Ask a PT supervisor anything.

anonymous4

Why do outbound supes call for a trailer pull before the trailer is fully loaded and the door is shut?

Do they think they can predict when the shifter will get there?

It's not rocket science........

Put paperwork in trailer where driver can reach it from ground level;
Load trailer;
Put load retainer up per hub ops manual;
Close and latch trailer door;
Call for a trailer pull.

I know you can do it!

Look at that chair. What a finely crafted chair.

550d6d1b148111085c2c9d1a03ccab38_fullsize.jpg
550d6d1b148111085c2c9d1a03ccab38_fullsize.jpg

YourBoss

Why do outbound supes call for a trailer pull before the trailer is fully loaded and the door is shut?

Do they think they can predict when the shifter will get there?

It's not rocket science........

Put paperwork in trailer where driver can reach it from ground level;
Load trailer;
Put load retainer up per hub ops manual;
Close and latch trailer door;
Call for a trailer pull.
Help you on that..lm0
I know you can do it!

I don't have these problems, so I can't help you on that. I make my shifter do tons of crap besides shift.

Last edited:

YourBoss

Two questions. Do you believe the person who says you're virtually guaranteed a FT slot after you finish school? Did someone ask you this question before?

When multiple people tell you that, and that's how it's been for almost 10 years yes...
No supervisor in my center has had to wait longer than a month after graduating.

Why do you think that's not the case?

YourBoss

What does it even matter anyway? I can't think of a better job while getting my degree. Beats the hell out of being a teamster for sure.

UPS isn't the end all be all. In the 0% chance I don't get promoted there, i'll take my degree elsewhere, get a job that's just as good of not better and still make more than a teamster + a job that doesn't suck everyday.

You should have stayed in school bud.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
In the case that an hourly has been at UPS for over 4 years, is there any reason to become a PT supervisor in your opinion? As someone who is a veteran PTmer I have generally advised those who have been with the company for over 4 years that it's not worth it. For those who have worked at UPS for less than 4 years, becoming a supervisor is a significant bump in pay. But once beyond the PT progression (4 years), the hourly worker's pay raises vastly outgrow that of the supervisor pay/hour over time since the hourly's annual raises are double to triple that of a PT supervisor. What are your thoughts?
I think this question is better suited for a Teamster who is making good money, than the lowest on the food chain,a PT supervisor.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
When I first started at UPS, two of the nicest, most positive and helpful people I met were PT or FT supervisors. One man (FT coord) and one woman (running a belt). Both had been with the company over 10 years.

Within two years, the woman quit with no notice because of the work environment; and the man took his life.

Needless to say, that would steer one away from UPS management.

UPS Lifer

Checking out some of the posts here really tells me a lot about your screen personalities. I was a teamster for 7 years of my career, 2 as a loader and almost 6 as a driver. I have found over the course of my career that EVERY Teamster employee (as well as all other employees) but I single out Teamsters because I would hear it all the time. All you want is to be treated with respect. Yet the first thing many of the posters here do is put down the part time supervisor. I think that "Your Boss" was well intentioned by trying to answer questions from employees who may not want to go up to their supervisor to ask a question.

Of course I don't get the quote at the bottom "My way or the highway"??? That speaks to everything that is against what a well intentioned supervisor would be about.
Even if it is meant as a joke.... it is like rubbing salt in the wound.

UPS Lifer

I never could understand, right to work state, why would you give up a union.

In RTW states - you don't have to pay union dues (don't have to join a union) BUT, the union MUST represent you.

BTW "Your Boss", I don't know what your full timer told you, but just because you get a degree does not mean you will get to go full time. This is one of the biggest problems that UPS full-time supervisors and managers have when they hire part-time supervisors. They dangle the carrot. As far as I am concerned, you have to earn the chance to be promoted to a driver or a full-time supervisor. I always tried to steer a part timer into driving before ever promoting them to full time supervisor. You will be much better off in the long run.

Before I hired any supervisor, I had an expectations talk with them and explained exactly what they were in for and what I expected in return. I never made a promise I could not keep. I don't know how you can expect people to work for you if you lie to them. They will figure it out fast.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Checking out some of the posts here really tells me a lot about your screen personalities. I was a teamster for 7 years of my career, 2 as a loader and almost 6 as a driver. I have found over the course of my career that EVERY Teamster employee (as well as all other employees) but I single out Teamsters because I would hear it all the time. All you want is to be treated with respect. Yet the first thing many of the posters here do is put down the part time supervisor. I think that "Your Boss" was well intentioned by trying to answer questions from employees who may not want to go up to their supervisor to ask a question.

Of course I don't get the quote at the bottom "My way or the highway"??? That speaks to everything that is against what a well intentioned supervisor would be about.
Even if it is meant as a joke.... it is like rubbing salt in the wound.

Yes he's being a good sport and seems like a decent guy. Props to putting himself up there as a pinata and letting everyone take a swing.

UPSGUY72

I doubt you know much about my job. I know you know nothing about my credentials. Also you sound bitter. Probably because you are dissapointed with the route you took in your life. Don't blame me my friend, I'm not the enemy.

I don't care about your "credentials" mine look better on paper than yours. I'm probably old enough to be your father. When you where still in Diapers and sucking your thumb. I already graduated U.S. Army warrant officer candidate School and U.S. Army Flight School and was flying a AH-1F cnite Cobra. ah1f-006.jpg I'm licensed commercial helicopter pilot. I also have a BS degree in Human factors and Psychology. I work at UPS because I make more money working for UPS than I would in my field of study I also get free health insurance a pension and and 401K.

I'm not bitter I like my job at UPS. It allows me to spoil my children rotten.

You got it wrong you are the enemy. My friends are in the union those that cross the line to the other side can't be trusted and should be trusted...

You have 24 post nobody cares what you think about thread hyjacking your still wet behind the ears and I don't mean at UPS or on BC.
ah1f-006.jpg

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Actually I really do appreciate my feeder guys. They've helped me out tons before. From what you describe we do things a little different at my building. We have a board where we put the seal controls and Yall just come in and sign off on them and pull your copy. I do seal the trailers but some of the feeder drivers seal there own which I dont
mind and even appreciate.

Yes everywhere is a bit different, I was hoping maybe someone from AZ would read that. Here we seal the trailers, or you can have the guard do it, and it's because we have to verify the load & check for any hazmats. It's really asking for trouble the way some places run the seal control. Most of the p/t sups I deal with are respectful, maybe because I'm at least twice their age; but every once in a while you get a Cowboy who finds out real fast how much a Feeder driver can friend him over (that hazmat thing- rehandles are a bitch).

A few nights ago the p/t sup handed me the wrong paperwork three times. Last night it had nothing but the trailer number on it. *sigh*

Floridacargocat

The response of a PT sup reveals at least one thing to provide an honest answer to an immediate question with the understanding, that if necessary, follow-ups are made to give a satisfactory answer to the extent the PT SUP has access to.
This is part of the responsibilities of a PT sup to maintain credibility as well as respect. Ethic standards within UPS, despite all the claims, seem to vary to a great extent. On a personal level, I have always maintained that if you can convince the lowest of your subordinates of your integrity (and that takes a lot sometimes) will be returned in a positive way. I twill take a lot of time, as the interests of PT Sups and hourlies are not always on the same track.
Throughout my entire professional life (and that includes years outside UPS), people will respond to your response in case questions are asked and you do not have an immediate answer.
I have been blessed to be exposed to situations outside my UPS experience, which very few people have. And I draw my conclusions from it and convey them to personnel at least willing to listen. What they do with this information, I cannot influence anymore.

YourBoss

Yes everywhere is a bit different, I was hoping maybe someone from AZ would read that. Here we seal the trailers, or you can have the guard do it, and it's because we have to verify the load & check for any hazmats. It's really asking for trouble the way some places run the seal control. Most of the p/t sups I deal with are respectful, maybe because I'm at least twice their age; but every once in a while you get a Cowboy who finds out real fast how much a Feeder driver can friend him over (that hazmat thing- rehandles are a bitch).

A few nights ago the p/t sup handed me the wrong paperwork three times. Last night it had nothing but the trailer number on it. *sigh*

I put a copy of the hazmat stuff in the trailer. I also give a copy to the driver usually personally. I screw seals up all the time.. writing so many of those damn things everyday gets to you. Luckly I (mostly) have a good group of guys

YourBoss

Gosh some people are so angry. I'm not sure why. Just know you're not going to get to me. I deal with people like that everyday. The same people give UPS and teamsters both a bad name.

The rest of you are nice, which is cool because honestly I expected you all to be jackasses. Turns out only about 80% are the koolaid drinkers. I was really looking forward to helping out new pt package handlers, or long timers interested in a new perspective on things.

The fact you are trying to get a rise out of me on a message board (and doing terrible at it) speaks volumes. Keep trying, it's funny.

The people telling me I will never be promoted are funny too. See my previous post on that for my response.

But please keep the questions and comedy coming.

Last edited:
This is a good question. Really it depends on who it is. For intance my center manager I have no problem saying he is full of it. Everyone knows this so it shouldn't come as a surprise. Management lie all the time in companies not just at UPS. Now whether UPS has more than others.. I don't know so I couldn't answer truthfully.... Haha see what I did there?

Personally I don't have any reason to lie to my guys. I'd rather tell them outright what's going to happen so they can prepare for it I guess. I can't think of a situation where it would benefit me to lie really, although honestly I'm probably have been guilty of it at some point in my career intentional or not.
You seem like a good sport. My advice to you is to talk your management team into letting you go driving. Once you qualify don't look back and stay a driver.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Legit question. My loader was on vacation this week. My rear stops come out in a certain order, not a jumbled mess. Why can't the preload Supe inform the replacement loader as to the order of how my stops are delivered? Nothing like climbing or digging for 10 minutes at my first stop.

YourBoss

Legit question. My loader was on vacation this week. My rear stops come out in a certain order, not a jumbled mess. Why can't the preload Supe inform the replacement loader as to the order of how my stops are delivered? Nothing like climbing or digging for 10 minutes at my first stop.

I understand why that would be frustrating.
Let me start by saying I don't have a lot of experience on preload.

Maybe it was an employee that doesn't load cars much. Maybe his supervisor didn't teach him how. Maybe he did, but the snarky teamster failed to follow instructions/methods. Maybe the supe didn't hold him accountable. Maybe I have no idea.

I wasn't much help on that one <_<

UnconTROLLed

perfection
But please keep the questions and comedy coming.
I don't see you here in good faith...you (so far) seem to have zero incentive to actually learn something/anything or have any actual dialogue that does not revolve around your inferior supervisor role., the whole premise is to pad your ego as some sort of "authority". I guess it's comedy, and funny...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Does your regular loader "custom load" and did the replacement loader follow the PAL labels?