Basic Question

wornoutupser

I had the idea that a BASIC pkg going to a USPS had to be 3 lbs or less.
I saw a 6 lb Yankee Candle going to the USPS today-should'nt a driver deliver that to a house?

browndude

the weight limit on a basic pkg is supposed to be 5 pounds but i had one that i got the postmaster to weigh and it was 12 pounds so i guess one does make it thru once in a while

SmithBarney

Weight restrictions/Size restrictions went up at some point last year, some are large enough that you can only fit 2 in a "smalls bag"

worldwide

"I saw a 6 lb Yankee Candle going to the USPS today-should'nt a driver deliver that to a house?"

What difference does it make where the package goes? UPS is paid whether it goes to the USPS commercial delivery or the residential delivery which is likely further away. A delivery is a delivery.

ups79

so ups is to pay you for a 30 min drive as compared to just taking it to the Post Office? What do you do Not In 1 it so you can drive another 30 mins tommorrow? Get real, they are the employer, you are the employee.

oldpaddy

I'm not quite sure I understand what you people are talking about. A basic package is a ground package, right?
If so, then what the hell are you guys talking about?
We do get paid to deliver packages, right?

Keepingthemhonest

Bring'n sexy back
so ups is to pay you for a 30 min drive as compared to just taking it to the Post Office? What do you do Not In 1 it so you can drive another 30 mins tommorrow? Get real, they are the employer, you are the employee.

get real yourself, this is subcontracting and it should be taken care of next contract. It's simple those are packages routed/sorted by teamsters and should be delivered by teamsters.

outta hours

My post office gets between 15-25 Basic pkgs. per day. Some over 10 lbs. I know it is said this is voulme we would not have without basic, but a lot of shippers we did already have like Target, Lands End, LTD are now mostly basic pkgs. I think Basic has been doing way more than the company let on in the beginning. As usual. I hope the union will address this next year. Between the 2 guys around me another 25 stops per day would almost add another job.

UPSStory

Maybe I'm missing something ... there are packages that make UPS money and packages that cost UPS money. If the number of packages that COST UPS money exceeds the number of packages that MAKE UPS money.. UPS will be losing jobs not adding them.

UPSBOI

You don't want to know!
UPS takes these pkgs in at a reduced rate in the first place and USPS is suppost to make delv to the final customer. Why would you help a direct competitor make there deliveries??? And yes this is Teamster work and should be curbed in the next contract.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The thinking behind Basic is to get new volume by offering the biggest discount we can to draw large accounts away from our competitors. UPS keeps most of the revenue, and saves money by letting the Post Office deliver to remote areas. We probably lose money on rural routes, with Basic, Teamsters are doing most of the work moving the package, the Post Office just makes the final leg of the trip. I have driven country routes before, lots of time and miles to deliver a small package we are losing money on.

outta hours

We probably lose money on rural routes, with Basic, Teamsters are doing most of the work moving the package, the Post Office just makes the final leg of the trip. I have driven country routes before, lots of time and miles to deliver a small package we are losing money on.

I have a rural route and every pkg. I deliver has a $1.50 surcharge on it even the ones in town. Most of the BASIC stuff I have for the post office is going to people in town, not out in the country. I believe I am making the company money. Just because I am not foolish enough to have a route with 200 stops per day does not mean that UPS is "losing money" on the stops I make. UPS has taken advantage of the BASIC service by not sticking to the original agreement( under 5lbs. extended stops only, new shippers only not current ones) The language must be clear and enforced or UPS will push the limit as they always do. Just think if 1 out of 4 of you skip your lunch that 1 million dollars a day in free untaxed labor for UPS. Gee I wonder why they don't enforce the lunch hour rule( except in CA. ha ha )It's because they benefit from it just like with BASIC. Fewer stops per car = less cars and less jobs. WAKE UP PEOPLE.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I guess I have not paid close enough attention to the Basic packages going to the PO's, is the Lands End's shipper number the same for Basic as the 2nd Day Air we've had for years?

ups79

The service is offered to stay competive. If we did not have the service it would mean fewer pkgs picked-up and delivered. Therefore less jobs. Why can't this be understood?

Keepingthemhonest

Bring'n sexy back
yeah lets stay competitive...lay off package car drivers and use feeders to just take the ground volume right to the competition, we do not want it anyway and usps can deliver it for cheaper, we will just deliver the commit times woot!wise up newbie

worldwide

BASIC facts.

--packages are picked up by Teamsters
--packages are soted and loaded by Teamsters
--packages are delivered by Teamsters
--These packages were previously being delivered by USPS or Fedex
--The customer (you remeber the customer, right?) decides which carrier to use. You should be thankful they have have chosen UPS verus another carrier

How is this subcontracting when UPS is picking up and delivering the package and it is handled by Teamsters 100% from pickup to delivery? How is NEW volume bad for Teamsters?

wornoutupser said "That could translate into 30 minutes on the clock for a driver in some areas."
--If UPS never had those packages in the first place and could not get them through regular UPS ground service (with the $1.85 residential surcharge and $2.35 delivery area surchage), you never had that "30 minutes on the clock" to begin with.

area43

I del a rural rt, UPS loses money on rural del. They cant cherry pick the big low weight shippers. All or nothing. rural res. vs city res. Do what you can to min. miles. I ve been with UPS 22 yrs. Bottom line my job is to make UPS a profit. Everthing else is a strong second. These rural customers that want to get away from it all and live down a 1 mile pot hole, tree scratchen, dirty dust road dont expect the world to come to you. I always make it top priority to make alt del locations.