Are my UPS projections realistic?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I never meant half of the workforce will be leaving but even if you take only 10 % of the drivers leaving,which I believe is on the low side,this would still be many thousasnd leaving..I fully understand almost every single opening will go to a part timer. There would be more openings if they didn't work us all 11 or 12 hours a day.
So you're guessing, which is fine. I disagree though, no way 10% of drivers turnover each year. Not even close.

In our hub of 260 package drivers, there is NO way 26 turn over. Maybe 5 or 10.

UPSGUY72

To be young and naive again.

WELL ATLEAST YOUNG.

Between Oct. 2010 and July of 2011 I will make $7,000 loading trucks ($9.50/hr)

Q. Can you buy a house in 2 years?

A. Without a doubt, yes!

Don't listen to the idiots on this forum. You currently load. A P/T job. The assumption is you have a full time job you go to after pre-load. Do a great job and you will still be working after Jan.1. Live only on your full time job pay. Save your UPS checks and just keep dumping them into 60-90 day CD's or a money market account with limited access. When your benny's kick in drop current health insurance and apply that money to the 14K kitty.

That should have you around 15-16K and as long as your credit isn't shot to hell, that is easily enough for the down payment on a $150K house. NOBODY just out-right "buys" a house. We all have a mortgage! If a mortgage isn't what you are thinking then I'd have to guess you to be in the 18-24 year old range and not mature enough to be a home owner

20 % of $150,000 is $30,000. Then he will have monthly payments of about $600 plus taxes.

As for the rest of your goals...

Look, keep a clean driving record so that you are eligable to go into driving when slots open up. Show up for work every morning for Pre-Load and demonstrate you are a reliable, hard worker and you'll see a Sat. Air slot open. 1 week driving course (paid!) and you'll make even more working Sat mornings as well as Mon-Fri. When a full time driving slot opens there you go.

IF you sign the list and and nobody with more senority takes the position.

First year drivers make about $44K, At least I did 5 years ago. It ramps up from there to about $80K-$88K at top rate. But understand, at the top it depends alot on what route you run and if you head in every time after that last package or you call in looking for more work because you still have 45 mins untill the 9.5 mark

Are you for real. I will leave it at that.

So you're guessing, which is fine. I disagree though, no way 10% of drivers turnover each year. Not even close.

In our hub of 260 package drivers, there is NO way 26 turn over. Maybe 5 or 10.

Tell me about it they have hired 1 driver in my local in the last 2 1/2 years.

this is really a sad thread,i mean a fortune 500 company that profited nearly a billion dollars in the 3rd quarter and you cant even get hired in at a friend/t postion.a grown man with a family cant make it on what ups offers,thats sad.

There was a time when all full time positions were filled with outside hires. Did you know that? Also, all p/t employees had to prove thru documentation that they were attending college and, were not allowed to go full time. Just a little past history. By, the way...profit is not a dirty word...and I have never been paid by a company who was broke.