Are starting wages for a Tech negotiable?

Parfait

I recently received an offer for an Internship at UPS for the Fall in which I will be expected to work 20 hours a week with an hourly pay of ~19 an hour. I feel this is a low-ball offer, and ~400 pre tax a week does not really inspire me. Does UPS allow candidates for position to negotiate offers once given? Has anyone on here successfully negotiated a higher wage?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS pays industry average for non-union.

If you think $19/he is low then UPS is probably not a place to work long term.

It will look good on your resume though.

Are you needing full time hours?

Parfait

UPS pays industry average for non-union.

If you think $19/he is low then UPS is probably not a place to work long term.

It will look good on your resume though.

Are you needing full time hours?

I wouldnt be able to work full time as I am in school too.

I thought the pay would be around the same as what FedEx pays their technology interns. The guys in my class who worked for them got offers of $23.50, which is massive over the offer UPS has given me in the same city.

You take what we give you and like it!
:laugh: lol!

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I thought the pay would be around the same as what FedEx pays their technology interns. The guys in my class who worked for them got offers of $23.50, which is massive over the offer UPS has given me in the same city.

Make a counteroffer with the FedEx as the reason.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Have you applied at FedEx?
Not much difference on your resume!
Many people consider FedEx as good if not better than UPS.

What field are you in?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Would you want them to match, or would you want higher?

I feel like given my responsibilities I can in good faith ask for $25.
Figure out what your lowest acceptable wage is and add $3/he to that.
A lot depends on how well you sell yourself.
Develop a list of intangible abilities you have not list on application.

Parfait

Have you applied at FedEx?
Not much difference on your resume!
Many people consider FedEx as good if not better than UPS.

What field are you in?

They are only taking for next summer and not fall at this point.

I am a computer science student looking to go into Software Engineering.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They are only taking for next summer and not fall at this point.

I am a computer science student looking to go into Software Engineering.
The seasonal aspect of the FedEx offer may be why FedEx is paying A "premium".

Most likely, you are applying for a Tech position in UPS's TSG (Technology Support Group) which is under the I.E. (Industrial Engineering) organization.

This is not a smooth or given transition into UPS's Information Technolgy organization (called Information Services or I.S.).
Are you looking for a career/degree position with UPS after graduation?

Parfait

Negotiation was a no-go:wince:. Hourly offer was final, and apparently given directly from management.

I still have a little time before I have to give an answer, so I will see if anything pops up within the next week.

Thanks for the support guys/gals.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Negotiation was a no-go:wince:. Hourly offer was final, and apparently given directly from management.

I still have a little time before I have to give an answer, so I will see if anything pops up within the next week.

Thanks for the support guys/gals.

UPS is not the normal choice of employment of many Technology workers ... no stock options and no chance of IPO and getting rich quick.
Compensation is average and the only way to increase is to accept a higher responsibility position.
The selection process for those positions tend to less technical and more towards social skills.
UPS does offer a chance to work in a strong training environment in a strong work ethics environment.
And what UPS offers than many technology companies can't is a stable and long-term working environment.
UPS spends over a billion a year on technology and is an integral and critical part of the corporation.

Note: The same applies to FedEx and any other transportation corporation.

Good luck with your decision and life.