Arizona Transfer - Need advice PLEASE

I Currently live in Southern California. I can't stand it here anymore (air/culture/people) the list goes on! My parents relocated to Prescott and my husband and I also decided to move there. I am a nurse and he has 20+ years with UPS. We thought we would easily relocate our family to arizona. . . not so. It has been 5 years now - he has been #1 or #2 each year for these two hubs he is requesting - Flagstaff and Prescott Valley -
Anyone have any suggestions on how to get moved over there? This is killin us - Does anyone have any experience with medical necessity? My personal physicians are recommending the move because of the air quality being so poor here in Cali...would that work?
If you guys could give me any info/help I would greatly appreciate it!

kdogg788

I haven't been around here very long but from what I've heard it takes an act of god and/or congress to transfer anywhere. What if they are hiring people who have asked for transfers from elsewhere? The other thread mentioned that they are small centers too, so maybe the don't hire that often or take more local transfers first? Too many possibilities, and with these guys it doesn't seem like you can pick and choose. Would he consider leaving UPS if you guys really wanted to move right away?

-k

CaliforniaPaul

I knew of a driver in the SF bay area that got a medically approved transfer to the Fresno building a few years back. The only thing that may have helped is she transfered within the same district, East Bay at that time.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I haven't been around here very long but from what I've heard it takes an act of god and/or congress to transfer anywhere. What if they are hiring people who have asked for transfers from elsewhere? The other thread mentioned that they are small centers too, so maybe the don't hire that often or take more local transfers first? Too many possibilities, and with these guys it doesn't seem like you can pick and choose. Would he consider leaving UPS if you guys really wanted to move right away?

-k
From my experience, they are few, far between, and recently the one I heard of didnt turn out so well. I think when it does happen, you lose seniority rights, they dont dovetail you in. Good Luck. An act of God, Congress, Or advantage to them, maybe.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

From my experience, they are few, far between, and recently the one I heard of didnt turn out so well. I think when it does happen, you lose seniority rights, they dont dovetail you in. Good Luck. An act of God, Congress, Or advantage to them, maybe.

You retain your company seniority but do lose building seniority, which is only fair to the employees at the center you are transferring to.

klein

Für Meno :)
I wanted to stay away from this thread, but you as a Nurse and him as a driver, the both of you earn and earned really good money, and now if a UPS job is more important then health, then I have no sympathy.

The other thing is: Some people on here consider being a driver for UPS is a career, it's far from it.
You as a nurse can work everywhere, in any city, state, even country and still receive excellent wages.
The driver can't transfer or change jobs and expect the same.

If health is more important to you, then just move, he can find something else to do.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I wanted to stay away from this thread, but you as a Nurse and him as a driver, the both of you earn and earned really good money, and now if a UPS job is more important then health, then I have no sympathy.

The other thing is: Some people on here consider being a driver for UPS is a career, it's far from it.
You as a nurse can work everywhere, in any city, state, even country and still receive excellent wages.
The driver can't transfer or change jobs and expect the same.

If health is more important to you, then just move, he can find something else to do.

I guess ignorance never sleeps.....

Career is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as a person's "course or progress through life (or a distinct portion of life)". It is usually considered to pertain to remunerative work (and sometimes also formal education). (courtesy of Wikipedia)

I would think that spending 30 years (or more) with one company would define the word career. A career is not defined by one's ability to easily relocate--that would be called a profession. My ex-wife is an RN and, you are right, they make a comparable wage yet have the ability to work wherever they are licensed.

Klein, don't let your inability to hold on to what was undoubtedly the best job you may have ever had blur your vision. A UPS driver makes an excellent wage and enjoys one of the best benefit and pension packages in our industry. UPS has given me the means to help both of my children further themselves through college, took care of their health needs growing up and will ensure that I will have a secure retirement.

I wonder how many hot dog vendors who owe money to the IRS can say that.

klein

Go to Kijiji.com, or Canada's job bank.
Look how many UPS centers are looking for UPS drivers and handlers.

They have a huge turnover, it's definitly not the best job here !

klein

Not sure, I should have left before xmas, as my last job wanted me back so badly and even offered me full seniority back. (they have talked with the union already and even my ex co-workers) - and I did go visit and thought hard about it.
Made the mistake though and stayed with UPS.
Leaving my house at 7:30am every day, and comming home at 9pm or even later daily (working for UPS), was not the greatest job. During peak got home around 10:30 to 11pm.

I probably would have kept my eyes open for something else.
And remember winters are brutal here. Working outside at -30 degress, sometimes in blizzard conditions and lots of snow, ain't fun.

Klein -Its a shame you are so unhappy with UPS but then again why are u still on brown cafe if you cant stand ups so much? That would be self-inflicted torture for you right? One wonders... You must have a lot of time on your hands? One could benefit from what I teach my children, "If you cant say something nice then dont say anything at all"
We have to look at the overall picture, the wellbeing of our family. As I mentioned, we have family in AZ which is why we are wanting to be closer to them. In addition to this, UPS provides better benefits than any hospital or corp I could EVER work for as an RN- not to mention a great pension for my husband. Obviously, as a successful RN, physical health is important - but so is psychological health. The stress that would be incurred on myself, my husband, from my husband quitting his UPS career only to "just move" and "he can find something else to do" is of far greater concern then the state of my asthma- not to mention the financial hardship.

Thankyou Helloworld for coming to my defense - I too think that my husbands 20+ years with UPS can describe a "career". It looks like we think alike. UPS is actually a better career than RN in terms of less turnover, less workers comp cases - statistically prove, wages, benefits, pension.

I appreciate everyone's words of wisdom and look forward to checking to see if anyone else has any further suggestions.
Thank you kindly.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Klein -Its a shame you are so unhappy with UPS but then again why are u still on brown cafe if you cant stand ups so much? That would be self-inflicted torture for you right? One wonders... You must have a lot of time on your hands? One could benefit from what I teach my children, "If you cant say something nice then dont say anything at all"
We have to look at the overall picture, the wellbeing of our family. As I mentioned, we have family in AZ which is why we are wanting to be closer to them. In addition to this, UPS provides better benefits than any hospital or corp I could EVER work for as an RN- not to mention a great pension for my husband. Obviously, as a successful RN, physical health is important - but so is psychological health. The stress that would be incurred on myself, my husband, from my husband quitting his UPS career only to "just move" and "he can find something else to do" is of far greater concern then the state of my asthma- not to mention the financial hardship.

Thankyou Helloworld for coming to my defense - I too think that my husbands 20+ years with UPS can describe a "career". It looks like we think alike. UPS is actually a better career than RN in terms of less turnover, less workers comp cases - statistically prove, wages, benefits, pension.

I appreciate everyone's words of wisdom and look forward to checking to see if anyone else has any further suggestions.
Thank you kindly.
Sometimes a set of 'new eyes' really sees things!!!

hdkappler

I Currently live in Southern California. I can't stand it here anymore (air/culture/people) the list goes on! My parents relocated to Prescott and my husband and I also decided to move there. I am a nurse and he has 20+ years with UPS. We thought we would easily relocate our family to arizona. . . not so. It has been 5 years now - he has been #1 or #2 each year for these two hubs he is requesting - Flagstaff and Prescott Valley -
Anyone have any suggestions on how to get moved over there? This is killin us - Does anyone have any experience with medical necessity? My personal physicians are recommending the move because of the air quality being so poor here in Cali...would that work?
If you guys could give me any info/help I would greatly appreciate it!
if your husband has been there 20 years see if he can retire at 25&out.or 30&out.then move.or just you move then when he retires he can move.with the money you earn you could have a summer home.stick it out a few more years.

thx hdkappler....im just ready to move and so is he - right age for the kiddos too...just hard when the co makes it so difficult - i understand the process...just gets old after awhile...

Leftinbuilding

Something else to consider....we had some drivers transfer in (N Cal) just before the recession hit. Because they went to the bottom of the building seniority list, they were laid off even though they had 15 -20 years company seniority. Also, have you considered Payson, or one of the larger Valley centers?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Very good point Left. We have 2 drivers that transfered into our center, also before this recession hit. They have near 40 years between them. They have been on lay-off most of the last year and a half.

The odds of getting into the Payson ctr is not any better than Prescott.

UPSGUY72

enroll as a full time student near your desired location, transfer then drop out? is that possible?[/QUOTE

You have to enroll in classes whicH mean you have to pay $$$$ the college for those classes. Lat time I knew you don't get a refund if you choose not to go to classes. So you although it might work your going to lose money.