22.4 Double Shifting

GodlikeRage

Just want to know my rights as a 22.4 combination driver and that I'm understanding the current UPS National Master Contract Article 22 Section 4b and all that apply for potential grievances. I am located in the southern supplemental region. We've been told volume has been down in our hub and all 22.4s have been told to report to preload and local sort "to get our 8 hours". I have no problem working the warehouse, I'll retain my drivers pay rate for everything I do, but I want my 8 hours on one sort, one shift.

I live 45 minutes away from the hub and to drive there at 3 am and leave at 9 to come back again at 4 pm and leave again at 9 just to come back again early in the morning is ridiculous. I've never even done preload, came from local sort so I am definitely not used to waking up that early. The company shall be entitled to establish up to a one-and-one-half hour (1.5) gap between jobs in a workday. Preload ends at 9 am and local sort starts at 4, that is 7 hours in between shifts. The contract also states we are guaranteed 8 straight consecutive hours, any "Lay off" language pretty much will never apply to us as we are a combination position and until every single part timer in that building is laid off first or work in the warehouse slows down to a point where there's not even enough work for RPCD's and some of those guys start taking the work. This language supersedes any supplement, Rider, or Addendum on the same subject.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    178.2 KB · Views: 47
Just want to know my rights as a 22.4 combination driver and that I'm understanding the current UPS National Master Contract Article 22 Section 4b and all that apply for potential grievances. I am located in the southern supplemental region. We've been told volume has been down in our hub and all 22.4s have been told to report to preload and local sort "to get our 8 hours". I have no problem working the warehouse, I'll retain my drivers pay rate for everything I do, but I want my 8 hours on one sort, one shift.

I live 45 minutes away from the hub and to drive there at 3 am and leave at 9 to come back again at 4 pm and leave again at 9 just to come back again early in the morning is ridiculous. I've never even done preload, came from local sort so I am definitely not used to waking up that early. The company shall be entitled to establish up to a one-and-one-half hour (1.5) gap between jobs in a workday. Preload ends at 9 am and local sort starts at 4, that is 7 hours in between shifts. The contract also states we are guaranteed 8 straight consecutive hours, any "Lay off" language pretty much will never apply to us as we are a combination position and until every single part timer in that building is laid off first or work in the warehouse slows down to a point where there's not even enough work for RPCD's and some of those guys start taking the work. This language supersedes any supplement, Rider, or Addendum on the same subject.
Shove that 22.4 language back on there face

GodlikeRage

Can he collect unemployment if he refuses work?
I’m not refusing to work but the contract clearly states I’m guaranteed 8 consecutive hours, if they don’t find me work that is a grievance to pay me out the rest of the time. There’s nothing in my supplemental or national contract that says I have to split shifts. That’s not ideal at all, no other classification does that afaik and I still drive on Saturday? Lol. I will show up to twilight shift on Tuesday at 2pm and expect to clock out at 10 pm.

Last edited: