As Good as it Gets

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
When you say less than market-level wages, are you only comparing to UPS? I have always understood market-level wages to mean more than comparing to just one company. If you are comparing to more than just UPS, then what sources do you have to show that Express employees are making less than market-level wages? I'm not saying you are right or wrong, but you are stating it as fact so I was curious what studies you were using.

UPS would be a logical comparison. If you compare wages and benefits, we aren't even close. Fred's failure to keep pace with the cost of living widens the gap.

Broke

It is those wages and benefits that are slowly pricing us out of the game.
If Fedex were paying comparable wages (not exact) to UPS, then you guys wouldn't be being priced out of the game. So, UPS workers need to be helping us out and informing Fedex workers the benefits of having a union. It would be good for all of us (UPS and Fedex workers) if we at Fedex were to organize.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

We've got a long ways to go to even get close to you at UPS. As FedEx has grown cheaper, the overall quality of employee has declined substantially. IMO, many customers would rather deal with drivers who are professional and get the job done. At FedEx, we make excuses or lie because we have to give the customer the impression that we're competent when we aren't. The eff-ups are starting to pile-up and customers know the difference.

vantexan

Don't know about UPS prices, but a priority letter FedExed from east Texas to eastern NC costs over $35! FedEx had a $419 million dollar profit last quarter. They're making good money in a weak economy. They certainly could pay better.

vantexan

Oh come on, read what I wrote! Is it really that difficult? I didn't say everyone will do 10 to 20 more stops a day. Look, it's not rocket science. Let's agree, for arguments sake, that a union is the only way that pay will increase substantially. Do you really think that the union will come to the table, ask for that substantial pay increase which could easily cost $100MM/year (probably a lot more), and FedEx is just going to say "ok"? MrFedEx said OSS has already made sure most routes are at capacity but what he hasn't explained is where that capacity number comes from. Just talk to the swing drivers in any station and they'll point out the routes that really aren't at capacity. Also, take a good look around your station, any station, and you can see people wasting time on both a.m. and p.m. sorts, and when they return to the building. Those are all areas that will get a lot of focus in terms of trimming fat. It's really not a bad thing as it eliminates waste but it's a very rough environment to work in and it sucks if you are low man on the totem pole because no matter how good you are, you'll be the one fighting for a job as routes get eliminated.

As for your question about seeing a national vote now, my guess is because the unions don't want to spend the money and take the risk. They'd much rather minimize their exposure by targeting those locations that they know have a lot of union support if and when they can. Don't forget for a minute that unions are a business and they try to make sound business decisions. Trying to go after a national vote isn't a sound business decision in their eyes.

You made a point of saying some would lose their jobs and others will have to take on stops from the rts of fired or laid off couriers. Fearmongering. Look, I believe if we vote in a union things will get "interesting." But we either take the risk, or settle for less. I'm tired of settling. I'm not asking for the moon, just believe that if I work hard after a reasonable amount of time I should share in the rewards that the topped out employees are getting. Not expecting it in 3 years, not expecting UPS wages, just be reasonable. As far as working harder, I'm telling you that I have always worked as hard as I can. Certainly there are those that don't. But that's a glaring problem at FedEx. They don't reward hard work. I've refused awards for several years now including my 10 year service award. It violates my conscience to accept awards from a company that is so unfair with their pay policies. I don't need "attaboys", I need better pay. And it appears voting for a union is the only chance we have for better pay. But if they want to topout those with 10+ years, and raise top pay a bit, they'll probably head off a union. But they're going to have to do something substantial for mid-range employees. We are getting reamed financially.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
But if they want to topout those with 10+ years, and raise top pay a bit, they'll probably head off a union. But they're going to have to do something substantial for mid-range employees. We are getting reamed financially.

It's gonna take more than a topout for Fredex to avoid a union. What about retirement, insurance, grievance procedures? Fred has sucessfully let all those catagories turn to manure. Secondly, why should it even take even 10 years for a courier to reach top scale?

vantexan

It's gonna take more than a topout for Fredex to avoid a union. What about retirement, insurance, grievance procedures? Fred has sucessfully let all those catagories turn to manure. Secondly, why should it even take even 10 years for a courier to reach top scale?

There's an old saying: "It's better to have part of the pie than no pie at all." I'd rather meet them halfway. I'm pretty certain that they can only do so much for us, and they should at least be doing that. If you are pushing for everything UPS drivers get I think you'll be disappointed. But your mileage may vary. I hope you aren't going to label me as one of "Fred's boys." There's a large spectrum of belief as to what should happen. If everyone gets attacked for not having the same goals they may decide it's not worth voting for.

bbsam

Staff member
That's a bold prediction for a company that hasn't even begun the organizing process.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
There's an old saying: "It's better to have part of the pie than no pie at all." I'd rather meet them halfway. I'm pretty certain that they can only do so much for us, and they should at least be doing that. If you are pushing for everything UPS drivers get I think you'll be disappointed. But your mileage may vary. I hope you aren't going to label me as one of "Fred's boys." There's a large spectrum of belief as to what should happen. If everyone gets attacked for not having the same goals they may decide it's not worth voting for.

That's a bold prediction for a company that hasn't even begun the organizing process.

Vantexan and Sam, it's time to think "big school" here.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

images