Anyother satellite drivers out there?

helenofcalifornia

You know Satellite Driver, I had a 500 which got switched to a700 because I couldn't put all the volume in it. Yeah it's wider and bigger, but seriously think of switching over. Yeah there are places you may not be able to go now (same with me) but you will only see that trailer only one time during the day to fill it up. And power steering, OMG!!!!!! And that lower first step will save your knees. Think about it seriously. I don't know how many years you have been driving, but if it's any length of time, than a P700 will be the dream truck for you.

browned_out

I've been covering a route that takes the TP-60 trailer out to the satellite rte. Although I don't like unloading the trailer, its not that bad I get to start at 845 pull before anyone else and the best feature is they cut down this rte from 140 to about 115 stops.(SWEET) Can't say that for the satellite driver though, on average she wroks longer hrs then before, due to the fact they used to take work off her because she complained so much. Now they don't see her (don't hear her either) so everything gets loaded in the trailer. She recently decided to go into feeder. Wonder who will want this rte?:w00t:

helenofcalifornia

What's a TP-60 trailer? Is it a 26'er? And how do you "punch out?" Are there any air commitments? (Obviously not) You should seriously think about a P700. I have areas that are just as narrow I bet, and the P700 plows right on through. The cab is HUGE compared to all the rest. And did I already mention power steering and the low first step??? And does your outbound volume get picked up in the morning with the incoming volume? And how many pieces are we talking about? Sorry for all the questions, but what a great job you have where you are UPS but almost totally independent of management as long as there are no significant problems.

SmithBarney

a TP-60 is approx 6 foot by 10 foot trailer roughly
a P1000 can pull it over to our satellite, actually on
the rare occassion they pull 2 TP-60's with 2 P1000.

Our satellite drivers, punch out via FAX machine, and the next night
the diads go back to the main center for download.

Outbound goes back to our main center halfway through the day, thats when the satellite drivers(usually only one) returns to the center with a couple small pickups.

satellitedriver

You know Satellite Driver, I had a 500 which got switched to a700 because I couldn't put all the volume in it. Yeah it's wider and bigger, but seriously think of switching over. Yeah there are places you may not be able to go now (same with me) but you will only see that trailer only one time during the day to fill it up. And power steering, OMG!!!!!! And that lower first step will save your knees. Think about it seriously. I don't know how many years you have been driving, but if it's any length of time, than a P700 will be the dream truck for you.

Hey Helen, I have been driving for twenty years. I save my "in town residentials" to load in the P.M. I would have to fight them thru the day because the roads are so rough they get thrown off the shelfs. I like not having power steering. I think of it as upperbody excercise. A P700 is too long to turn around in the places I have to deliver to.

dammor

I've been covering a route that takes the TP-60 trailer out to the satellite rte. Although I don't like unloading the trailer, its not that bad I get to start at 845 pull before anyone else and the best feature is they cut down this rte from 140 to about 115 stops.(SWEET) Can't say that for the satellite driver though, on average she wroks longer hrs then before, due to the fact they used to take work off her because she complained so much. Now they don't see her (don't hear her either) so everything gets loaded in the trailer. She recently decided to go into feeder. Wonder who will want this rte?:w00t:
This is an interesting discusion because it would seem those that love being a satellite driver are those that already lived close to the location in the dirt field that has now become home base. Those that have lost a run they had for many years and would not follow it feel screwed. That would be me. The wording in the contract here says you have to have 15 employees in a center before you are entitled to a bathroom, running water, and some lighting. And nobody here starts at 9:00. If we get out of the building at 9:45 it is a normal day, so the person in the dirt field starts loading an hour later later. We meet up at 5:30 and most days he has 70 to 90 stops left. Sound like fun to ya'll? The only good news here is that he has NO Supervision. Most of us have more of that than we need, but some who have worked in the dirt field have really taken advantage of this. That is why they have put them in and then taken them out. Now they are talking about putting them in again. I must say I wouldn't care so much if it didn't mean I will loose a run I am so comfortable with. I care about the people on my route and they care about me. I fear that UPS is loosing the service part in the name. I know these folks by name and they do me also. They call me on my cell if there is a proplem. No doubt I am old school though. I've survived here for over 26 and 1/2 years and maybe I'm just too old to understand the new UPS. I will retire as soon as my pension will allow me to and leave it up to the young ones to deal with it.

Good Luck

satellitedriver

I've survived here for over 26 and 1/2 years and maybe I'm just too old to understand the new UPS. I will retire as soon as my pension will allow me to and leave it up to the young ones to deal with it.

Good Luck with the pension . After 20 yrears with UPS, I am disappointed with what the teamsters have done with it. UPS kept every promise they made. I wish the same could be said of the teamsters.