Anyone REGRET going to feeders?

MaceFremonti

Feeder bid sheet up. After 22 years in delivery my body needs a break but I'm on the fence about making the jump. Any former package car drivers out there who regret going into feeders?

There are only two types who will regret it. One who absolutely can not live with the hours until they get better bids and the one who is not comfortable with the equipment no matter how much they try.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Make sure you know the process of disqualifying yourself & what your options are to return. Here, if you don't go back during your training you are signing on for 3 years before you can return without losing your Package seniority. Less than a dozen have opted to return in the last decade or so.

Ms.PacMan

There was a little discussion about the feeder seniority list not too long ago at our center.

If you're already feeder qualified before signing a feeder bid, do you dovetail into their seniority list?

tae111

I agree. If you can take the hours and can deal with the equipment (not bad anymore since everything has power steering). You will find that Feeders is a whole new ball game. The hours are tough in the beginning for some but I know a few who ended up liking them. Much warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. Not sure how it is going to change with the new Ivis and computer set up but in the past all you had to do was come to work and do your runs without any shinanigans and you would never hear anything negative from your sups or managers. 85% of the stress of working for UPS is gone. It is also much kinder to the body. Unless you can find time for the gym you will be out of shape in a few years though. I say go for it.

DS

Fenderbender
About 15 years ago,we had a pkg driver go to feeders.
He was given some old cab over and refused to drive it because of diesel exhaust in the cab.
They fired him.He was reinstated with full back pay a year later.
He's all good now.

gottogo

Hours can be tough to adjust. Usually night. Here, after 30 days of feeder driving,you are a official feeder driver meaning we have to pick vacations in feeder and cannot disqualify ourself from feeder.( there are a couple exceptions though) .Bottom guys here ( 25 years package driver) were in last year part of November and all of December. The rest of the year was package.Why the union went from agreeing from changing the feeder seniority list from when you put your name to company seniority,I wish I new. Good luck .

overallowed

Been in feeders since last May. Have had to go back to package and run my route 7 times since then. Love it in feeders. Granted, it's not for everybody, but I have always been a bit of a night owl. 6 weeks from now I will have a permanent position. Just gonna keep on keepin' on. Great move for me.

For those worried about your spouse, if you have problems, going to feeder will not be the thing to save your marriage or destroy it. Your problems will still be your problems. I like to think a truly good spouse will recognize the benefit to you and support you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There was a little discussion about the feeder seniority list not too long ago at our center.

If you're already feeder qualified before signing a feeder bid, do you dovetail into their seniority list?

That is the way it works here. Our mall driver has bid in to feeders, which will force a current feeder driver to bump back in to package, and will get one of the more sought-after routes.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
No regrets going into feeders,, got to see the kids a bit more and all is well with the wife, she is happier now with my attitude ! You can get a lot more done around the house so wknds are free, Like Cach said it shouldn't be a make or break deal with the wife if she's a good woman !! Piece of advice, get into the same sleep pattern every day, and don't eat just before bed!! stay active, we are running out of FEEDAH pants !! good luck !

raceanoncr

Not in the least! Well, except on some rare weather occasions. Like last night. Snowed 5 inches here. Well, outside...while I was sleeping...in my own bed...

Spent 30 of 32 yrs in feeders. Woulda been 32 cept couldn't due to being off the street package hire and due process...etc.