Anyone out there drawing a monthly stipend from their Teamster/UPS 401K?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
What is the advantage of moving the money to an IRA vs leaving leaving it in the 401k?
I am considering moving from 401k to IRA in order to take advantage of other investment vehicles.
But then, I've been mulling it over for a year.

If you have an outside investment agency (like @UpstateNYUPSer does) it can get you lower management fees.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If I take the full amount she gets half. I can choose a 75% or 100% option and that would reduce my pension.
My wife gets full amount if I die before her ... it was a little over $1,000 less per month.
But Pension is about 1/4 of my monthly income so it didn't really matter that much to me.
Management pension ... she gets 50% unless she signs a waiver and the monthly amount is still reduced at 50%.

Ms.PacMan

There are no RMD's on the Roth 401k or. Roth IRA because the money has already been taxed. You will have RMDs on regular IRA's and a regular 401k.

Pros:The fees in the 401k are lower than Vanguard (and were lowered again earlier this year) and the index funds are excellent.

A 401k is safe from lawsuits (and maybe bankruptcy) but an IRA is not.

Can withdraw without penalty if you quit at 55.

Cons:Only index funds (which isn't a con for me but others seem to think it is).

There are no RMD's on the Roth 401k or. Roth IRA because the money has already been taxed. You will have RMDs on regular IRA's and a regular 401k.

Pros:The fees in the 401k are lower than Vanguard (and were lowered again earlier this year) and the index funds are excellent.

A 401k is safe from lawsuits (and maybe bankruptcy) but an IRA is not.

Can withdraw without penalty if you quit at 55.

Cons:Only index funds (which isn't a con for me but others seem to think it is).
How a Roth 401(k) is Different than a Roth IRA | Ed Slott and Company, LLC

oldupsman

That's a pretty good deal, in ours if you take the full amount your spouse gets nothing if you die.
Same here.
If I take the full amount she gets half. I can choose a 75% or 100% option and that would reduce my pension.
I'm trying to understand what you're saying. Example. Lets just say your full pension is $3000 a month. Are you saying that you can collect
$3000 a month now and if you pass she gets $1500? But if you choose the 100% option you would only collect $1500 a month now and if you pass
she could continue to collect $1500 herself.

Same here.

I'm trying to understand what you're saying. Example. Lets just say your full pension is $3000 a month. Are you saying that you can collect
$3000 a month now and if you pass she gets $1500? But if you choose the 100% option you would only collect $1500 a month now and if you pass
You have different pension options when you retire. If you want to protect a percentage for you spouse it will cost you some of your pension money they you receive. Basically it's like an insurance policy.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Same here.

Allow me to explain using the $3000 example. If I take the 3k a month she will automatically receive 50% of that if I die. If I chose the 75% option my pension would be reduced by 4% to $2880 and she would get 75% of that if I die. If I choose the 100% option my pension is reduced by 7% to $2790 and if I die she would continue to get that amount. There is also a pop up feature on the last 2 options. If she should die first my pension would pop back up to the original $3000.