APWA - Is it a real alternative or a foolish choice?

What is your opinion about the Association of Parcel Workers of America?

• I'm a member, it's about time someone challenged the Teamsters

Votes: 45 28.5%
  • Sounds like a good idea, but I'm just not sure

Votes: 55 34.8%
  • We need solidarity, let's stick with the Teamster's

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • It's an effort to bust the union, no way I'll even consider it

Votes: 38 24.1%

• Total voters

Dutch Dawg

.... But I am thinking of starting a union just like them. ..... The $7000 a month that we are promising our members for retirement will probably be up to $10,000 or $12,000 by the time we retire. Thank you and I hope you join.

Rocket Man, what's the address for your start up union's website?
You have to have one and I have to see it and take it all in before I can be taken in...Uh Ur I mean believe it.:crying:

While I neither condone or support everything the Teamsters stand for. I've yet to see a better alternative to represent me as a UPS employee.

any122

adirondack man
Rocket Man, what's the address for your start up union's website?
You have to have one and I have to see it and take it all in before I can be taken in...Uh Ur I mean believe it.:crying:

While I neither condone or support everything the Teamsters stand for. I've yet to see a better alternative to represent me as a UPS employee.
Dutch you have to open your eyes before you can see.I can't believe all the blind people at UPS no wonder why it takes you so long to deliever your driving around with your eyes closed.Maybe we should hook you up with brail?:lol: :lol: :lol:

ezmoney5150

looking at percentages is misleading if UPS pays 35% and all other freight companies pay 35% who is paying more, the single company UPS, if the contribution went to one fund for UPS employees only then the UPS worker would have more pension because we would then get 100% of company contributions each week. at $200 per week we only get $80 put to our retirement and the other $120 goes to all other teamsters, if we got the full $200 each week we would have a pension comparable to the mechanics and yes they do have $10,000 per month to get when they retire, I have a copy from one of them that shows it,so yes the ibt is doing us very wrong, as far as I am concerned criminally wrong. It's time to take the stand and put them out, go with the APWA and let a new UPS only union take over, if you didn't have questions answered send me a private message and I will personally call Van Skillman or Danny Esaon and get the answer for you, or you can go to Parcelworkers - A NEW LOOK!* WHAT MAKES THIS UNION LOOK DIFFERENT''* or apwa and get your answers plus the phone numbers are on there if you would like to call one of them

You trust people who have union busting attorneys on the payroll? Then have at it. Not me.

UPS has been trying to get out of this pension for a while now. If there was something "criminal" going on don't you think UPS would be all over it??????

hoser

Industrial Slob
rogue union that will go nowhere, and if they somehow captivate people into voting for them, they will destroy labour within UPS.

mittam

labor will be strengthened people will have better working conditions and better representation, I can't believe someone went as a "fly on the wall" and say that Van and Danny didn't answer the question about pension funding I have been to several meetings in 3 different states and they have answered it every time , did you listen, I am sure they did not skirt around this issue

marielee

:thumbup1: APWA has my full support. Teamsters give not information on anything given to them like over charges on union dues or why we were told to take care of our problems ourselves. Central States are no better eighter! win or lose I'm out of the teamsters!!!!! No support means no dues paided.

sawdusttv

There is a reason that across the country we have different supplemental contracts, different pension plans, different insurance plans, and all those side agreements under the teamsters.
The teamsters have understood for years that if they keep us broken into small groups, that we are easier to handle and manipulate. The die hard teamster preaches unity but the union purposely keeps us divided. They know if we ever came together that we would take over, this is why we will never have any power in the teamsters union. they would never restructure to allow this.
Well, my UPS brothers and sisters, with the APWA we will have the power, and all the things that looked to be unattainable with the teamsters union will fall right in our laps.
Familiarity breeds contempt, that is what we have with the teamsters. Open your eyes! We have been taught that we can only have what the teamsters give us.
That is so far from the true.
Join the fight and the APWA can and will break us out of the chains that the teamsters put us in.

blaine

my building and i are 100% signed up apwa everyone will have a say with apwa and our union dues will be cut in half after 6 months

W

westsideworma

We haven't even heard of these guys up this way other than people who visit this site. As I said before, until I hear the APWA making some progress (REAL progress) I have to sit tight. I like what I hear about them, but until it seems like they're actually going to be a threat to the current union....its hard to get behind them too much.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
We haven't even heard of these guys up this way other than people who visit this site. As I said before, until I hear the APWA making some progress (REAL progress) I have to sit tight. I like what I hear about them, but until it seems like they're actually going to be a threat to the current union....its hard to get behind them too much.

Agreed. I've had a similar discussion with Engineer 79 and Sawdusttv. Look under UPS Labor Relations for the thread: "Central States is..." -Rocky

Cole

IMHO the Teamsters have tried to keep UPSers weak. Why wouldn't a UPS person be the parcel director?

There is so much corruption and politics in the Teamsters, the APWA gives us a great opportunity to step up to the plate and get our pension woes straight.

705red

Browncafe Steward
IMHO the Teamsters have tried to keep UPSers weak. Why wouldn't a UPS person be the parcel director?

There is so much corruption and politics in the Teamsters, the APWA gives us a great opportunity to step up to the plate and get our pension woes straight.
Cole i have to disagree with you on this one. The problem with upsers being weak are the upsers themselves being all about themselves. Thats the problem there, maybe no upser would take the job as director. How does the apwa plan to straighten out our pension woes. Im not the best computer buff but cole can you look up the employer contributions for the pension plan prior to 1997 and see what companies paid what? I think you might be surprised to see how ups was carried by the other trades within the teamsters pension.

Cole

Cole i have to disagree with you on this one. The problem with upsers being weak are the upsers themselves being all about themselves. Thats the problem there, maybe no upser would take the job as director. How does the apwa plan to straighten out our pension woes. Im not the best computer buff but cole can you look up the employer contributions for the pension plan prior to 1997 and see what companies paid what? I think you might be surprised to see how ups was carried by the other trades within the teamsters pension.

I was going to post something similar regarding this. In every company/union there are people that only think of themselves, and our industry leans you that way, as you are on your own alot, and often people let sit back and let an individual handle the heat for them, or individuals, but I think fear plays the biggest factor. Some people can get in there and mix it up w/management, and some are plain scared, that's why they elect us to represent them.

To me it is imperative to build others up, and teach them the contract, and make them get involved in the process, because if you will do everything for them, they will sure let you. Been there and done that.

I don't know where to get the information, but I will try tonight when I get off work.

When the ba is weak and let's legitimate grievances sit, or does little about it, then those that are scared really get frustrated.

Cole

You trust people who have union busting attorneys on the payroll? Then have at it. Not me.

LOL Hate to break the news to you, but check Hoffa jr's pre-Teamster employment! I think he's doing a great job of busting the Union, and if the APWA, wins, the Teamsters can look right in the mirror to figure out why.

There are plenty of competent people at UPS who can run a union, and represent us.

sawdusttv

LOL Hate to break the news to you, but check Hoffa jr's pre-Teamster employment! I think he's doing a great job of busting the Union, and if the APWA, wins, the Teamsters can look right in the mirror to figure out why.

There are plenty of competent people at UPS who can run a union, and represent us.

You said that right!
The days of the dumb, uneducated truck drivers are long gone. There are 10's of thousands of ups drivers that are college educated, and very capable of running a union.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I agree that there are plenty of colleged and non colleged upsers capable. Why dont we start looking at the next general election and put together a slate to oust hoffa, instaed of dismantling the teamsters.

sawdusttv

I agree that there are plenty of colleged and non colleged upsers capable. Why dont we start looking at the next general election and put together a slate to oust hoffa, instaed of dismantling the teamsters.

No one said anything about dismantling the teamsters. We are just, separating from them in favor of a new CBA. They can still represent the frieght people and whoever else they have.
They just want represent UPSERS any more.

705red

Browncafe Steward
No one said anything about dismantling the teamsters. We are just, separating from them in favor of a new CBA. They can still represent the frieght people and whoever else they have.
They just want represent UPSERS any more.
With all due respect the upsers will never leave the teamsters. If your trying to rattle the ibt cages have at it. The apwa will never happen.