Back to cutting routes on Mondays

Pkgcar1988

Saw on the white board for Monday have a hand full of routes that are being cut. Seems a little premature to me, but what do I know. Is the same happening in your bldg???

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
From Tuesday onward last week, yes. And we used helpers all week; our local signed an agreement (in 2008) recognizing that peak continued through the second full week of January and allowed UPS to use helpers provided no routes were cut and all FT drivers were working. The company abuses the agreement by soliciting time off from high-seniority drivers, effectively challenging members to file a grievance that will tick off their fellow union brothers. Just as the agreement overrides the CS supplement in mandating that the Company must use inside (union) helpers, regardless of hours worked, before using seasonals... yet I did not help this past week, as the driver I worked with during peak was on vacation and his replacement had his outside helper. I was told there was no work available for me as drivers had their preferred seasonal helpers. Again, if I were to file, it's UPS purposely pitting fellow IBT members against each other. Smart.

Pkgcar1988

Yeah, with the added stops I will get off the car being cut in my loop plus the bonus feature of Orion, should be a nice long day.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
From Tuesday onward last week, yes. And we used helpers all week; our local signed an agreement (in 2008) recognizing that peak continued through the second full week of January and allowed UPS to use helpers provided no routes were cut and all FT drivers were working. The company abuses the agreement by soliciting time off from high-seniority drivers, effectively challenging members to file a grievance that will tick off their fellow union brothers. Just as the agreement overrides the CS supplement in mandating that the Company must use inside (union) helpers, regardless of hours worked, before using seasonals... yet I did not help this past week, as the driver I worked with during peak was on vacation and his replacement had his outside helper. I was told there was no work available for me as drivers had their preferred seasonal helpers. Again, if I were to file, it's UPS purposely pitting fellow IBT members against each other. Smart.

Yes some days we have to fight the union as much as UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Preferred seasonal helpers?

You need to file for the hours worked by one of the preferred seasonal helpers.

icu

for who you are !
If they laid off 5 drivers and worked helpers at all, then five drivers should file. They should get the monies or the appropriate TCD should get monies and credit for a report and a qualified day. In my center I get the drivers to file, that way the company doesn't harass the TCD that may not be qualified.

Marne Vet

They only cut routes on Mondays in your center?

Nope. They've cut trips completely because guys on nearby trips were runners, so they just got rid of a few trips and buried the runners. Now those same runners cry every day about getting blown-out. When you run, you get screwed, and in the process you screw drivers around you.

bumped

If they laid off 5 drivers and worked helpers at all, then five drivers should file. They should get the monies or the appropriate TCD should get monies and credit for a report and a qualified day. In my center I get the drivers to file, that way the company doesn't harass the TCD that may not be qualified.

They don't lay off the drivers. They ask if anyone wants off, especially the 8 hour request drivers. Most of the drivers are happy to take the day off unscheduled.

icu

for who you are !
They don't lay off the drivers. They ask if anyone wants off, especially the 8 hour request drivers. Most of the drivers are happy to take the day off unscheduled.

Voluntary layoff or not, you don't work seasonal helpers and send drivers home and not work TCDs. Especially when the company is already getting the positives of the new contract without it being ratified.

Ouch

You should still file. Ticked off union or not. Don't take money out of my pocket to uphold an extra contractual agreement.