Anyone working Saturday the 23rd?

i dont get all the histeria about working that sat. it will be peak week, who will have hours avaliable? this is my 17th peak and i have never worked less than 60 full hrs on both weeks leading up to the 25th.
i do hate it when i dont get everything delivered before christmas, but sometimes it just cant get done. last yr in the zip code i work in we missed at least 700 stops on friday. not the drivers fault, it is part bad planning, part no room on any belts in the bldg. we have 9 belts, each with 28 positions. all full plus 4 more cars on each belt loaded via rollers and this yrs all this plus a new idea a satalite roller set up with 10 tp 60s loaded from it. as far as working sat, no hours= no worries.

browniehound

4vente. Check UPS calender for its delivery schedule. It seems its only packages designated for "saturday delivery" will be delivered. However, I'm guessing if there anything in the center that looks like a christmas present, they'll have you deliver it. And yes, you would be entitled to ground rate.

4vente

Browniehound Im glad you replyed and im sorry you got caught on my hook. I just found this web sight am have about 1000000000 questions so let go whenever you want. I also worked the day after thanksgiving and delivered only sixty stops of ground was i also entitled to ground rate?

A

Anonymo

No word at our center yet about the 23 rd . But remember for every driver that does not work that day it make a longer day for your fellow workers.I have worked at UPS for over 22 years. Last year was the first Saturday I can remember working. It was Christmas eve. I believe I worked about 4 hours. This year should be about the same.To make sure people get their presents before Christmas has always been important to me. I time to go the extra step to get them their packages.How would you feel if you were on the receiving end? We are Santa Claus . Just think how those people feel when they see us drive up on Saturday not expecting to get it before Christmas. Don't you feel good about that? Knowing some little boy or girl will be getting that special package from Grandma or Grandpa.Yeah its sucks to work anytime that is suppose to be time off.But if you have to be there make the most of it.Do it with a smile. Merry Christmas to everybody.

Griff

No word at our center yet about the 23 rd . But remember for every driver that does not work that day it make a longer day for your fellow workers.I have worked at UPS for over 22 years. Last year was the first Saturday I can remember working. It was Christmas eve. I believe I worked about 4 hours. This year should be about the same.To make sure people get their presents before Christmas has always been important to me. I time to go the extra step to get them their packages.How would you feel if you were on the receiving end? We are Santa Claus . Just think how those people feel when they see us drive up on Saturday not expecting to get it before Christmas. Don't you feel good about that? Knowing some little boy or girl will be getting that special package from Grandma or Grandpa.Yeah its sucks to work anytime that is suppose to be time off.But if you have to be there make the most of it.Do it with a smile. Merry Christmas to everybody.

It's not my problem if someone doesn't have enough common sense to order early enough for it to get there by Christmas. If you're a last minute shopper and you're ordering online instead of going out to a mall, you deserve to have your Christmas "ruined". I'm not working Saturday because people are lazy, I'll tell my oncar to take the truck out and do it himself.

Griff

Browniehound Im glad you replyed and im sorry you got caught on my hook. I just found this web sight am have about 1000000000 questions so let go whenever you want. I also worked the day after thanksgiving and delivered only sixty stops of ground was i also entitled to ground rate?

They will never pay air drivers ground rate. This problem has happened many times in our center, especially around this time of year. You should refuse to deliver any ground package unless you get the ground rate. If you're an air driver and you have ground on your truck, regardless of the day or holiday, you're entitled to ground rate.

xkingx

yeah and dont NI1 packages that you dont feel like delivering..Had a driver do that to mine last year.. Thankfully my kids Bday is days after XMAS so it became a bday gift..

UPSBOI

You don't want to know!
I'm a pt pick off in the hub. In the spring I started to go through the process to be a delivery driver. They never got me going out there. I then recieved a call at christmas time. The lady said that I was on the schedule to deliver christmas eve. She said it was because I had a valid dot card. I told her that I don't work in that department and my schedule says i'm off. She told me I had to call the sup. and talk to him. I told her I didn't care to call him. I told her he can call me. He called, he said I was scheduled to work. I told him he was crazy. You put me off all this time and now your need a favor.... "Yeah I'll get right on that". He started rantin' and raving...blah blah blah. I told him I'm sitting here looking at my schedule and it says i'm off. He said that he would have a sup ride with me. I again told him, I'm looking at my schedule and it says I'm :censored2: off. He just could not get it. what an idiot. then he said he'd call me back. I never did get the call, not that it would have changed things.

Don't work then file for the sups working that will really chap their hides!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Ill work, when you have no kids at home its just another day, so maybe if I do people with kids wont have to, thats how most of us older drivers think anyway. Ill just take time off after if I want since the volume drops off the next day.

helenofcalifornia

I LOVE working the week after Christmas!!! They collapse the routes into one truck but you are still delivering usually only a few parcels to businesses and one to rezzies. It amazes me at how a building can be totally packed with boxes one week and dead the next.

hoser

Industrial Slob
one saturday of the year guys. you're in the business of delivering packages, and there's outrageous demand for this one week of the year. a lot of the shippers now are casual ma+pa folks who got their gifts off at the UPS store because they believe our brand can deliver results, unlike the post office. if we fail them, their word of mouth is powerful. we're professionals and by far the best in the industry, and i think we should show our clients that we are the best rather than whine about working a saturday prior to a 3-4 day weekend. as much as you are at service to brown, you're also at service to your clients.

be thankful that you're not in retail, having to work boxing day and new years day.

I LOVE working the week after Christmas!!! They collapse the routes into one truck but you are still delivering usually only a few parcels to businesses and one to rezzies. It amazes me at how a building can be totally packed with boxes one week and dead the next.
we call this 'hang over week'. then the shipments from online retailers offering boxing day blowouts come in the first week of 07...