Are UPS trucks as bad as Fedex trucks?

After working over two months at a Fedex contractor and having various in depth conversations with my manager and co workers about the current state of Fedex I've come to think quite poorly of the company. From what I've gathered is that Fedex wanted to jump into the ground transportation game at any cost and adopted the contractor work structure to greatly reduce expenses at the cost of a reduced quality of life. I was told that UPS has a particular disliking of Fedex due to this work philosophy which is totally understandable seeing as how UPS has developed a very high quality of life work atmosphere for their employees.

My biggest concern at the moment is the poor conditions of the trucks that almost every contractor in the building I'm based at has. My particular employer's trucks almost all have a diesel fume leak that enters the cabin which is evident by the smell when depressing the throttle and the confirmation of the fumes entering the cabin my co workers and supervisors who seem to take the issue as a normal part of the job.

I'm aware that UPS has a much higher quality of life atmosphere such as pay, benefits, etc. which all seem to stem from being unionized but are the vehicles more maintained than those driven by Fedex? I've been recommended to report my contractor to OSHA immediately due to the health risks of driving 8+ hour shifts breathing in diesel (and carbon monoxide no doubt) fumes for basically the entire work day. I feel a bit ashamed to actively take part in such a bottom line corporation but truly didn't know it was like this before I applied. It will be a struggle to find another job should I leave this place but I do place my health, and that of others, above getting a paycheck.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
The new trucks at UPS are NOTHING like the old ones. The old ones had plenty of fumes, engine loud as hell, lap belt only, knuckles touching the window as you grip the steering wheel. High step guaranteed knee problems, three points of contact wouldn't save you from that. Stick shift smack dab in the middle of the floor when you're trying to stack packages to load on the handcart. No power steering guaranteeing shoulder problems. The new ones have none of those problems.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
The new UPS trucks are indeed much quieter and have cleaner air in the cab than the old trucks. The one downside is the ones I drove were loaded with bells and whistles. Literally.

If you leave the lights on while dr ing a pkg, if your parking break sensor goes bad, if your diesel wants to alert you that you started it before the water in fuel sensor got warmed up etc etc etc, you will get a buzzer, a whistle, a beeper or the like til you think you're gonna go deaf. This always seemed to happen to me on the same damn day that red location beeper on the diad would go bonkers on every regular stop I made.

Newer isn't necessarily " better quality of life" in every respect.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
xGoJAP.gif

Overpaid Union Thug

After working over two months at a Fedex contractor and having various in depth conversations with my manager and co workers about the current state of Fedex I've come to think quite poorly of the company. From what I've gathered is that Fedex wanted to jump into the ground transportation game at any cost and adopted the contractor work structure to greatly reduce expenses at the cost of a reduced quality of life. I was told that UPS has a particular disliking of Fedex due to this work philosophy which is totally understandable seeing as how UPS has developed a very high quality of life work atmosphere for their employees.

My biggest concern at the moment is the poor conditions of the trucks that almost every contractor in the building I'm based at has. My particular employer's trucks almost all have a diesel fume leak that enters the cabin which is evident by the smell when depressing the throttle and the confirmation of the fumes entering the cabin my co workers and supervisors who seem to take the issue as a normal part of the job.

I'm aware that UPS has a much higher quality of life atmosphere such as pay, benefits, etc. which all seem to stem from being unionized but are the vehicles more maintained than those driven by Fedex? I've been recommended to report my contractor to OSHA immediately due to the health risks of driving 8+ hour shifts breathing in diesel (and carbon monoxide no doubt) fumes for basically the entire work day. I feel a bit ashamed to actively take part in such a bottom line corporation but truly didn't know it was like this before I applied. It will be a struggle to find another job should I leave this place but I do place my health, and that of others, above getting a paycheck.
Many of the trucks at FedEx Ground are in disrepair because of the contractor business model scam the owners are under. The time/cost it takes to maintain them are quite the burden for the owners. We have several in my area that have their bulkhead doors barely sitting in their frames. And most of them sound like they are about to break down any minute. It's easy to hear them because they are all left running at each stop.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
Some of the transport drivers that deliver the new package cars to our center complain how bad they ride. I let them know these 1's ride like Cadillacs compared to our old GMCs. We've gotten rid of all of our old "penalty trucks" this year.

dudebro

The new trucks at UPS are NOTHING like the old ones. The old ones had plenty of fumes, engine loud as hell, lap belt only, knuckles touching the window as you grip the steering wheel. High step guaranteed knee problems, three points of contact wouldn't save you from that. Stick shift smack dab in the middle of the floor when you're trying to stack packages to load on the handcart. No power steering guaranteeing shoulder problems. The new ones have none of those problems.

LOL at the knuckles touching the window part. The steering wheels HAD to be that big...to give you enough leverage to turn the wheels with no power steering as you mentioned later. The new vehicles have come a long way, ergonomically.

2BadKneesPlease

Power doors would be nice. Heck, I'd be happy with a freaking handle on the inside of the back door. Electric toggle switches for the hazards and parking brake would be sweet too.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily

I'll never forget when my P12 starting acting up like this. On Mondays after sitting the entire weekend in the cold the engine would not start. You had to let the glow plugs charge for HELLA long to get it to start. I remember the onroad trying for a couple minutes one time and the truck spewed so much exhaust that that everyone on the line had to leave the area. And when it finally did start the truck would have a top speed of about 15 miles per hour in the first 10 minutes of driving. Terrible times.

PT Car Washer

I'll never forget when my P12 starting acting up like this. On Mondays after sitting the entire weekend in the cold the engine would not start. You had to let the glow plugs charge for HELLA long to get it to start. I remember the onroad trying for a couple minutes one time and the truck spewed so much exhaust that that everyone on the line had to leave the area. And when it finally did start the truck would have a top speed of about 15 miles per hour in the first 10 minutes of driving. Terrible times.
You didn't use any starting fluid? A lot of times that is the only way to get some of the old dinosaurs to start in the cold.

BrownTexas

The difference between Ups and FedEx trucks is simple. If I have an issue with my truck, the mechanic on staff fixes it that night. FedEx would require the contractor taking the car out of service for a few days and him having to find another vehicle. So they don't do anything unless it keeps the truck from operation.

OptimusPrime

Pretty sure the video this was taken from was a "runaway" diesel. Only thing you can do is stuff something into the air intake to get it to die.

bumped

The new UPS trucks are indeed much quieter and have cleaner air in the cab than the old trucks. The one downside is the ones I drove were loaded with bells and whistles. Literally.

If you leave the lights on while dr ing a pkg, if your parking break sensor goes bad, if your diesel wants to alert you that you started it before the water in fuel sensor got warmed up etc etc etc, you will get a buzzer, a whistle, a beeper or the like til you think you're gonna go deaf. This always seemed to happen to me on the same damn day that red location beeper on the diad would go bonkers on every regular stop I made.

Newer isn't necessarily " better quality of life" in every respect.

Turn down your dash lights real low or off, and you won't have that annoying headlight sensor beep at you.