Bad Accident

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Last night we had a mechanic killed while working on a Feeder broke down along I-285 outside of Atlanta. He was under a tractor replacing a broken air line when another tractor-trailor plowed into the back of the vehicle after its driver apparently fell asleep at the wheel. This set off a chain reaction involving several vehicles. The Feeder Driver saved himself by jumping over the guardrail.

My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. I didn't know him personally, he worked out of a different Hub than me. Its very dangerous out on the roads we work on, I hope that all of you reading this be careful out there. One of our guys went to work last night, and didn't make it home to his family today.

http://www.11alive.com/video/player.aspx?aid=53694&sid=80698&bw=&cid=si

Ms Spoken

I'm so sorry to read about this accident. My heart goes out to his family. I try to stay off the interstate while in the brown truck. Accidents happen so fast and it just seams that being on the interstate it's hard to keep a safe distance from the car/trucker in front of you with out having to drive 45 mph.

ja4079

ja4079
Ooh how very sad, this is why we all need to be so thankful for the good life that we really do have. Prayers go out to all involved in this awful accident.

over9five

Staff member
On Teamsternet, they're talking about somehow donating to the mechanics family. If anyone knows a local bank that will set up something in the families name...

wkmac

Over9Five,
UPS has already help setup a trust fund for the family as the details were released yesterday. My supervisor PCM'd us on the verbal details yesterday and he said today he'll have printed our specific detalis for all of us in a handout. I'll post the info when I get home from work tonight.

I've seen pictures of the wreck and talked last night with a feeder driver who has been friend's with Randy for nearly 20 years and also his nearby neighbor who gave me more details. There are no words to describe this.

W

who me

scratch_king said:
Last night we had a mechanic killed while working on a Feeder broke down along I-285 outside of Atlanta. He was under a tractor replacing a broken air line when another tractor-trailor plowed into the back of the vehicle after its driver apparently fell asleep at the wheel. This set off a chain reaction involving several vehicles. The Feeder Driver saved himself by jumping over the guardrail.

My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. I didn't know him personally, he worked out of a different Hub than me. Its very dangerous out on the roads we work on, I hope that all of you reading this be careful out there. One of our guys went to work last night, and didn't make it home to his family today.

http://www.11alive.com/video/player.aspx?aid=53694&sid=80698&bw=&cid=si
That is a bummer big time and I feel for his family,but to be honest with you what was he doing working on a truck on the side of the road for??? You can't get our mechanics to work on something outside of the UPS facility period!! If it's not a quick fix by you with help over the phone,call your sup they send another truck,transfer package's,continue working while they send a wrecker to get the truck.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The mechanic's name is Randy Carnes of Winston Ga. He was 47 years old, married with two children. A Trust Fund has been set up to help his family. I hope everyone will pitch in to help.

REGIONS BANK OF DOUGLASVILLE
5871 Fairburn Rd.
Douglasville, Ga. 30134

The Kelly, Amanda and Dylan Account
{deleted by moderator at scratch_king's request}

ade34

ade34
From the U.K.

My thoughts go out to Randy's family and all his co-workers.

If you good people don't mind I will use this as a PCM topic in the Centre I work in.

God Bless

dillweed

This is just heartbreaking. I imagine he was trying his best to get that truck up and running, if even long enough to get it back to the hub.

Thanks for letting us know about this and for whatever good it is, prayers will be sent to his family. May he rest in peace and may his family heal in faith and love.

maybrown

is not a woman
Wrong thing to do on highway! At my center they just call towed trucks! Mechanics won't fix anything on busy highway. Sad new!

Pip

mmmm.... somebody pulled this up from the way back. Scratch originally posted this on 6/7/06. but it is worthy, far as a reminder of how fast things can change at any given moment.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
mmmm.... somebody pulled this up from the way back. Scratch originally posted this on 6/7/06. but it is worthy, far as a reminder of how fast things can change at any given moment.

Yes, this post is over a year old. The details were that the Feeder was pulled over on the shoulder in the Emergency Lane, not stopped on the interstate. The Mechanic drove a Package Car out to make the repair and it was parked behind the Feeder. The Package Car was shoved under the Trailer by the impact where Randy Carnes was replacing a brake line. The other freight line driver had fallen asleep and drifted over to the shoulder. This thread is a reminder that we need to be careful out there.