Anyone REGRET going to feeders?

brett636

Its been a little over 2 years since I went into feeders and I still don't regret it. Its so much better in feeders its like I quit and went to work for a different company, and going to work no longer seems like a chore that I dread everyday. If you feel confident you can get used to the hours and the equipment I say go for it and don't look back!

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Been in feeders for 12 years. Did coverage for 5 of those years, then full time. The only way I will go back to package is if they carry me kicking and screaming.... plus there will be two ruts in the concrete where my heels were dragging.
Best damned move I ever made.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
The real question is why can't we take what makes us so happy to be in Feeders and apply that to Package?
Reasonable workload & expectations.
Mutual respect from Management (and the Driver is treated as the Professionals they are).
Near absence of harassment.
Respect for balance of family, personal health, and work.
Actual respect for safety & Govt regulations.
Complete lack of daily PCM babysitting sessions.
No 9.5 issues ever.
Much more respect for the Contract & the grievance process.

QKRSTKR

I trained and was feeder qualified a little over a year ago. I just got into feeders permanently. I'll be able to bid when annual bid comes in May, until then I am on bottom of on call board. When bid comes my seniority will dovetail in. I will be working nights for sure buts that's ok. On call does suck. I woke up 8am Monday, called in at 9 Monday night and punched out at 8 tues morn. That was a long day. I can also bump back to packages until may if feeders can't guarantee me 40 hrs.

I like the equipment and it doesn't bother me. Just have to be real careful and not short yourself on turns. No real bad weather for me yet. Rained sideways last night and was windy, but I just went slow. Work load is just not even in the same ballpark. Most who have gone to feeders from pkgs. say it's like working for a different company. I agree with that.

Being on call and not knowing where you are going can suck. I know so far though I have no regrets and can't wait for may when I'll get my own run.

brett636

The real question is why can't we take what makes us so happy to be in Feeders and apply that to Package?
Mutual respect from Management (and the Driver is treated as the Professionals they are).
No 9.5 issues ever.

I'm just hoping someone up in the ivory tower of corporate isn't reading this thread and thinking to themselves "They actually like their job?!?! We better fix that!"

purplesky

No 9.5 issues ever.

You are describing the old feeders. They are now in the process of making feeders JUST LIKE PACKAGE CAR. IE has taken over feeders:wink2: and the harassment is starting.

From what I understand feeders use to feel like a different company. From what I hear at my large hub feeders is starting to kind of suck.

Alot of package guys are not going to feeders now because of the new IE stuff going on.

Pickles

They recently said here that if you stop for a bathroom break you have to go on meal. No safety checks unless your run is over 250 miles one way. Anyone else getting this?

pretender

Feeder bid sheet up. After 22 years in delivery my body needs a break but I'm on the fence about making the jump. Any former package car drivers out there who regret going into feeders?

You have gotten a lot of good reasons and advice to go into feeders. So, if you do, don't be afraid to ask questions-no matter how stupid you may think they are. We have all been there...

Secondly, get to know some or all of the tractor and trailer mechanics, and ask them any question you are too embarassed to pose to a fellow driver. Almost all of the ones I ever knew were more than happy to explain how something works. When you are visiting the shop, take note of what each mechanic likes to drink. Then when you need to have something done to your tractor, buy them a coffee or a coke. Above all else, try not to be demanding or a pain in the arse. There is always one driver who they dread seeing pull up...

over9five

Staff member
You are describing the old feeders. They are now in the process of making feeders JUST LIKE PACKAGE CAR. IE has taken over feeders:wink2: and the harassment is starting.

From what I understand feeders use to feel like a different company. From what I hear at my large hub feeders is starting to kind of suck.

Alot of package guys are not going to feeders now because of the new IE stuff going on.
^^^Truth^^^^

They recently said here that if you stop for a bathroom break you have to go on meal. No safety checks unless your run is over 250 miles one way. Anyone else getting this?

It was tried, under the last div mgr, but lasted a very short time. The nail in the coffin was a driver that had to stop to use the head every ten minutes for ten minutes each stop. His trailer was just a little late coming back but when the Taco Bell shuffle happens what can you do? They tried to discipline him but he coded every stop as directed so it was a mute point. After that the games on both sides stopped. New div mgr is our old feeder mgr and far more reasonable.

We are getting the new IVIS with GPS but as long as you don't be a good off your ok. Screw around and they'll get you. The only ones who have to worry are the ones that attract the attention themselves in the first place.

IE is learning the hard way that they can only control what UPS owns. When Susie Q Civilian crashes her minivan and shuts down the tollway for an hour they find its just TFB , the trailers are going to be late period. Trains late? TFB, find another rail system if you don't like it. Etc.

Pretender has it right. Ask a dumb question or make a dumb mistake. Easy choice. And there are no dumb questions. And don't be afraid to take a mulligan and start over,such as a backing move, etc. Having an ego will get you sent back to package quicker than anything. Everyone sooner or later will have to start a blown move over. It's being smart enough to do it that will avoid a crash, etc.

The sup that trained me was a former driver. On my first day he told me three things to live by in feeder.

1) Don't kill yourself or anyone else.
2) Don't wreck the equipment.
3) Move the right trailer.

raceanoncr

Lol. No. C has been transferred into the hub. Good riddance. New guy is M. Be a straight shooter with him and he is a stand up guy. Same with our new mgrs. if they're on you, you were asking for it.

Copy. If "C" is the same, he came from here and turned into a real "D".

Street hire feeders, went to "B" sleeper, back to brown. Skipped lunch and called enroute to ask if any extras. Raced back and nabbed them before more senior.

Went on to be supe, then "scheduler". Pulled some real bonehead moves. Forced all drivers to take 1 hour meal whereever turn was scheduled. NO EXCEPTIONS! My former sleeper partner had a brown run to a hub. Got out real late here, which made him late THERE. Had to take return air trailer for 'port here in morn. THERE supes said, "You're skipping lunch, right?". He: "Well, according to T, we can't...NO EXCEPTIONS!" Everyone else was gone. He ws only one left to take.

Cut to the chase, air was late, plane took off without it. Major ass-chewing on "T". Lunch issue was dropped and he shortly "moved on".