Bad Moon Rising

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If I'm a corporate apologist for telling the truth about their inability to pay UPS similar wages and benefits then so be it. Better than being a liar who tries to whip up anger against them because he has an axe to grind.

If FedEx were efficiently managed, they could also afford union wages and benefits. Compare the productivity of the average UPS driver to today's Third World/Millennial Express courier....not even close.

When Federal Express existed, pay was always close to UPS, and revenues would have allowed Smith to easily afford a union.

bacha29

How many people do you employ, and how wealthy are you making them?

You’re just a sniping, back-biting loser.

Put up or shut up.
As I told you before on numerous occasions I was offered additional routes free of charge but when I looked at the rates they offered to carry those additional routes I turned them all down. As a matter of principle I simply refused to send people out on a daily basis in all kinds of weather to drag around the kind of freight you see on the other thread for the wages and lack of benefits many contractors are paying even to this day years later. There were contractors on job boards offering the same money they did 4 years ago.

I don't have a bit of pity for them because of their dumb assumption that they would always have people available who who would turn out the production and precision they needed from them for the kind of wages they had to offer.

Oh sure a few contractors here and there never run out but many other's found out the hard way that you can in fact run out of willing people long before you run out of boxes .....And this peak season was a prime example of it.

vantexan

If FedEx were efficiently managed, they could also afford union wages and benefits. Compare the productivity of the average UPS driver to today's Third World/Millennial Express courier....not even close.

When Federal Express existed, pay was always close to UPS, and revenues would have allowed Smith to easily afford a union.
Was close in upper payscales, not so close in the lower ones. The reason FedEx is more profitable today is due to their creating Ground, where freight is trucked. If the company was still as it was before Ground we'd still have a lot less profit and glacier movement on raises.

vantexan

And you can't prove that he can't despite record growth and a stock price that climbed accordingly.
Sure I can. Look at the total gross, how much is spent on payroll, how much profit is left over after everything is paid for. Even if they spent every bit of profit on the employees, which they never will, it won't come close to giving employees UPS comparable pay and benefits, especially in the timeframe UPS employees enjoy. The only reason they are paying more now is Ground is pretty much up and running and the higher profits generated by Ground allow them to pay Express better. And while they were building Ground infrastructure Express employees suffered with minimal raises and stripped down benefits. Newhires today don't really know the sacrifices made by their predecessors and FedEx never came through for us, just lied and lied to keep us at it. In spite of that it still doesn't change the fact that they can't pay as much as UPS as long as most freight is flown.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
As I told you before on numerous occasions I was offered additional routes free of charge but when I looked at the rates they offered to carry those additional routes I turned them all down. As a matter of principle I simply refused to send people out on a daily basis in all kinds of weather to drag around the kind of freight you see on the other thread for the wages and lack of benefits many contractors are paying even to this day years later. There were contractors on job boards offering the same money they did 4 years ago.

I don't have a bit of pity for them because of their dumb assumption that they would always have people available who who would turn out the production and precision they needed from them for the kind of wages they had to offer.

Oh sure a few contractors here and there never run out but many other's found out the hard way that you can in fact run out of willing people long before you run out of boxes .....And this peak season was a prime example of it.
But an experienced, seasoned businessman such as yourself doesn't need to work for someone else, you should be creating jobs with your savvy and acumen in any endeavor.

Right?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Sure I can. Look at the total gross, how much is spent on payroll, how much profit is left over after everything is paid for. Even if they spent every bit of profit on the employees, which they never will, it won't come close to giving employees UPS comparable pay and benefits, especially in the timeframe UPS employees enjoy. The only reason they are paying more now is Ground is pretty much up and running and the higher profits generated by Ground allow them to pay Express better. And while they were building Ground infrastructure Express employees suffered with minimal raises and stripped down benefits. Newhires today don't really know the sacrifices made by their predecessors and FedEx never came through for us, just lied and lied to keep us at it. In spite of that it still doesn't change the fact that they can't pay as much as UPS as long as most freight is flown.

You have a great track record as a businessman. Didn't you just say you were giving up your latest venture so you could go back overseas? And that the main reason you took the job was to pay-off a car loan? It was a great job, right? So, why, pray tell, are you leaving such a primo gig when you're making bank? Aren't you like married..sort of?

Hey, if I need some sound financial and retirement advice, YOU will be the first person I consult.

Probably not.

vantexan

You have a great track record as a businessman. Didn't you just say you were giving up your latest venture so you could go back overseas? And that the main reason you took the job was to pay-off a car loan? It was a great job, right? So, why, pray tell, are you leaving such a primo gig when you're making bank? Aren't you like married..sort of?

Hey, if I need some sound financial and retirement advice, YOU will be the first person I consult.

Probably not.
Actually I'm making my wife happy by staying here. I drove on the job to exhaustion, have to quit it. My diabetic neuropathy in my feet is another reason. Sometimes can't feel the pedals. But I digress. Rather than address the points I made you go on another personal attack. I hope FedEx does give employees as much as possible but don't hold your breath. And it's not a matter of defending them, it's a matter of simple math. You're simple, should appeal to you.

Last edited:

bacha29

But an experienced, seasoned businessman such as yourself doesn't need to work for someone else, you should be creating jobs with your savvy and acumen in any endeavor.

Right?
I knew enough to know that I can create better returns by putting the money into a portfolio of high quality stocks and ETF's and smartly bailed on Fat Freddy when I began to see his growing dependence on Ground for a disproportionate share of it's earnings.

bacha29

One of the results of being so cheap is that Fat Freddy is near the top in terms being the lowest cost operator. In fact i read something somewhere that he's the lowest cost carrier among the Big 3. Strange though given that he's struggling to preserve his earnings structure and his company's market capitalization has taken something like a 25 billion dollar hair cut.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I knew enough to know that I can create better returns by putting the money into a portfolio of high quality stocks and ETF's and smartly bailed on Fat Freddy when I began to see his growing dependence on Ground for a disproportionate share of it's earnings.
So Fred S is a scoundrel for accumulating wealth, but you’re a smart person.

You’re a hoot!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Actually I'm making my wife happy by staying here. I drove on the job to exhaustion, have to quit it. My diabetic neuropathy in my feet is another reason. Sometimes can't feel the pedals. But I digress. Rather than address the points I made you go on another personal attack. I hope FedEx does give employees as much as possible but don't hold your breath. And it's not a matter of defending them, it's a matter of simple math. You're simple, should appeal to you.

Then why aren't you out there being an entrepreneur like we all can be? You know, millionaires? I did address your point and said that today's Express couldn't afford a union, so we actually agree. The "old" Express could have afforded union wages because revenues were so strong.

Sorry about the neuropathy. My Dad has it and it sucks. You don't need to be driving any more. He couldn't feel his feet, and drove into another car. Ended up losing his license.

Hope yours is more treatable.

bacha29

So Fred S is a scoundrel for accumulating wealth, but you’re a smart person.

You’re a hoot!
I wasn't going to accumulate wealth on the backs of people working for me for a compensation package that wasn't at least somewhere close to what the other major carriers were paying their people. One of if not the primary cause for FXG contractors going below the Mendoza Line was their inability to get people to go out there and try to match UPS driver production for the embarrassingly low wages they have to offer them.

I'm smart enough to know that out here in the rural communities word of mouth travels fast and no word travels faster then the reputation of a employer being a bad employer especially one whose demands are completely disproportionate with what he's offering pay wise.

It was a reputation I neither wanted nor needed.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I wasn't going to accumulate wealth on the backs of people working for me for a compensation package that wasn't at least somewhere close to what the other major carriers were paying their people. One of if not the primary cause for FXG contractors going below the Mendoza Line was their inability to get people to go out there and try to match UPS driver production for the embarrassingly low wages they have to offer them.

I'm smart enough to know that out here in the rural communities word of mouth travels fast and no word travels faster then the reputation of a employer being a bad employer especially one whose demands are completely disproportionate with what he's offering pay wise.

It was a reputation I neither wanted nor needed.
So, you weren't capable of making enough money at what you were doing to handsomely compensate your employees, but demand that others do so? I'm not suggesting you should have continued with FXG, but utilize your entrepreneurial savvy to develop your own successful business.

Double standard.

bacha29

So, you weren't capable of making enough money at what you were doing to handsomely compensate your employees, but demand that others do so? I'm not suggesting you should have continued with FXG, but utilize your entrepreneurial savvy to develop your own successful business.

Double standard.
At age 66 why do I need to do that? Depending on an individual's total income they can end up paying federal income tax on up to 85% of their Social Security benefits. I've paid that 85% rate for the past 2 years.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
At age 66 why do I need to do that? Depending on an individual's total income they can end up paying federal income tax on up to 85% of their Social Security benefits. I've paid that 85% rate for the past 2 years.
The main point is you find yourself qualified to criticize Smith unceasingly, but are unqualified to fill even ONE of his shoes.

bacha29

The main point is you find yourself qualified to criticize Smith unceasingly, but are unqualified to fill even ONE of his shoes.
Another closet worshiper of Fred S. At least Dano and Van T have the human qualities sufficient to be open worshipers of Fat Freddy.
What I call attention to is the corrupt nature of the organization . Instead of focusing on what it takes to be the corporation that it tries to make the public believe it is it spends millions and countless man hours of litigation trying to defend it's business practices and millions more on image building.

And Ground? What is there to be said about it? These so called "entrepreneurs" (contractors) are really little more than slave traders who exist for only two reasons...To keep feeding Fat Freddy's cheap labor addiction and to serve as willing cannon fodder in Fat Freddy's ongoing war against unions.