Average time it takes to become full time?

Box_loads

I’ve been loading trucks for almost 2 years now and was wondering how long it would take approximately to either A) become a package car driver or B) work inside the warehouse full time?

I’ve been loading trucks for almost 2 years now and was wondering how long it would take approximately to either A) become a package car driver or B) work inside the warehouse full time?
A ) nobody can give you the answer, every area is different
B) "IF" Your building has full time inside jobs they are usually taken by someone with lots of seniority

allahuakbar

She/Her
I started as a driver. This is a question you gotta ask people in your building. Some locations hire off the street and some have a list a mile long.

Box_loads

As a loader who is my best resource for this information? I’ve seen the bid sheets and they are 2-3 pages long I believe. Obviously not my supervisor, but would HR be able to give me this information?

Rack em

Made the Podium
I've seen it take 5+ years and then I've seen people preload for 2 weeks and get to go driving. All depends on the current needs of the company.

Box_loads

Hence why I’m here right? ^ Thanks to everyone who stated what they have seen/experienced. I’ve pretty much accepted that it would take a minimum of 3 years to advance from part time the second I got there and heard stories from others.

MattM

Full time is subjective

Are we talking cover driver? 22.4? Or a full time legit driver?

Also, many hubs or package service centers do not offer full time hours.

Some hubs do offer split shifts for what amounts to 8 hours (all inside non driving work).

Anyways. My area had a drive wait list of 5 years just three years back. But ever since then, some new guys have started and went to drive within 2 months. I want to say they're combo guys and their first 3-4 months were brutal, sometimes not even driving for weeks. Many still don't have their own routes. They may be set to be 22.4s for life. I don't know

Each area differs. Just a city south of my metro, they take off the street hires and turn them into legit drivers within days (the driving test, driving school, physical part all take longer).

Bottom line, there is no easy answer.

Split shift bids rarely go up. For my area, it's easier to get the 22.4 ft hours than trying to stay inside and wrangling yourself a 40 hour week.

Package Stick

"Send it."
We just added 5 off the street feeders. One of them was bitching to me how he has to unload, despite being fulltime at the ripe age of 22. I wish I could slap him so :censored2:ing hard.

Bro, you have no idea how long people had to do this :censored2: just to get a shot at feeders.