a word said to him. I had 11, yes 11, walked in wrong cars today. Not only was I heavy but then I had to run out of my way to the next area to meet the guy that they belonged to to give them to him. What a waste.

My method involves a double check of each pkg. I sort and load according to the PAL label. Thats one check. Also we are supposed to match both labels' last 4 digits of tracking #'s for bad-PAL check. I don't do this because its too time consuming and difficult to see. Instead, I quickly match the street name on address label with street name on PAL label just before loading. If you become familiar with the streets in each truck you load, this acts as a bad-PAL check and a wrong-car check at the same time. Its much easier to read a word than check long #'s. It also works for businesses/ bulk stops if you instead check both labels' consignee names match. I know there are same street names on adjacent cars sometimes which can be confusing but it really is surprisingly easy to get to know what streets a route gets after a while. It works for me and its still easier than loading completely by address like we used to. Hope that makes sense.