Anyone here born from the 1990s?

From a Land Brown Under

I find myself missing the 90's all the time. Especially in the past year or two. Last year I was off work for two months so I had plenty of time to sit and ponder. It was scary how deep I delve into the past. I've always had a great memory but I started recalling little details and putting things together. I began surrounding myself with period-correct items I still have from back then and hunting down others on eBay, watching old home videos, and listening to 90's alternative almost exclusively. I began seriously considering all the implications of time travel. It started to feel like I was back there again, almost like Somewhere In Time (look up the plot of that movie and you'll understand what I mean.) SXM Lithium has a bumper they play between songs sometimes where the jockey states something along the lines of "Sometimes life has a tendency to get in the way, make you forget who you are and where you came from. Lithium is here to help remind you." with a mix of song samplings playing in the background, and it hits like a truck every time I hear it. Almost makes me cry.

There's something calming about that 90's alt sound. I'm still a huge new ROCK buff obviously but I listen to 90's stuff a lot. At work we get a lot of helpers who are considerably younger than me and it starts to make me feel old when I hear what year they were born while they sit there watching Tik Tok on their phone. Here I am playing Lithium and Turbo (90's and 2000's hard rock) in the truck and I realize "oh my God. I must be coming off to them as those old guys who only played oldies or classic rock did to me."

On the other side of the coin, I find I don't give the 2000's enough credit. They were every bit if not more of a staple in my growing up as the 90's but for some reason I don't seem to relish them the same way. Maybe they were too "modern" by comparison, maybe my naivety blinders weren't as thick, or maybe they just had that post-9/11 taint. I don't know. Maybe it's the fact that they're kinda caught in the middle between two big eras: now* and the 90's that makes it harder for them to shine through to me, like a neglected middle child. But when I consider how many things that are almost a cornerstone in my current life were derived from the 2000's and how much fun I actually had back then, I appreciate them more. *(For the record, I pretty much consider anything between 2012 and the present as "now", with 2010/11 as kind of a bastard transition. Though 2012-2019 are quickly becoming a whole other personal era on their own.)

But yeah. The future's :censored2:ed and there's probably not going to be anything for us to retire into. Hang onto your butts.
This was beautifully written. I almost wish I had a better response than what I am giving here. I completely understand what you mean surrounding yourself in the period correct stuff. The TV I use is a Sony Trinitron and still buy CD's and cassette tapes to play on my stereo system. I still buy DVDs and have a buttload of VHS tapes and VCR's. I feel what you mean about the 2000's as well, it really felt like a turning point in life once 9/11 happened and I feel our future was robbed from there on out. I find myself also piecing together small details of my past and it is almost eerie what seems to pop up in your head so vividly. It almost hurts to think about because you grasp how well it was back then and think of all the things differently you could have done to enjoy it more. In regards to the younger people joining the hub, I totally get how you feel when it comes to music and internet culture. The moment I felt old was when I did a Chad Warden bit when I was talking to a co-worker about the Playstation and he had no idea what that was.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
This was beautifully written. I almost wish I had a better response than what I am giving here. I completely understand what you mean surrounding yourself in the period correct stuff. The TV I use is a Sony Trinitron and still buy CD's and cassette tapes to play on my stereo system. I still buy DVDs and have a buttload of VHS tapes and VCR's. I feel what you mean about the 2000's as well, it really felt like a turning point in life once 9/11 happened and I feel our future was robbed from there on out. I find myself also piecing together small details of my past and it is almost eerie what seems to pop up in your head so vividly. It almost hurts to think about because you grasp how well it was back then and think of all the things differently you could have done to enjoy it more. In regards to the younger people joining the hub, I totally get how you feel when it comes to music and internet culture. The moment I felt old was when I did a Chad Warden bit when I was talking to a co-worker about the Playstation and he had no idea what that was.
You got dolls too?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What millennials will never understand...

"Going out Mom"

"OK, be back before supper".

That's it. Out you went. Where, why, and all other details were not important. Zero communication after you left the premises.

We went wrong somewhere? Maybe a combination of latch-key kids and instant communication amplification of all the evils in the world?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

"Going out Mom"

That's it. Out you went. Where, why, and all other details were not important. Zero communication after you left the premises.

We went wrong somewhere? Maybe a combination of latch-key kids and instant communication amplification of all the evils in the world?
Overprotective boomer parents.

floridays

You young cats got it pretty rough, it's no wonder you don't know whether to sit or stand when you piss.

just messin

hope you have some of these
:thumbup1:

DriverNerd

I find myself missing the 90's all the time. Especially in the past year or two. Last year I was off work for two months so I had plenty of time to sit and ponder. It was scary how deep I delve into the past. I've always had a great memory but I started recalling little details and putting things together. I began surrounding myself with period-correct items I still have from back then and hunting down others on eBay, watching old home videos, and listening to 90's alternative almost exclusively. I began seriously considering all the implications of time travel. It started to feel like I was back there again, almost like Somewhere In Time (look up the plot of that movie and you'll understand what I mean.) SXM Lithium has a bumper they play between songs sometimes where the jockey states something along the lines of "Sometimes life has a tendency to get in the way, make you forget who you are and where you came from. Lithium is here to help remind you." with a mix of song samplings playing in the background, and it hits like a truck every time I hear it. Almost makes me cry.

There's something calming about that 90's alt sound. I'm still a huge new ROCK buff obviously but I listen to 90's stuff a lot. At work we get a lot of helpers who are considerably younger than me and it starts to make me feel old when I hear what year they were born while they sit there watching Tik Tok on their phone. Here I am playing Lithium and Turbo (90's and 2000's hard rock) in the truck and I realize "oh my God. I must be coming off to them as those old guys who only played oldies or classic rock did to me."

On the other side of the coin, I find I don't give the 2000's enough credit. They were every bit if not more of a staple in my growing up as the 90's but for some reason I don't seem to relish them the same way. Maybe they were too "modern" by comparison, maybe my naivety blinders weren't as thick, or maybe they just had that post-9/11 taint. I don't know. Maybe it's the fact that they're kinda caught in the middle between two big eras: now* and the 90's that makes it harder for them to shine through to me, like a neglected middle child. But when I consider how many things that are almost a cornerstone in my current life were derived from the 2000's and how much fun I actually had back then, I appreciate them more. *(For the record, I pretty much consider anything between 2012 and the present as "now", with 2010/11 as kind of a bastard transition. Though 2012-2019 are quickly becoming a whole other personal era on their own.)

But yeah. The future's :censored2:ed and there's probably not going to be anything for us to retire into. Hang onto your butts.
I miss very few things about the 90's. Crappy TV (limited selections vs streaming now), crappy cars, crappy electronics, CD's, slooooooow internet, weather people were only right 20% of the time (instead of the 40% they are now), and of course, no smart phones. But I have to say the music was so, so, so much better than the drivel they make now. I could listen to any random playlist of hits from the 90's from any genre and enjoy most of the songs. If you did that now, I would have to turn it off because of all the garbage songs. It's a rare thing now when the local pop station plays something I actually like.

DriverNerd

"Going out Mom"

2002 is my guess...Most years before that had maybe one national attention grabbing kidnapping case, but 2002 alone had eight. I think that as parents kept hearing the stories one after another they just changed their attitude about letting their kids roam free. I'm sure that the advent of smart phones and fast internet meant it was easier to hear about these things too versus only reading it in the newspaper or watching it on the 10 o'clock news. I was a free range child too and it was an awesome childhood.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
2002 is my guess...Most years before that had maybe one national attention grabbing kidnapping case, but 2002 alone had eight. I think that as parents kept hearing the stories one after another they just changed their attitude about letting their kids roam free. I'm sure that the advent of smart phones and fast internet meant it was easier to hear about these things too versus only reading it in the newspaper or watching it on the 10 o'clock news. I was a free range child too and it was an awesome childhood.
Might be before that. The 24 hour news outlets brought to you never ending reports of negative news stories from all over. Previously, these things would be local news.

This was such a good CD. Not one bad song on the whole thing. I listened to it so many times.
I was up finishing papers and studying for finals at like 2AM in high school when MTV aired "You Oughta Know" for the first time. Not my favorite artist or album, but I loved that song and video, just one of those moments you remember from that time.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I was up finishing papers and studying for finals at like 2AM in high school when MTV aired "You Oughta Know" for the first time. Not my favorite artist or album, but I loved that song and video, just one of those moments you remember from that time.
That story reminds me of the first song I remember hearing on the school bus. I didn't know anything about it other than that it went "millions of peaches. Peaches for me." and I thought it was funny. (Granted, in retrospect the 90's were a time for funny lyrics in general.) It wasn't until my senior year that I overheard a conversation about the long lost song and finally discovered who the artist was and the song title. A thirteen year loose end was finally closed.