avoidable accidents getting fired?

Inthegame

When I say any accident in a ups truck is your fault , I was sayin management will always blame you , do you take no you fight but they will blame you for every accident

I was in a hit and run my center manager ask me how could I avoid it , I told him not come to work that day , send me back in the UPS time machine 5 min before or after or tell the guy who hit me not to drive that day he looked at me with a stink eye and told me to get out
Nice.

W

want to retire

Perhaps a different approach should be considered, ask if you can join the safety committee. I know I'll likely get slammed by a few by even suggesting it, but now is the time to show your commitment to becoming a safer driver. I've been a steward for a long time and have given this advise to many that have had a string of incidents, and all have cleaned up their records and continued to be employed at UPS. In fact our current safety co-chair went all the way to state panel a few years ago due to accidents. Showing a reasonable effort to fix the problem goes a long way at times like these, now is the time to do it.

Our safety committee was disbanded due to the Unions objections of Teamsters hurting other Teamsters. I believe this is a tragedy in the making. We now have no way to file any kind of safety concern. In the past at least there was a written record. Now, you just tell a Sup. and you can imagine how little if anything gets done. I also believe the Safety Committee was just a overtime maker for the few that attended. And, the members were absolutely the worst drivers (safety record wise) in the department. And, their records and injuries don't improve. And, the Safety Committee agenda put forth by the Company was so controlled and scripted that any real and meaningful change never occured. I always tried to include a real comment on my safety concerns for posterity. Like: someone is going to get hurt or die or something like that. Some of the things I tried to change in the real world were running stop signs on property, speeding on property such as mechanics testing vehicles going 50-60 mph while running stop signs for example. Stupid, dangerous things which go on unabated. Stupid, dangerous.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
It is interesting how some seem to get away just about anything and yet one of our guys gets hit by a drunk driver(running a red light)! broadside in an intersection and it was determined that our guy should have avoided it based on where the point of impact was. Amazing.

If you're left, right, lefting and counting 1,2,3 you can't get hit by an idiot running a red light. Just sayin...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Our safety committee was disbanded due to the Unions objections of Teamsters hurting other Teamsters. I believe this is a tragedy in the making. We now have no way to file any kind of safety concern. In the past at least there was a written record. Now, you just tell a Sup. and you can imagine how little if anything gets done. I also believe the Safety Committee was just a overtime maker for the few that attended. And, the members were absolutely the worst drivers (safety record wise) in the department. And, their records and injuries don't improve. And, the Safety Committee agenda put forth by the Company was so controlled and scripted that any real and meaningful change never occured. I always tried to include a real comment on my safety concerns for posterity. Like: someone is going to get hurt or die or something like that. Some of the things I tried to change in the real world were running stop signs on property, speeding on property such as mechanics testing vehicles going 50-60 mph while running stop signs for example. Stupid, dangerous things which go on unabated. Stupid, dangerous.

I am of the opinion that the union should disband all "safety committees".... for the very reasons you cite. Or, at the very least, the committees should be renamed as "keter audit committees" or "acronym regurgitation committees" which would be a much more honest description of what they actually are. How does it benefit the employees to be represented by make-believe safety committees that are completely under the control of the company?

W

want to retire

I am of the opinion that the union should disband all "safety committees".... for the very reasons you cite. Or, at the very least, the committees should be renamed as "keter audit committees" or "acronym regurgitation committees" which would be a much more honest description of what they actually are. How does it benefit the employees to be represented by make-believe safety committees that are completely under the control of the company?

I agree completely. However, any mechanism for meaningful change is gone. This creates an atmosphere of neglect which endangers even you. This is very short-sighted. Even in the light of tragedy.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I agree completely. However, any mechanism for meaningful change is gone. This creates an atmosphere of neglect which endangers even you. This is very short-sighted. Even in the light of tragedy.

The "safety committees" were never a mechanism for meaningful change in the first place. Perpetuating them is what creates the atmosphere of neglect, because their existence allows the company to pretend that it cares about safety without ever having to be held accountable for anything. If you want meaningful change.... utilize the grievance procedure. If you want word games, acronyms and doughnuts...go to a "safety committee" meeting.

brownelf

Perhaps a different approach should be considered, ask if you can join the safety committee. I know I'll likely get slammed by a few by even suggesting it, but now is the time to show your commitment to becoming a safer driver. I've been a steward for a long time and have given this advise to many that have had a string of incidents, and all have cleaned up their records and continued to be employed at UPS. In fact our current safety co-chair went all the way to state panel a few years ago due to accidents. Showing a reasonable effort to fix the problem goes a long way at times like these, now is the time to do it.

in my original post above I was refering to the OP concerns for keeping his job, bitch all you want about the safety committees being controlled by the company and useless in your centers I don't really care. But making an effort to fix the problem will help you if it gets to the discipline stage regardless of what little it means to any of you. My job as steward has always been one as a mediator to help those who would prefer to keep their jobs, if I can go into a hearing with an employee who can show an effort (real or otherwise) to fix the problem it helps at the hearing stage. Doing nothing but filing a grievance, which I always recommend whenever you receive a warning letter, is not going to show a willingness to fix the problem. In our center all accidents are reviewed by the safety committee (yes, I'm a member for this very reason) and many times after review they have been changed from at fault to not at fault. By no means to we get them all changed but at least it's not a rubber stamp at fault as it seems to be in many areas. My life at UPS is not all rainbows and lolipops by any means and I can't wait to get out myself. I'm tired of all the BS, my body hurts from the long hrs and the whining of those who refuse to file greivances on problems they want fixed without doing so. At one time this forum was an place to get answers and opinions on issues at UPS, now its become just a way for many to socialize and ridicule those whose opinions are not their own. JMO

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I seen someone charged with a avoidable accident when he wasn’t even in the pgk car, a pedestrian walk into the side of his pkg car when it was parked and called in a complaint say the pkg car was blocking his path to the street, He was charged with a tier 3 accident “Hit pedestrian” . He filed a grievance, the Union said they can charge you with what ever they want as long as they don't discipline you there is nothing they can do, besides putting the grievance on record and told him all you are losing was a cheap cardboard award and next time they give you one throw it the trash.

I keep all my years of service awards in my office and display them !!! My safety awards are placed outside by the firepit, right next to my Duraflame logs !! :) Funny, but true !

W

want to retire

The "safety committees" were never a mechanism for meaningful change in the first place. Perpetuating them is what creates the atmosphere of neglect, because their existence allows the company to pretend that it cares about safety without ever having to be held accountable for anything. If you want meaningful change.... utilize the grievance procedure. If you want word games, acronyms and doughnuts...go to a "safety committee" meeting.

I understand the cynicism. I can't disagree except: you are wrong about the accountability in the end. That little safety concern logbook holds all the skeletons. Or at least did. Yes, Mgt. can show you another agenda that is the dog and pony show. We have to try. However, the grievance procedure is as worthless as the Safety Comm. Our BA's wouldn't know what to do with a safety grievance. They just want to line their pockets. I know that continuing to hammer away and even embarrass Mgt. can be effective even though I desperately wish there was some other way. BTW-what article would you file under?

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
I keep all my years of service awards in my office and display them !!! My safety awards are placed outside by the firepit, right next to my Duraflame logs !! :) Funny, but true !

What are Years of service awards? 17 yrs of service haven't receive one yet, maybe I will get for 20 yrs but I won't hold my breath.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
You are in the very small minority. Most people I see that get one at PCM throw them away on the way to their truck. The few that do keep them are afraid of making bad face with management.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Years of service are given in 5 and 10 year increments !!! You used to get an award and a catalog to order a gift. The new UPS gives you the award but no extra honor. If you survive the years and get something than be appreciative.

BUT, I am expected to be be safe through the years and the HORROR stories I see to hide accidents, damages, poor management keeps me from celebrating a personal victory on the merit of a safety award !!!

OptimusPrime

Years of service are given in 5 and 10 year increments !!! You used to get an award and a catalog to order a gift. The new UPS gives you the award but no extra honor. If you survive the years and get something than be appreciative.

BUT, I am expected to be be safe through the years and the HORROR stories I see to hide accidents, damages, poor management keeps me from celebrating a personal victory on the merit of a safety award !!!

For ten years in the hub I got a ink jet printed piece of paper inside a cardboard frame. Why would you frickin' even bother handing that out?

Driveslayer

I was charged with a avoidable accident when a car backed into to me at a fast pace. Law enforcement charge him 100% at fault. I suffered neck injuries and eventually settled for a 5 figure settlement in lawsuit against driver of car that hit me. Ups received $8,000.00 for repairs on package car from his insurance company. My settlement check was overnighted to me via UPS and I proudly displayed check to management. AND this was all my fault. If someone hits you and you feel any pain immediately call 911.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I am a new full time driver been full time a little under a year 6 years as a package handler before that got into an accident in Jan when some guy backed out of his drive into my truck as I was coming down the street it was thought by my center manager to be unavoidable but came back as avoidable somehow then a few weeks ago a lady rear ended me ad I made a stop she told them she was day dreaming and wasn't paying attention! Still got marked as avoidable seriously they said I should have been watching her to made sure she stopped but she wad pretty far back and I was parked and out of mt seat before she hit me sow now that's two avoidables in 5 months so if I get in one more 3 in twelve months I get fired right? Just doesn't seem right I have always been a safe driver and a hard worker this is stressing me out I haven't been written any warning letters I thought they had to write you warning letters to fire you? Will I be fired at three? If I do will I be able to get my job back? These are the questions that keep me up at night if anybody has any helpful info it would be appreciated

I did scan steering wheels I saw him in the truck and honked at him several times he was stopped in the driveway then as it was too late just started pulling out he was oblivious almost hit my center manager when he got there as for the second one I was parked perfectly flashers on they said I didn't stop smooth enough and should have been paying more attention to her to make sure she was going to stop

After reading these 2 posts, why did you not just stop if you saw this person backing out of the driveway. You tapped the horn and he did not hear or see you once again why did you not stop? I am going to say, you assumed he was not going to move and you went to pass by the driveway. He on the other hand did not see you and continued to do what he does everyday, back out into the street because there is no one ever behind him.

This is the safety tip; Tap your horn, make eye to eye contact, make sure they see you. You only did one of these things.

Driveslayer

I also took copy of police report, ups warning letter, My Ups denied grievance letter and copy of settlement check and put in nice large frame and proudly hang on my wall in my house. Awesome conversation piece.