Atlanta - I-85 collapses

Star B

White Lightening
Two things:
1) The 3.1 million on-time bonus.
2) I'm sure the massive pile of cash that was thrown at anyone who submitted a bid that seemed plausible.

Even the government would work fast if there was a huge carrot at the end of it. See the Gerrymandering, Obamacares passing, Voter ID laws, and Trumps Travel Ban version... 5?

I'm not going to go into the specifics... just pointing out that it can move fast when it wants to.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Sometimes government can move fast ... when they turn it over to private business.
What was projected to take 6 months was completely finished in 6 weeks.
They worked 24/7 - 3 shifts per day.
Traffic is now flowing across the new elevated roadway.

ATLANTA TRAFFIC: I-85 NB could reopen as soon as tonight, contractor says
By hitting the May 15 target date, C.W. Matthews will collect $3.1 million in incentives
When they put incentives and penalties in the contract they will always finish on time.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I was amazed that it was fixed so fast. It would have been a lot worse if a section of I-285 collapsed because of all the truck traffic that has to go around Atlanta.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Projected finish was June 15th. I assume these aren't union workers building this bridge. Working fast to make a bonus isn't the union way.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The contracting company made the bonus, not the workers. CW Mathews does most of the major road construction projects around Atlanta. It took a couple of years to replace a bridge over the interstate near my house recently. They worked nonstop around the clock to get I-85 re-opened.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The contracting company made the bonus, not the workers. CW Mathews does most of the major road construction projects around Atlanta. It took a couple of years to replace a bridge over the interstate near my house recently. They worked nonstop around the clock to get I-85 re-opened.
The head of the construction company said the 3 million will be shared with the workers.

oldngray

nowhere special
Usually the contractor has a set date for completion and will screw around until the last minute then scurry around to complete on time. If there is a bonus for completing early its amazing how much faster things get done.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Usually the contractor has a set date for completion and will screw around until the last minute then scurry around to complete on time. If there is a bonus for completing early its amazing how much faster things get done.

This is not true.

Must, if not all, such contracts have performance incentive bonuses.