22.4 Double Shifting

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
There’s gonna be a lot of upset people if the new contract gets rid of the 22.4 position and they get laid off and realize they’re going to lose money working in the building.
I seriously won't be upset.

Volume already picked up significantly this week, only a couple of drivers for slack, last year the company was more than happy to offer a couple of dead days. That's fuel hot enough to sizzle a few parking lot steaks.

GodlikeRage

Depends, if ups gets sundays
All 22.4 will be converted to RPCD. The union will not settle to just throw them back in the building especially when the top rate 22.4’s make 2x what a part time preloader makes. If they get pushed back into the building they should make overtime rate after 5 hours.

Staydryitsraining

There’s gonna be a lot of upset people if the new contract gets rid of the 22.4 position and they get laid off and realize they’re going to lose money working in the building.

All 22.4 will be converted to RPCD. The union will not settle to just throw them back in the building especially when the top rate 22.4’s make 2x what a part time preloader makes. If they get pushed back into the building they should make overtime rate after 5 hours.
To my knowledge the company can't kill a rpcd job. They can lay them off. No chance they would allow all that 22.4 dues money to vanish. I too believe they will just be converted. There is also more and more ups stores that are open on Sundays. I think the company is ramping it up.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Just want to know my rights as a 22.4 combination driver and that I'm understanding the current UPS National Master Contract Article 22 Section 4b and all that apply for potential grievances. I am located in the southern supplemental region. We've been told volume has been down in our hub and all 22.4s have been told to report to preload and local sort "to get our 8 hours". I have no problem working the warehouse, I'll retain my drivers pay rate for everything I do, but I want my 8 hours on one sort, one shift.

I live 45 minutes away from the hub and to drive there at 3 am and leave at 9 to come back again at 4 pm and leave again at 9 just to come back again early in the morning is ridiculous. I've never even done preload, came from local sort so I am definitely not used to waking up that early. The company shall be entitled to establish up to a one-and-one-half hour (1.5) gap between jobs in a workday. Preload ends at 9 am and local sort starts at 4, that is 7 hours in between shifts. The contract also states we are guaranteed 8 straight consecutive hours, any "Lay off" language pretty much will never apply to us as we are a combination position and until every single part timer in that building is laid off first or work in the warehouse slows down to a point where there's not even enough work for RPCD's and some of those guys start taking the work. This language supersedes any supplement, Rider, or Addendum on the same subject.

Sorry brah Hoffa sold you down the road on that one

Thebrownblob

I thought the same thing in 1982. How many red circle PT are left in the company?
Totally different the company went with a part-time workforce, hoping it would attract college kids. It has worked in some ways and not in others. The likelihood of 22.4 being in the contract after August 1 is extremely low.

PT Car Washer

Totally different the company went with a part-time workforce, hoping it would attract college kids. It has worked in some ways and not in others. The likelihood of 22.4 being in the contract after August 1 is extremely low.
In 1982 PT Union members were a minority. The company saw the opportunity to use low wage PT members as a way to subsidize higher wage FT members.

Thebrownblob

I hear a lot of campaign promises. How many Union members are willing to give up their higher wages to help out a bunch of new guys?
I don’t know it doesn’t seem like many vote at all. But you won’t have to worry about it because a sell out contract will not be offered up for a vote.