Air driver vs TCD

Luckyjuju

Im a fairly new upser as I was hired and started working in the warehouse in July of this year. I recently passed my road test and was initially told Id be going to UPS school. One of the supervisors asked me if I was more interested in Air driving or TCD and I replied something like "whatever you suggest as Im here to work for you. My end goal is to end up with FT job driving a truck." He suggested I start air driving first. The director of HR suggested it as well and then to sign up for cover driver in Jan 18'. Now, according to HR, I do not need to go to integrad to air drive and I will be air driving when they can find people to train me. Everyone Ive talked to seems confused by this including the supervisor of my shift. now Im stuck trying to decide if I should just sign up to TCD and get the school out of the way or listen to what the higher ups are telling me and follow their suggestion. Its hard because Im still not super familiar with what each job entails, Im not sure what the pay difference is, and which will get me to my end goal faster which would be FT with my own route. Id like to trust what the managemnet is saying but there seems to be a lot of mistrust between EVERYONE. Has anyoen else had this experience? Should I trust what management is telling me? Do you usually need to go to integrad before air driving? are they just blowing smoke up my ass to keep me in warehouse? Im really just confused at this point. I enjoy working at UPS but their methods seem unconventional, individualized, and the descriptions of everything are vague. Any information and/or suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

Staydryitsraining

I was under the impression you only go to intergrad if your going pt warehouse to ft driving. Go tcd and on lay off days hope for air exception driving. What state?

Box Ox

Nah, TCD first. Get that training outta the way while your center/area is resourced to do it quickly. You'll train at a local class and not have to risk getting disqualified for some stupid thing at Integrad. I saw guys behind me get kicked back into preload for super dumb Integrad reasons.

Pay difference is about $24-25/hr for TCDs vs $13ish to start where I am. First day of exception air gets your 2 year clock rolling to a top rate of around $27/hr.

You won't have TCD layoff days during peak season and it'll keep you out of preload. Peak preload sucks :censored2:. 9-10 hours inside. You wouldn't wanna exception air after that anyway.

TCDing also has you out on area with the regular full time drivers who you'll be working with to make sure everything in your loop (area) gets delivered. You build relationships and it's just another work day when you finally do go full time. And you'll learn more about the job and learn it faster than you would doing a little air on the side.

So TCD now through January 15. Then go back to your sort and run exception air before or afterward (and Saturday air if you want) as needed. If an air bid opens up, take that to get out of your inside sort. Next summer, go back to TCD'ing when seasonals can run again on June 1. Run as many days as you can. Get 6 weeks in 90 days outside of peak season and you red circle at your TCD pay rate when you go full time (which you do not have to re-train for). Would normally take 3 years to get to TCD rate. So you make TCD rate until you hit top rate in year 4. Much better than working your way up from $18.xx.

Last edited:

Fastmax

Nah, TCD first. Get that training outta the way while your center/area is resourced to do it quickly. You'll train at a local class and not have to risk getting disqualified for some stupid thing at Integrad. I saw guys behind me get kicked back into preload for super dumb Integrad reasons.

Pay difference is about $24-25/hr for TCDs vs $13ish to start where I am. First day of exception air gets your 2 year clock rolling to a top rate of around $27/hr.

You won't have TCD layoff days during peak season and it'll keep you out of preload. Peak preload sucks :censored2:. 9-10 hours inside. You wouldn't wanna exception air after that anyway.

TCDing also has you out on area with the regular full time drivers who you'll be working with to make sure everything in your loop (area) gets delivered. You build relationships and it's just another work day when you finally do go full time. And you'll learn more about the job and learn it faster than you would doing a little air on the side.

So TCD now through January 15. Then go back to your sort and run exception air before or afterward (and Saturday air if you want) as needed. If an air bid opens up, take that to get out of your inside sort. Next summer, go back to TCD'ing when seasonals can run again on June 1. Run as many days as you can. Get 6 weeks in 90 days outside of peak season and you red circle at your TCD pay rate when you go full time (which you do not have to re-train for). Would normally take 3 years to get to TCD rate. So you make TCD rate until you hit top rate in year 4. Much better than working your way up from $18.xx.
Reading this still has me questioning why I was only making $18.75 an hour as a TCD during peak. I was a part time employee for awhile before getting the TCD position.

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
You should be getting sent to some sort of driving school before air driving. Driving is driving, you’re still in a package car delivering.

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
I disagree, only a small part of Integrad learning applies to art 40 air driving,

Doesn’t have to be intergrad like I said, but he should receive some type of school. My Mon-Fri air driving was Airport shuttles, 8am commits, 10:30am commits then driver shuttle and further Airport runs. I also could work out of a van and delivered palletized bulk to commercial stops and larger air products.

I got sent to a school for that and still treated that same as if I was doing ground work.