Arizona's anti-imigration law...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would think Texas or Az. would come right after CA. But, N.Y. is up there with spending on those illegals. Gives you a warm feeling doesn't it?

This is why I think the chart is misleading. I think they took the aggregate cost of dealing with illegal immigrants, divided it by the total population and then broke it down by the population of each state.

New York would be even more broke if we spent that much dealing with illegals.

wkmac

That chart, which I assume takes the aggegate costs associated with illegal immigration and computes the per capita costs by state, is misleading. There is no way New York spends the 2nd most in the nation dealing with this issue.

And Alaska spends $139 mil and Hawaii spends $155 mil? Alaska it would seem has a problem with illegal "MOOSE" immigrants and Hawaii is fighting illegal "SURFER" immigration!

Good point Upstate and the idea that NY is spending nearly 5 times the amount of Arizona and more than Texas is just absurd!

moreluck

golden ticket member
And Alaska spends $139 mil and Hawaii spends $155 mil? Alaska it would seem has a problem with illegal "MOOSE" immigrants and Hawaii is fighting illegal "SURFER" immigration!

Good point Upstate and the idea that NY is spending nearly 5 times the amount of Arizona and more than Texas is just absurd!

Putting Numbers on It

So who’s coming into Hawaii? Where are they coming from? It’s tough to pin down—undocumented aliens are, by definition, an invisible population. No agency or organization we spoke with had a good idea about just how many undocumented foreign nationals currently live in the state. The closest thing to a recent estimate appears to be a 2006 study by the Pew Hispanic Center, which found that Hawaii is home to 20,000 to 35,000 undocumented migrant workers. Many we interviewed said that was probably a conservative figure.

Mexican 32%
Chinese 17%
Phillipines 16%
S. Korea 6%
Brazil 5%
Micronesia 2%
Japan 2%
Viet Nam 2%
Other 20%

moreluck

golden ticket member
This is why I think the chart is misleading. I think they took the aggregate cost of dealing with illegal immigrants, divided it by the total population and then broke it down by the population of each state.

New York would be even more broke if we spent that much dealing with illegals.
Now you see why CA. is broke. There are $billions being paid to illegals in $$ and services.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I think the map is correct!!

"According to a Fiscal Policy Institute analysis of 2000 to 2006 data, there are 374,000 illegal immigrant workers in New York City, which makes up 10 percent of the resident workforce [SUP][3][/SUP].. With 374,000 out of 535,000 illegal immigrants working in New York City, illegal immigrants have a labor force participation rate of roughly 70 percent. This percentage is higher than the labor force participation rate for native-born residents, 60 percent, or for overall foreign-born residents, 64 percent, in New York City [SUP][3][/SUP].
Illegal immigrants can be found working in almost every industry in New York City performing a wide variety of tasks. More than half of all dishwashers in the city are illegal immigrants, as are a third of all sewing machine operators, painters, cooks, construction laborers, and food preparation workers. Illegal immigrants also make up close to 30 percent of the city’s automotive service technicians & mechanics, waiters & waitresses, maids & housekeeping cleaners, and carpenters. The five occupations with the most illegal immigrant workers in New York City are cooks (21,000), janitors & building cleaners (19,000), construction laborers (17,000), maids & housekeeping cleaners (16,000), and waiters & waitresses (15,000)."

According to the Chronicle of Higher Education, the State University of New York system does not keep track of whether a foreign student is in the country legally or illegally. Consequentially, the City University of New York hosts about 2,000 illegal immigrant students [SUP][2][/SUP].

These illegal immigrant students, however, cost the city’s legal residents billions of dollars according to the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR), an organization that favors tougher immigration enforcement. According to FAIR, Illegal immigrants in K-12 public schools cost New York taxpayers $1.5 billion per year. Furthermore, the U.S. citizen children of illegal immigrants cost the taxpayers an additional $2.8 billion per year. When these two numbers are combined, the total cost of educating illegal immigrants and children of illegal immigrants in K-12 public schools is more than $4.3 billion annually for the state’s taxpayers. Furthermore, the state’s admission of illegal immigrants into the state’s public universities and community colleges at taxpayer subsidized in-state tuition rates costs the city and state’s taxpayers an additional $29–38 million per year [SUP][2][/SUP].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_immigration_to_New_York_City

wkmac

Putting Numbers on It

So who’s coming into Hawaii? Where are they coming from? It’s tough to pin down—undocumented aliens are, by definition, an invisible population. No agency or organization we spoke with had a good idea about just how many undocumented foreign nationals currently live in the state. The closest thing to a recent estimate appears to be a 2006 study by the Pew Hispanic Center, which found that Hawaii is home to 20,000 to 35,000 undocumented migrant workers. Many we interviewed said that was probably a conservative figure.

Mexican 32%
Chinese 17%
Phillipines 16%
S. Korea 6%
Brazil 5%
Micronesia 2%
Japan 2%
Viet Nam 2%
Other 20%

Then how in the world do you put a definite number on that? You just made Upstate's point "the chart is misleading" for him. And again thanks to your above comments, he again is dead on the money!

DING! DING! DING! Upstate's the winner, give the man a good Cee-gar!

Your Xenophobia Moreluck is getting old if not absurd and that goes for your sons Darrell and his other brother Darrell!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
"According to the Center for Immigration Studies, which favors tougher immigration enforcement, almost half the households headed by an illegal immigrant are receiving welfare, food assistance and health benefits for their children [8]. In total, the illegal immigrant population residing in New York costs the state’s taxpayers more than $5 billion per year for education, medical care and incarceration costs according to the Federation for American Immigration Reform [2]. On a per person basis, the annual tax burden amounts to about $874 per New York household headed by a native-born resident [6]. Even if the estimated $730 million in sales, income and property taxes collected from illegal immigrants are subtracted from the fiscal outlays, net costs still amount to more than $4.5 billion per year for the city and state’s taxpayers [2]."

moreluck

golden ticket member
Then how in the world do you put a definite number on that? You just made Upstate's point "the chart is misleading" for him. And again thanks to your above comments, he again is dead on the money!

DING! DING! DING! Upstate's the winner, give the man a good Cee-gar!

Your Xenophobia Moreluck is getting old if not absurd and that goes for your sons Darrell and his other brother Darrell!

How am I a Xeno.......these are figures from Hawaii. How does "fear of foreigners" apply here. It's illegals I can't tolerate. You are so off base it's ridiculous.

I posted some N.Y. numbers from a few years ago regarding the $$$$ spent on illegals there.....probably only worse today. I still think the map is correct.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20110918-OPINION-109180315
'HALT' illegal immigration

U.S. Congressman Frank Guinta represents New Hampshire's First District.

Between seven and 20 million people currently live and work in the United States illegally.They don't pay local, state or federal taxes, yet they place an additional burden on government services and severely strain limited revenue sources. Because they came here illegally, there was no chance to check them for a criminal background. Their children attend public schools, adding to classroom size and diverting scarce education dollars. These problems keep mounting as people keep coming here illegally.
But illegal immigration is something entirely different. The U.S. is a nation of laws. Illegal immigrants choose not to play by the rules, and then expect to receive all the privileges given to those who followed the law and now live here legally. That's just not right.

Let me repeat what I have said many times before: I do not favor, and I will never support, any attempt to grant amnesty to illegal immigrants.
I recently joined more than 50 of my colleagues in signing a letter to President Obama, protesting his action. I am also a member of the Immigration Reform Caucus in Congress.
But my involvement doesn't end there. I'm adding my name as a co-sponsor to H.R. 2497, the HALT (Hinder the Administration's Legalization Temptation) Act. The HALT Act would prevent U.S. Customs and Immigration Services and Immigration and Customs Enforcement from granting parole for illegals who commit crimes; issuing work authorizations; extending voluntary departures; giving illegals TPS (temporary protection status); executing deferred actions (authorizing illegals to work in the U.S); and reverses the administration's recent executive order authorizing the cancellation of the removal of illegal aliens from our country.
To put it in everyday language, the HALT Act would do just that: It would halt the Obama administration's efforts to get around the law and would require the USCIS and ICE to continue doing their jobs.
As an American citizen, you have the right to expect nothing less.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]Mexico horror: Gunmen dump 35 bodies on avenue
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif] MEXICO CITY (AP) - Suspected drug traffickers drove two trucks to a main avenue in a Mexican Gulf coast city and dumped 35 slaying victims during rush hour while gunmen stood guard and pointed their weapons at frightened motorists.
The gruesome scene Tuesday in the downtown of Boca del Rio was the latest escalation in drug violence in Veracruz state, which sits on an important route for drugs and Central American migrants heading north.
The Zetas drug cartel has been locked in a bloody war with drug gangs for control of the state.
Veracruz state Attorney General Reynaldo Escobar Perez said the bodies were left piled in two trucks and on the ground at an underpass near the city's biggest shopping mall and its statue of the Voladores de Papantla - ritual dancers from Veracruz state.
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]Local media said that 12 of the victims were women[/FONT]

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif][/FONT]

UPS Lifer

I have been wondering this for awhile now.... The administration came after Arizona with a vengeance and other organizations and states along with some cities boycotted AZ. But it seemed that a wave was started and now that other states are putting legislation into law... where is the push back from the Feds or any left wing loons for that matter?

I can tell you this... When the states get tough, the illegals run for the hills and it is the states like California that suffer. I recently went back to CA and everywhere I went, I felt like I was in another country. I am sure I am wrong but it seems that there has been a drastic change in demographics since Xmas.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I have been wondering this for awhile now.... The administration came after Arizona with a vengeance and other organizations and states along with some cities boycotted AZ. But it seemed that a wave was started and now that other states are putting legislation into law... where is the push back from the Feds or any left wing loons for that matter?

I can tell you this... When the states get tough, the illegals run for the hills and it is the states like California that suffer. I recently went back to CA and everywhere I went, I felt like I was in another country. I am sure I am wrong but it seems that there has been a drastic change in demographics since Xmas.

Oh, that was just the prisoner release they had!!