Around the Home and Yard! (On topic only)

oldngray

nowhere special
I got some stuff looks like rock salt but it's not it has beet juice in it kind of a pinkish color
Supposed to be "less" harmful to concrete
We"ll see

I tried salt free ice melt and wasn't impressed by it.

I heard about the beet juice but never tried it.

rod

Retired 22 years
Nothing gets done outside until it warms up --- except maybe some snow shoveling and even that gets less attention as the winter drags on.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is a town about 25 miles from here that used to mine iron ore. They left behind a huge pile of mine dust when the mine closed. The town uses that to treat the roads-----doesn't work very well and gets your vehicle dirty but it is free.

rod

Retired 22 years
Better use them while he can before that wall gets built

Its going to take more than a wall. I did hear though that more Latinos are heading back to their home countries than ever before. Probably just going to lay low until the heat is off.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I have a holly bush in my back yard that gets a lot of shade. It has developed a black mold/fungus(?) on a lot of the leaves. Any ideas on how or if I can get rid of it?

oldngray

nowhere special
I have a holly bush in my back yard that gets a lot of shade. It has developed a black mold/fungus(?) on a lot of the leaves. Any ideas on how or if I can get rid of it?

Try spraying with a vinegar/water and a bit of liquid dish soap

Vinegar changes the leaves PH
and the soap helps it stick to the leaves

From insects I think so soap/insecticide would be my first remedy.

rod

Retired 22 years
Fertilize and water (anything you grow)---but don't over do either. A friend that owns a landscaping/nursery business always says that it is the easiest business there is. If someone complains about their shrubs, plants, trees or lawn dying all you do is tell them they either watered it too much or not enough. (he does say this in a joking way and guarantees his stuff for the whole growing season---which is about 2 weeks here--jk).