Bad apple or just overworked driver

Dfigtree

It's about 8:27 PM EST. My wife calls me rather frantic that she is in Manhattan on 88th street between Lex and 3rd and a UPS package car is blocking the road (at least her Volvo SUV could not get through). SUV's are too big for the room the driver is leaving. My wife asks him to move. He ignores her. She asks again. He grunts that there is enough room for him to get an SUV through. And, then he refuses to talk to my wife or acknowledge that their is a problem. She says will not call the police but will call 1-800-pick-ups and report the incident complete with car # and license and his name. Of course, he refuses to give his name. In his own good time (I'll get the report on how long, in the AM), the driver moves the package car.

This is not only an incident for me, but in general it is very bad PR. I know how great UPS drivers are in general. But, as you know, it takes a lifetime to land a customer and a second to lose one.

Is this driver a bad apple, overworked or both? Or, maybe, I should just ignore this incident and file it under the heading that **** happens.

Comments?

over9five

Staff member
8:27 PM????? Poor guy was just trying to get his last stop done so he could get home. Too late to see his kids, they're in bed. Quick bite, then to bed.

Then some soccer mom, late getting home from getting her nails done, starts bitchin at him to move. Is there ANYWHERE else he can park that P12? Nope. Hell, he'll only be there 90 seconds anyhow.

Sorry soccer mom, I'd let ya wait too.

Why in the world should he tell her his name? Did she tell him hers?

ImpactedTSG

If you've ever driven in New York, then you know you are bound to get boxed in from time to time. If it bothers her, then it's time to move out of the city. Also, maybe buy a smaller vehicle to get around the city a little easier.

browned out

DOT regs. If there is no alternative. Put your four ways on you can block the road for delivery. Most of the general public does not realize or understand the time constraints we have. We can't wait seconds let alone the give me a minute you get from some customers. She was probably on of those office types that you see standing by the time clock at 4:59 waiting for that 5:00 to click.

Channahon

It's about 8:27 PM EST. My wife calls me rather frantic that she is in Manhattan on 88th street between Lex and 3rd and a UPS package car is blocking the road (at least her Volvo SUV could not get through). SUV's are too big for the room the driver is leaving. My wife asks him to move. He ignores her. She asks again. He grunts that there is enough room for him to get an SUV through. And, then he refuses to talk to my wife or acknowledge that their is a problem. She says will not call the police but will call 1-800-pick-ups and report the incident complete with car # and license and his name. Of course, he refuses to give his name. In his own good time (I'll get the report on how long, in the AM), the driver moves the package car.

This is not only an incident for me, but in general it is very bad PR. I know how great UPS drivers are in general. But, as you know, it takes a lifetime to land a customer and a second to lose one.

Is this driver a bad apple, overworked or both? Or, maybe, I should just ignore this incident and file it under the heading that **** happens.

Comments?
Neither - same in any big city - majority of downtown area businesses are gone for the day at this time. Most drivers out at this hour are picking up letter centers, drop boxes and off to the airport to get the packages on the plane.
And NY has such a great transit system, I didn't think anyone drove a car on the upper east side

rod

Retired 22 years
You must be a friggin tourist if you've never had a truck block your way in Manhattan. Take your suv back to the suburbs

Griff

My wife calls me rather frantic that she is in Manhattan on 88th street between Lex and 3rd and a UPS package car is blocking the road (at least her Volvo SUV could not get through). SUV's are too big for the room the driver is leaving. My wife asks him to move. He ignores her. She asks again. He grunts that there is enough room for him to get an SUV through. And, then he refuses to talk to my wife or acknowledge that their is a problem. She says will not call the police but will call 1-800-pick-ups and report the incident complete with car # and license and his name. Of course, he refuses to give his name. In his own good time (I'll get the report on how long, in the AM), the driver moves the package car.

Comments?

Impossible Mission (to get out of the parking)

Sorry to hear about your wife losing a few minutes from her day. You should probably hire a lawyer immediately, it sounds like she may be emotionally traumatized from this horrific event. My deepest sympathies to you and yours.

govols019

You smell that?
I would have made her wait even longer, about the time it takes me to sit in the back of the truck and smoke a cigarette.

Dfigtree

I would have made her wait even longer, about the time it takes me to sit in the back of the truck and smoke a cigarette.
But then again, you're fooling with more than my wife. You're fooling with your life. Despite your post, please quit. I did.

canon

But then again, you're fooling with more than my wife. You're fooling with your life. Despite your post, please quit. I did.
Agreed, quit smoking.

Give your wife a hug and remind her of the 5 seeing habits. If that fails, you can go the route I did when my wife seemed stressed over "life". I bought her some Aroma Therapy dish soap... it's like a little mental vacation while she's scrubbing the pans. Didn't go over real well at the time, but we laugh about it now.

If she really feels this is such a monumental episode, then yes she should call. It *is* bad PR if you really want to split hairs in my opinion... I would have moved. But I would have also thought very poorly of the person who lacked the patience to wait a moment or two.

UPS will file that complaint with all the other "I'm too important to wait for your driver" complaints. I hope she rethinks it and maybe sees it not being quite so important as it seemed at the time.

tieguy

Banned
She's lucky it was a UPS driver and not the post office:thumbup1:

We do get into situations where we have to block the road. It does not sound like he tried to piss her off just trying to get the stop done so he can get out of the way.

R

rocketman

tell her to call the cops and tell her to to tell the cops shes blocked in in manhatten the cops need a good laugh to.

Ms Spoken

Agreed, quit smoking.

Give your wife a hug and remind her of the 5 seeing habits. If that fails, you can go the route I did when my wife seemed stressed over "life". I bought her some Aroma Therapy dish soap... it's like a little mental vacation while she's scrubbing the pans. Didn't go over real well at the time, but we laugh about it now.

Canon I need to know how long have you been married? To pull a stunt of "Aroma Therapy dish soap" that would have landed my husband outside with the dogs. But, I did get a good laugh out of the thought of it. You Rock but, dont give my husband any ideas.

Sammie

This UPS driver was out earning a living and providing a service, which includes lifting hundreds of lbs of packages in the course of a day and running his ass off. I'm sure he wasn't enjoying being out that late at night and your wife should have been more considerate. He was at that location not to upset your wife but because he needed to be. Some common sense, please.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
She's lucky it was a UPS driver and not the post office:thumbup1:

We do get into situations where we have to block the road. It does not sound like he tried to piss her off just trying to get the stop done so he can get out of the way.

My question is if she had tried to get through and couldnt make it, he was then "hit while parked", would the accident have been his fault? Ive had people tell me I'm in the way when I could have got a semi through.

disneyworld

Comments?
She didn't leave herself an out?

HazMatMan

My advice, buy a smaller vehicle... WOW a volvo suv, I feel really bad for you.. just like one poster wrote, GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!