Anyone know how a driver's estimated work day plan is formulated? (over/under "plan")

JL 0513

I've been very curious about this since I started driving. There's tons of variables during the course of a drivers day that affect time. Any insiders here that understand how management looks at our production numbers and determines whether we are over or under the plan for the day?

Major elements inlude:

- Stops count
- Miles driven
- Piece count
- p/u stop count and piece count

I can't imagine the considerations stop there since other factors greatly affect time.

Such as:

- the weight of packages, as well as the size
- how difficult a drivers geographical layout is
- how long walk times vary (some driveways go forever)
- traffic considerations

The most commonly compared stat that drivers talk about is stop count. But that tells a small story. I wonder why that seems like the only things guys mention. Some days I have 290 pieces and 150 stops. Another day there's 230 pieces and 160 stops. I'll take the 160 stop day any day.

I have to imagine there's a big computerized algorithm that formulates how much time each of our day's is supposed to be. I'd love to know all the factors involved in such a formula.

Thanks to anyone with insight. :happy-very:

Indecisi0n

Re: Anyone know how a driver's estimated work day plan is formulated? (over/under "pl

Management puts their head up their ass and the first number that comes to mind is your daily number.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Re: Anyone know how a driver's estimated work day plan is formulated? (over/under "pl

If you start thinking about there numbers you lose. It's a big game. You allready lost. Go out every day. Do the job the same every day. Whether they say your an hour under or 3 hours over. Continue to do job at a fair pace and dontbstealntime or skip breaks and you will be fine. Avoid all the planned day, over under bs

jumpman23

Oh Yeah

Don't know and don't freakin care. You go out and you do the job by the book as best as possible and do the best you can. Itll be what itll be. If they say anything about your numbers you tell them I did my best to to obtain my objective of being injury and accident free. Ill try to do better today and that's it. All the numbers are make believe.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Simple, a mix of alchemy and witches' brew.

P

pickup

Spinning dartboard and a blindfolded man's throw of a dart determines it , my friend.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

Don't know and don't freakin care. You go out and you do the job by the book as best as possible and do the best you can. Itll be what itll be. If they say anything about your numbers you tell them I did my best to to obtain my objective of being injury and accident free. Ill try to do better today and that's it. All the numbers are make believe.
I like when I can actually read and understand your posts the first time lol

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

I'm to busy delivering packages, being safe, and servicing pickups to think about stuff that isn't my problem.

Simple, a mix of alchemy and witches' brew.

Look cosmo.............Maybe thats how they did it before you retired! Now they get a retarded person (I E)..let smoke some crack, take a hit of acid, and play pin the tail on the donkey!....its called Logistics.....lmao

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

Who cares?!?!?!?

I have had days when I drove the same number of miles and had the same number of stops, but the allowance was different. Their plan, not mine.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

Look cosmo.............Maybe thats how they did it before you retired! Now they get a retarded person (I E)..let smoke some crack, take a hit of acid, and play pin the tail on the donkey!....its called Logistics.....lmao
Close...but it's pin the di*k on the center manager...lol

JL 0513

I know what you guys are saying. Who really cares....

Essentially, I don't worry about the numbers game myself. I just go out there and do an honest days work. I do my best without killing myself.

But there's still that curiosity about how their formulas work. Why is it such a mystery?

I'm just wondering if they include most variables, or just a handful of major elements. I guess no one knows?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

I know what you guys are saying. Who really cares....

Essentially, I don't worry about the numbers game myself. I just go out there and do an honest days work. I do my best without killing myself.

But there's still that curiosity about how their formulas work. Why is it such a mystery?

I'm just wondering if they include most variables, or just a handful of major elements. I guess no one knows?
it's a mystery because if it were an actual formula based on logic...a) ups wouldn't use it and b) they couldn't set you up for failure on a daily basis.

Cementups

Box Monkey

I have had days when I drove the same number of miles and had the same number of stops, but the allowance was different. Their plan, not mine.

Exactly. I check it on the daily for entertainment reasons and to scoff a little. The whole thing is ridiculous.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah

When the supe sais something about your over allowed look at your stops per hour if its 14 to 18 your doing a good job and let him see it too lol.

JL 0513

Is there a place where we can check what our plan is? I was never shown. I would think they'd want you to know?

I've been asked on just two occasions, "Hey, what happened yesterday?" referring to days I was an hour over. On those 2 particular days unusual circumstances occurred that were out of my control. Then you gotta sit there and explain yourself. Total BS.

Interestingly enough, you're never told when you're well under plan. Big surprise there. "Hey, nice job yesterday" are words never spoken in a UPS center ever.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

I just look at the previous daily report so that I can decide if I need to slow down a little. If they want to load me up, I make sure I get paid for it.

I do have a decent time allowance on my route, I have only been over two or three times this year. I take every minute of lunch too.