Anyone know how a driver's estimated work day plan is formulated? (over/under "plan")

MethodsMan

Re: Anyone know how a driver's estimated work day plan is formulated? (over/under "pl

I've heard each time we have to back that it deducts .-03 from our daily scorecard? Is this true?

Buck Fifty

Re: Anyone know how a driver's estimated work day plan is formulated? (over/under "pl

I just look at the previous daily report so that I can decide if I need to slow down a little. If they want to load me up, I make sure I get paid for it.

I do have a decent time allowance on my route, I have only been over two or three times this year. I take every minute of lunch too.

I hate to say I look at the WOR daily. First to make sure I was paid accurately and last to make sure I never look good on paper. It seems to keep me in check.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

They monitor our performance?

When did this start?

Buck Fifty

That's hilarious, you kill me !!!

No wait that's Jarts.
images

​never mind.......

BrownArmy

The numbers are arbitrary and defined by the click of a mouse.

One day you're a HERO, the next day you're a ZERO.

When they ask me, 'What happened?',

I say, 'I was going to ask you the same thing...'

No rhyme, no reason, not really all that important.

JL 0513

So I guess no one knows. Perhaps asking if anyone knows the "formula" for our daily allowance is unreasonable. I wouldn't expect anyone to know the mathematics involved.

I'm just curious about what basic elements are weighed. Anyone able to give a serious answer?

For example, is the weight of the packages considered at all? If not, how can an allowance be determined fairly if one load happens to have many 50+ lb industrial packages while another guy's load consists of mostly 5-10 lb packages which are much quicker to unload and carry?

Another example? Some geographical areas are set up in a nice squared grid pattern making stops very efficient. Other areas are curvy maze like layouts forcing you to go up and down the same roads 2-3 times essentially driving in circles.

Maybe there isn't some complex formula? Maybe routes are all established and given an allowance based on slight volume differences day to day?

Sorry if I seem to be thinking to deep into this. I'm a curious dude.

BrownArmy

Sorry if I seem to be thinking to deep into this. I'm a curious dude.

There isn't a serious answer for you, unfortunately.

Yes, there are metrics based on a particular route, sort of...

No way in heck there's any metric based on the size/weight of the packages that are loaded on your truck, aside from assigning a package as an 'over-70' as you deliver it, and that buys you a few seconds, nowhere near the reality of what you had to do to deliver that PB piece of ***

You're asking the wrong question.

To answer your original question, yes, there is a complex calculus to determine the 'numbers' for a driver's day.

But to really answer your question, all the variables that factor into that calculus are, in and of themselves, completely variable.

We're not screwing with you, the reality is that the numbers don't actually mean that much, unless you factor them over a significant amount of time.

You will never find any sort of satisfaction looking at the numbers, because the final numbers are based on a quicksand set of shifting and arbitrary numerical sets, any one of which can be 'altered' with a click of a mouse in order to align more closely with another imaginary data set.

You think this is hyperbole, or that we don't want to give you the answer, or that we don't know the answer you want.

The fact is that there isn't anything to know.

We don't know, the people gaming the numbers don't know, and the people reading the numbers don't know either.

You must think that I'm playing with you, but in fact, it's the simple truth:

All of the variables you speak of are not set in stone, they are 'editable' at will, for a purpose or purposes that have absolutely nothing to do with what your 'planned' day looks like or is supposed to look like.

You must think we're jaded, or that we don't want to give you the answer you're looking for, or that we're stupid and we don't know the answer to your question.

THERE IS NO ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION.

Last edited:

terrymac

this man will not make a good ie guy

Dracula

No way in heck there's any metric based on the size/weight of the packages that are loaded on your truck, aside from assigning a package as an 'over-70' as you deliver it, and that buys you a few seconds, nowhere near the reality of what you had to do to deliver that PB piece of ***

To answer your original question, yes, there is a complex calculus to determine the 'numbers' for a driver's day.

But to really answer your question, all the variables that factor into that calculus are, in and of themselves, completely variable.

We're not screwing with you, the reality is that the numbers don't actually mean that much, unless you factor them over a significant amount of time.

You will never find any sort of satisfaction looking at the numbers, because the final numbers are based on a quicksand set of shifting and arbitrary numerical sets, any one of which can be 'altered' with a click of a mouse in order to align more closely with another imaginary data set.

You think this is hyperbole, or that we don't want to give you the answer, or that we don't know the answer you want.

We don't know, the people gaming the numbers don't know, and the people reading the numbers don't know either.

All of the variables you speak of are not set in stone, they are 'editable' at will, for a purpose or purposes that have absolutely nothing to do with what your 'planned' day looks like or is supposed to look like.

You must think we're jaded, or that we don't want to give you the answer you're looking for, or that we're stupid and we don't know the answer to your question.

There is an answer to the question, he's just asking the wrong one. Did his check clear? That is the question he should ask, and everything else should be foot-shuffling and stupid looks. That is the key to happiness in this company.

JL 0513

Thanks for a least a serious answer. That's all I'm looking for. It does clarify some things.

These are things a rookie driver kinda thinks about. I'm just trying to gain a deeper knowledge in how the company works, and what is expected of us, that's all.

When I was trained, a lot of things were never told to me. I had to find out a lot myself.

I still don't know where to find your daily time allowance. So I have no idea what mine is for my route.

Dracula

When I was trained, a lot of things were never told to me. I had to find out a lot myself. That, in a nutshell, is what you need to understand about your employment at UPS.

I still don't know where to find your daily time allowance. So I have no idea what mine is for my route. Unless you are adept at crawling into dark, smelly holes, you don't want to know what yours is.

BrownChoice

Reading this is amusing. I am a rookie driver too. I admit i do worry if i look good on paper or not , which i think is normal. Maybe not after you get the big picture.. But in reality numbers is all that matters, to management. Its not your job, your job is to deliver packages, my friend, while doing so safely. If you worry about numbers, youll never be satisfied and youll end up stressing yourself out. I was told this by a couple of senior drivers, all with 30 or more years experience. They say that making it to retirement and keeping the wife happy is all that matters to them lol!!

JL 0513

To re-clarify, I don't "worry about the numbers". I don't think about that when I'm doing my job. I know it's all BS.

I know that the time that it takes to do the job is the time it takes. As long as you are using the methods, working at a reasonable rate, and not stealing time, then it falls into place.

The question was to get an idea of how different elements of the job are weighed in figuring time estimates. Just pure curiosity in how my job works. Nothing wrong in knowing. I'd rather not be in the dark completely about how the company operates.

I have pride in myself so I like to know that I get credit for being a productive person rather that being known to management as a lazy bum. It's one reason why I show up to work everyday instead of being one of those guys that constantly call out. Unfortunately, all they judge you by is the numbers. I would like to think that a lot of things are fairly factored into them.

I would like to think that one of the reasons this forum exists is to share knowledge about the job that they just don't teach us.

BrownChoice

JL,

unfortunately for this company, communication is non existent in most centers. Wont matter if you ask a supe, 99% of the time even if your doing great, theyll say you need to pick it up.... Dont count on getting a pat on the back. I dont know how exactly you can find out how good your doing other than finding out how you average out on statistics for your center. Even then, its only a statistic. Then theres always telematics, job just has to many variables. If you have great area knowledge, you will be fine.

JL 0513

JL,

unfortunately for this company, communication is non existent in most centers. Wont matter if you ask a supe, 99% of the time even if your doing great, theyll say you need to pick it up.... Dont count on getting a pat on the back. I dont know how exactly you can find out how good your doing other than finding out how you average out on statistics for your center. Even then, its only a statistic. Then theres always telematics, job just has to many variables. If you have great area knowledge, you will be fine.

This is what I quickly found out. When I first started, obviously the biggest challenge is having no idea where you are (I was placed in a center 50 miles from my home so had absolutely zero area knowledge). Weeks go by and you start getting all the streets down. After that, you learn highs and lows (address #'s). Months go by and you begin to remember exactly where a majority of specific addresses are. That's when it really all falls into place and you become really efficient and don't have to put much mental thought into your job anymore. It just comes naturally. It makes you feel so much better. I remember those first few days alone after training, running around like a chicken with its head cut off, LOL.

Gadfly

UPS generally keeps its time study information a secret from its employees. UPS doesn't want you to know that its almost always impossible to meet their expected production.

MDupsernj

In driving school out teacher was an ex driver ex center manager and was cool as hell. He told is the allowances are an average. Of what I don't know. But it was along the lines of like 18 seconds for sig required, I think 6 seconds for dr, 16 seconds per package for selection, 5 for stop car, 14 for start car and an average for mileage which varies per area. Don't hold me to that, that is just what I remember from driving school.